Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later  (Read 147453 times)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later
« Reply #840 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
What would help me immensely would be if I click on or, preferably, double click on a system in the galactic map that the system map and the main population and production pages would update to the system in question.  I keep doing this when playing as it seems like it should be the logical action when manipulating the map.

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #841 on: April 23, 2012, 07:22:39 AM »
What would help me immensely would be if I click on or, preferably, double click on a system in the galactic map that the system map and the main population and production pages would update to the system in question.  I keep doing this when playing as it seems like it should be the logical action when manipulating the map.
I agree with this, I know the SYS MAP button is there which does this, but would it be much of a hassle to swap around the sys map button with the system summary we get from double clicking now?

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #842 on: April 23, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Highways.

Select a starting system, add a system it connects to, add a system that that system connects to, so on and so forth. A system should only be added once. Then when you have a fleet on one end of your empire that you want to transfer to the other end 20 jumps away you move it to the nearest highway system, give it a 'join highway' order or some such, and follow that with a 'leave highway at x' order where x is one of the systems listed, and it fills in the jump orders for the intervening systems.

Or just a 'travel to system x' order would suit me fine as well.  ;D

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #843 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »
Highways.

Interesting idea.
That is similar to something discusses previously.  When it came up before it was in the context of defining trade routes for civilian ships to follow.  No reason why defining trade routes couldn't be expanded to travel routes in general.

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #844 on: April 23, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »
I wouldn't mind some sort of option in the game setup, with the difficulty rating and NPR generation chance and all that, to increase or decrease the general availability of minerals in the game. I realize, obviously, that SM mode can freely edit this, but tweaking multiple systems isn't as elegant as simply having the ability to fudge the mineral generation routines to make them more likely to give you what you want. Also, it feels less cheaty that way.

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Apologies if the idea was already given by someone. Too many posts to read.

What I'd like is some form of saying to an NPR: do not approach. As it is right now, an NPR will just go... everywhere. When I play alone, it may not be such a big deal, but when roleplaying that means many NPRs who didn't have to be enemies will be. Govelha host may be an example from NATO vs Soviets campaign. If there was a way to tell them "don't come here", a war could be avoided. I have three ideas how that could be accomplished. Please note I have no idea how hard to programm, and by extension, how hard to implement those ideas are, so they may very well be unworkable.

1. A button avaiable only for SM that places a kind of waypoint on the map, that selected NPR will not approach closer than 50 million kilometres (the value is taken from the hat; it may diffrent or, perhaps better, adjustable). So, if you put such a "don't approach flag" close to a jump point, a NPR won't enter it.
2. A somewhat more complicated option is similar to the above. Give a waypoint with adjustable range, that the NPRs will not approach to anyone, as normal, non-SM part of the game. However, it will not work unliterarly. If NPR is hostile, for example, he will ignore it. If the waypoint is in his own system, he may not only ignore it, putting it may damage relations (this basically means, you're damanding part of his own territory - not nice). This of course is just a rough draft. Such a "don't come here" flag may become extremly overpowered, which is why I kind of prefer the SM version.
3. A ship (normal, in-game) that closes the part of jump point he sits on. For example, we have two systems A and B connected by jump point. If the ship sits on B side of the point, you cannot enter A from B, but you can enter B from A. What will that do? Basically, a NPR will have two choices: either leave the point alone, as it is not accessible, or fire on you ship. Once destroyed, the point is cleared. That means, that while neutral/friendly NPR won't be able to translate the point, hostile ones will just shoot it and move on. Plus, checks can be made to see if a presense of such a ship is irritating enough for NPR to either make diplomatic relations suffer or even go to war.

Those are just my ideas of course. But to be honset I care less about how it is done, as much as whethever it is done. It seems in my current, role-playing campaign, I will have to go to war with NPR becuose he enters where he should not.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #846 on: April 30, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »
I would agree with Haji, some more treaty elements would be very helpful. In particular I'd like to be able to ask NPRs not to build jump gates in my home systems!

Similarly it would be great to be able to tell civilian ships which systems they should not enter and to stop them from trading with NPRs. It makes going to war with NPRs due to the above even more of a pain.

Offline DatAlien

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #847 on: May 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »
I just noticed that I used the wrong thread

Some mechanic that tells you how much characters you can put into a field or how deep can your naval organization be (I spent 1 hour of assigning parasites to branches only to have them cut off when I moved the parent branch one node deeper (and is organization really spelled that way, the z looks strange)) (And now I deleted my carrierfleet instead of removing a branch :o)

And I would like being able to group all ship classes in squadrons (esp. FACs)

Per se ad astra

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #848 on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
is organization really spelled that way, the z looks strange)

I think that is due to the invasion of an alien species from across the great ocean. Legend has it they may be from a long-lost colony that has strayed from the true path. Their Zs (commonly referred to as Zees rather than the correct terminology of Zeds) have been infiltrating for several years and also killing off the indigenous Us.

Steve

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #849 on: May 01, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
I can't broker the use of "Zed." Consonant letters' names should minimize the use of other consonants' sounds. If you accept that 'Z' is pronounced "Zee," then all you have to do is violently purge 'W' from the alphabet and you've achieved a pretty solid level of uniformity. 'H' is also a problem, but not an abomination.

Bee Cee Dee Eff Gee ?AECHE? Jay Kay Ell Em En Pee Que Arr Ess Tee Vee ?!?DUBBA-U?!? Ex Zee.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:47:53 PM by Moonshadow101 »

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #850 on: May 01, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Suggestion for orders. I'd like to see a "Begin Task Force Training" order along with "End Task Force Training" and potentially for the Overhaul order to wait until the overhaul is completed before moving to the next order. It would be nice to be able to automate task force training exercises with some time delayed commands.

Also, I'd like to suggest adding an "Projects in Queue" row to the table showing research projects. It would shave a lot of time searching through dozens of queued projects for a certain scientist if I could just glance at number remaining. Something like

Current Research ProjectProject LeaderResearch LabsAnnual RPRP RequiredCompletion DateQueuePause
LG Salvage Module 750Toby Shepard - LG 55%25224007636.816th March 22672No

...and a third edit. It would be nice if Microwaves could disable engines on ships. Right now I've only considered them useful for knife-range against shielded or fire-control happy opponents, but mesons bypass shields and can damage the things shooting you, and anything fire-control happy at beam range is going to have WAY too much parasitic weight to be a useful combatant anyway. IMHO, microwaves sound like something which would be perfect if mounted on a boarding ship, until I realize that A) It doesn't help boarding in any way since the ship is still moving, it just now can't shoot at you and B) If the ship is shooting at you in the first place, why the crap are you sending in a boarding team?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:29:49 PM by Havear »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #851 on: May 02, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
I think that is due to the invasion of an alien species from across the great ocean. Legend has it they may be from a long-lost colony that has strayed from the true path. Their Zs (commonly referred to as Zees rather than the correct terminology of Zeds) have been infiltrating for several years and also killing off the indigenous Us.

Steve
Speaking as a member of said invasive species, I like Us.  On the other hand, nobody here accepts them.  And what's this about Zeds?  I've never heard that.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #852 on: May 02, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
The people in our hat also add unnecessary consonants to their letter sounds.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #853 on: May 02, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
The people in our hat also add unnecessary consonants to their letter sounds.

Most people here that I know say 'Zee', although there are a few that say 'Zed'.

I still spell with all the U's though, screw that lazy 'color', 'armor', 'honor' stuff.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #854 on: May 02, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Speaking of useless letters in words, where do all the extra e's come from?  I detest seeing signs for shoppe's and centre's.