Author Topic: v5.0 Bugs Thread (no longer current)  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Official v5.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
As a work around for renaming brigade/division HQ units I will first add battalions to the hq then double click on the hq.  This hides all of the subordinate units.  I then click on the unit I want to change the name on again and it will let me do so.  

Brian

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
Oh, one detail about the problematic colony. To rename it, I went into the System View window and used the Rename Body option.

And I just realized about the Ban Body option, which would've been useful to keep civilian companies from shipping colonists there, but it's too late: they already have. :x

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"

I can't reproduce this one as I can rename the 1st unit without any problems. Just to clarify, it doesn't matter how many units you have or what order you click them in, the first one on the list cannot be renamed? Or is this specific unit the problem rather than whichever is first on the list?

I had this too occationaly.
I got in the habbit of clicking (selecting) another unit first, then clicking on the first one I realy want to rename. It usually works then.
It seems as if the first unit in the list is selected allready when you open the ground units tab, but not realy selected. Clicking on it right away will not change the "semi-select" to full select. But if I select a different one first, the "semi-select" is removed and I can then "real-select" the first unit on the list.
I hope someone undestands what I mean :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
Error In Display System Bodies
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow

Happens when i turn on passive sensors in f3 system screen (under sensors tab)

with the x100 setting selected

i have 50 tracking stations on earth.

I do remember this bug being spoke of in 4.91 bug list but for a different reason, (i think it was civilian ships???) , and i thought it was fixed, but its not entirely fixed when the sensor range apparently reaches out past max zoom out level.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2010, 04:16:56 PM »
Might've found something else. Teams seem to be behaving oddly. I dropped an espionage team and a diplomatic one in the aforementioned alien planet (which I've deemed Oasis) a good while ago, but they seem to not exist and exist at the same time now. They don't appear in the Teams / Academy screen of any colony, and their members can't be chosen for new teams.

However, the members themselves exist, according to the Officer Corps screen, and are in fact still assigned to the half-vanished teams. Another odd detail is that at least the team leaders (can't remember the names of their subordinates) are on Earth, despite having been dropped in Oasis. Neither team can't be picked up by any ship, but the diplomatic one can still be assigned via the Diplomacy screen.

Bizarre. Could this be related to the errors caused by my abandon attempt back then? Perhaps the game half-deleted the team before the error stopped it. Or something.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
I keep trying to eliminate the bug you mentioned by restricting the zoom in but it keeps re-appearing. I'll restrict the zoom-in a little more for v5.02

Something to be aware of, Steve:  a while back (probably late 4.9x) I had a system with a distant binary which hit floating point issues at a different zoom level than is typical.  When I'm setting up my pickets, I normally zoom in so that their detection radius fills most of the screen (so I can set a waypoint that's offset by a detection radius from the WP).  Normally this works ok, but in this system IIRC I had to stop zoom one level before the one I normally go into.  I didn't think of it as a big deal at the time, since the binary was a significant fraction of a light-year out, and I figured that the binary was setting the scale that controls the dynamic range of the system.  If you're trying to stomp out zoom bugs, though, then you should probably be aware of this effect.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"

I can't reproduce this one as I can rename the 1st unit without any problems. Just to clarify, it doesn't matter how many units you have or what order you click them in, the first one on the list cannot be renamed? Or is this specific unit the problem rather than whichever is first on the list?

I got in the habbit of clicking (selecting) another unit first, then clicking on the first one I realy want to rename. It usually works then.
It seems as if the first unit in the list is selected allready when you open the ground units tab, but not realy selected. Clicking on it right away will not change the "semi-select" to full select. But if I select a different one first, the "semi-select" is removed and I can then "real-select" the first unit on the list.

Me five (if I've counted correctly).

My experience is more along the lines of Erik's - I just keep clicking until it "sticks".  The reason I'm quoting Hawkeye's mail is the bit about selection troubles with the first items in a list - I might be wrong, but I think I've noticed similar things with the errors selecting officers from the "ranked by skill" list on the right (there seem to be certain officers that pop up an error on that side, and they seem to congregate near the top of the list - I can post the actual error the next time I see it if you're not familiar with it - I think it's been posted before).

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
Might've found something else. Teams seem to be behaving oddly. I dropped an espionage team and a diplomatic one in the aforementioned alien planet (which I've deemed Oasis) a good while ago, but they seem to not exist and exist at the same time now. They don't appear in the Teams / Academy screen of any colony, and their members can't be chosen for new teams.

Note that anything you put onto a body must be contained within one of your colonies.  In other words, you aren't actually dropping those teams onto the body, you're putting them in a colony (that belongs to you, not to the aliens) on the body.  When you deleted the colony, you essentially evacuated or destroyed everything inside the colony, including the teams.  My recollection is that Steve recently put code in place to magically teleport such "orphaned" teams back to your home world - it sounds like he missed a few spots.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
News Report:  "30th March, 2217 - A purge of the officer corps was instituted today by the Federation Government...."

Ok, this is a bit weird - I just had 4 army colonels get RIF'd.  I'm on a 24 month update, so the usual time for the purges/reassignments is in January of even-numbered years.  Didn't have anyone else get RIF'd, nor did anyone get reassigned.  I had made some brigade-commander reassignments after the previous econ update, but I don't see why that should trigger the RIF code.

John

Note to self: the pre-RIF DB is "save012" if Steve wants a copy of it.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »
Success! :D

[center:36euf9iv]|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Oasis Liberation Ribbon
Promotion value: 100

Awarded to officers who fought for the Terran Federation in the Battle of Oasis.

5th June 2044 -- 21st July 2044

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/center:36euf9iv]

But fear not! This is, in fact, a bug report. My relations with the aliens (The Empire of Kaluga, in case I hadn't mentioned it before) haven't deteriorated at all despite the Battle of Oasis. They still have a neutral stance towards me, and the relations keep getting warmer. And the fact they still exist after such engagement suggests Oasis was merely one of their colonies (a theory that's further reinforced by the fact there were no civilians living on Oasis, and the contracts section had one demanding for deep space tracking stations).

As for the half-vanished teams, I managed to find their members fairly easily (they were among the best diplomats/spies) through the Officer Corps screen. I worked around the problem by simply unassigning them and recreating the teams.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Me five (if I've counted correctly).

My experience is more along the lines of Erik's - I just keep clicking until it "sticks".  The reason I'm quoting Hawkeye's mail is the bit about selection troubles with the first items in a list - I might be wrong, but I think I've noticed similar things with the errors selecting officers from the "ranked by skill" list on the right (there seem to be certain officers that pop up an error on that side, and they seem to congregate near the top of the list - I can post the actual error the next time I see it if you're not familiar with it - I think it's been posted before).
I have reproduced it now. I have fixed it by automatically making the 1st unit in the list the active unit when the F2 window is first loaded. In v5.02, if you open the window and press Rename without selecting a ground unit, you should see the name of the 1st unit appear in the rename box.

Steve

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
By the way, I apologize if I'm reporting stuff that's actually working as designed, but I'm too much of a newbie to realize. :oops:

Some guys at the Bay12 forums think the reason my relations with the Kalugans haven't deteriorated after my invasion is that the aliens didn't have any sensor equipment on the planet, so couldn't identify the attacking force before they were wiped out.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »
NPRs were not suffering fire delays after transiting a jump point. Fixed for v5.02

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
By the way, I apologize if I'm reporting stuff that's actually working as designed, but I'm too much of a newbie to realize. :oops:

Some guys at the Bay12 forums think the reason my relations with the Kalugans haven't deteriorated after my invasion is that the aliens didn't have any sensor equipment on the planet, so couldn't identify the attacking force before they were wiped out.
If it was ground combat only, that might be the problem. I think I added hostility checks to ship combat and planetary bombardment but I may have missed ground combat.

Steve

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
Still recovering unknown and unknowable components from wrecks! Saw this in 4.91

[attachment=0:8mjsnvz1]Tech Download 2.jpg[/attachment:8mjsnvz1]

Regards
IanD