Author Topic: v5.0 Bugs Thread (no longer current)  (Read 10674 times)

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
Re: Official v5.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »
This may be a bug, and then again it may not be but just worded... weird.

when you create a new game and it says

Race Generation complete.
Starting industry has been created based on pop size and government type.

If this is a race with trans-newtonian capability, appropriate ships, ordnance and fighters should be added based on production at current levels.

Then it says - Any non player empires will now be created. making to seem like it was definately referring to you the player.

Well either this is a bug or the popup is wrong or i am doing something terribly wrong at new game screen because i never receive 2 years worth of ships in my homesystem when i choose trans-newtonian!

I did a little testing and i tried the "create ship systems and ship designs" option on/off and I still received no ships, just ship designs.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:54:59 AM by Journier »

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »
Quote from: "Journier"

If this is a race with trans-newtonian capability, appropriate ships, ordnance and fighters should be added based on production at current levels.

Then it says - Any non player empires will now be created. making to seem like it was definately referring to you the player.

Well either this is a bug or the popup is wrong or i am doing something terribly wrong at new game screen because i never receive 2 years worth of ships in my homesystem when i choose trans-newtonian!

I did a little testing and i tried the "create ship systems and ship designs" option on/off and I still received no ships, just ship designs.

Thanks.

The popup isn't wrong and it isn't a bug.  It says "...appropriate ships, ordnance and fighters should be added...", not will be.  The program obviously doesn't know what you want to do for your initial fleet.
You need to add them yourself in SM mode. Spacemaster menu, Fast OB Creation option.  It'll give you two boxes with Remaining Build Points (for Ships and PDCs).  You can add whatever numbers of whichever classes you like.  The totals in the boxes are 2 years worth, but you can ignore that and add what you want.  If you don't tick the box to create tech and ship designs, you have to do that yourself too (obviously) before adding the ships.
Edit: see the tutorial... viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1958

Stephen

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2010, 09:12:01 AM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"

Thanks.

Stephen

Sigh, The wording in the game wins another round against me I guess. It doesnt say you should now go create the ships and deploy them via OB creations screen. It says 2 years of ships should be added. Right after it mentions it created industry etc on the planet.

:|
I know all about the OB creation screen etc but i figured that it might mention something like that?
oh well sorry bout that then .

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »

"Should ..." here means "you the player must go into SM mode and add these things to your empire based on a budget obtained from two years of production at current levels."

John

Offline kongxinga

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • k
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
PLaying 5.01.

I cant see any planets anymore. Just a blue screen. Everytime I pass time, 3 errors pop up every increment. they are

1. error in CentreOnLocation. Error 6 Generated by Aurora Overflow.
2. error 1 comes again.
3. Error in DHM Error 6 Generated by Aurora Overflow.

I think this is yet another unsalvageable game.

If a zoom out or in I crash to desktop after the following message

4. Error in SaveLocation. Error 6 Generated by Aurora. Overflow.

I was not doing anything strange, still stuck in Sol. I did not even do grav surveys yet.

*edit*Thanks Steve, worked like a charm. Trying to reproduce the jumpgate constructor bug I mentioned with this game.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:05:10 PM by kongxinga »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »
Quote from: "kongxinga"
PLaying 5.01.

I cant see any planets anymore. Just a blue screen. Everytime I pass time, 3 errors pop up every increment. they are

2. error 1 comes again.

I was not doing anything strange, still stuck in Sol. I did not even do grav surveys yet.
Is it possible you are zoomed in a long way? Try pressing the Min Zoom button near the top right of the system map.

Steve

Offline Hagar

• Leading Rate
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »
After creating a brigade HQ, I cannot rename the HQ.  The rename widow comes up but the name I type there gets assigned to the last unit I had selected (not the brigade HQ).  If I create a second brigade HQ then I can rename the second one on the list but not the first one.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
Getting the following errors:

Error in cmdDelete_Click
Error 3420 was generated by DAO.Recordset

Found an Earth-like planet and changed its name despite it being inhabited by aliens. The error comes up when I try to abandon the colony that's apparently generated by the name change. It repeated seemingly endlessly: I forcibly closed Aurora after 200 or so tries to get the error window to go away.

Error in cmdPause_Click
Error 381 was generated by MSFlexGrid
Subscript out of range

This happens once whenever I try to pause an ongoing research project.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
Error in cmdPause_Click
Error 381 was generated by MSFlexGrid
Subscript out of range

This happens once whenever I try to pause an ongoing research project.
Reproduced and fixed for v5.02. This is just a display error and won't affect your game.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:54 AM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
Getting the following errors:

Error in cmdDelete_Click
Error 3420 was generated by DAO.Recordset

Found an Earth-like planet and changed its name despite it being inhabited by aliens. The error comes up when I try to abandon the colony that's apparently generated by the name change. It repeated seemingly endlessly: I forcibly closed Aurora after 200 or so tries to get the error window to go away.
I can't reproduce this one yet. I have created a colony on a world populated by another Empire, then renamed it and abandoned the colony. I also tried just renaming an alien-population world but no colony was created and there were no errors. Something else is going on here. In particular the creation of a colony seems strange if you didn't create it. Can you remember anything else that happened in the game with regard to this particular planet?

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
Quote from: "Hagar"
After creating a brigade HQ, I cannot rename the HQ.  The rename widow comes up but the name I type there gets assigned to the last unit I had selected (not the brigade HQ).  If I create a second brigade HQ then I can rename the second one on the list but not the first one.
I can't reproduce this one as I can rename the 1st unit without any problems. Just to clarify, it doesn't matter how many units you have or what order you click them in, the first one on the list cannot be renamed? Or is this specific unit the problem rather than whichever is first on the list?

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »
Quote from: "kongxinga"
PLaying 5.01.

2. error 1 comes again.

*edit*Thanks Steve, worked like a charm. Trying to reproduce the jumpgate constructor bug I mentioned with this game.
It's best to reply rather than edit as most of the time I won't notice the edit :)

I keep trying to eliminate the bug you mentioned by restricting the zoom in but it keeps re-appearing. I'll restrict the zoom-in a little more for v5.02

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
I can't reproduce this one as I can rename the 1st unit without any problems. Just to clarify, it doesn't matter how many units you have or what order you click them in, the first one on the list cannot be renamed? Or is this specific unit the problem rather than whichever is first on the list?

Steve

I've had this issue to, though it is not consistent. Sometimes when I click the first unit, it doesn't "accept" the click and I end up renaming another unit.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I've had this issue to, though it is not consistent. Sometimes when I click the first unit, it doesn't "accept" the click and I end up renaming another unit.
v5.02 has the current name highlighted within the rename box so at least you will be able to see which unit you are renaming, until I pin this one down.

Steve

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »
Can you remember anything else that happened in the game with regard to this particular planet?
I may've renamed it before I found out there were aliens living there, but I'm not sure. I don't think anything else happened. They don't seem to have any ships around, and the colony may be tiny, considering the Thermal and EM signature: 55.

EDIT: I think I've come across another bug, this time much more serious. Every now and then, the game would hang when processing long turns (1+ days), often around the time NPRs fought elsewhere in the galaxy. But just now, the game has begun to refuse to process turns longer than 20 minutes. The game just stops responding indefinitely. I'll keep trying to advance time, hoping this problem goes away. :(

EDIT2: The problem's gone now, but it should be looked into, if at all possible. Maybe there's something wrong with the automatic sub-pulse selection, or the NPR-controlled time-skipping.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:31:48 PM by Shadow »