Author Topic: Some more biology research  (Read 8145 times)

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Some more biology research
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
well the German paratroopers of WW 2 had amphetamines, and some other "ups" when they jumped into combat. . .  So why not some kind of "supersoldier". . .  :-\
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:03 AM »
Aye, it would be nice to be able to genetically engineer troops, I'm not sure how that would differ in effect from the "Ground Unit Strength" research. Adjusting longevity of the species via genetic enhancement would also be pretty cool, I'm actually surprised its not already in.

Genetic research could also have other effects, like increasing productivity/income/manufacturing output of a planet - like a leaders bonuses giving a small percent of enhancement, you could temper that with unrest (as in today where folks are unhappy about GM stuff).

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:19 AM »
I think changing up ground combat will happen with he ground combat overhaul that contains more than abstract numbers.

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
Super genetically tailored stimulants that don't have withdrawal like POWERTHIRST!
But then nature will be all like SLOOOOW DOOOOWN.
And if everybody has 400 babies the population would explo-
Actually, that last one might be handy, maybe a tech that allows for increased population growth? Or at least a pop growth characteristic in new subspecies?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »
Could be helpful.
Actually the population growth is probably a little on the high side.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 06:18:07 AM »
some form of growth modifier - perhaps troop growing facilities and some form of expansion to the tech tree to do with troops

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
^^ well i would like to see some Genetic-Archeology. Say you find some ruins and in these ruins some alien remains. If yo research this remains you could get a new species or "modification" for you Genetic modification centers.

If natural radiation from Stars, Gasgiants and the planets themselves would be in some modifications against radiation would be nice too. More environmental adaptions would be nice anyway say mods that adapt a species to the over-abundance of water (Waterworld and Insmouth people) or to extreme scarcity of it (think tatoine). How much light and also its color and strength affect people and the entire ecology. 

And why not proto-swarm like tech? I mean Humanity created its first own biological laser.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
perhaps biological weapons could also require biological supplies ( farms on planets, biovats or other sources ) ie enemy citizens body fluids

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
Just a random and out there suggestion, maybe you can bio-engineer a dangerous virus to drop on enemy worlds. Higher tech levels would make the virus more dangerous/faster acting/faster spreading etc. etc.

A sufficiently strong/prepared enemy can work on some sort of antivirus and administer it to the population of the planet.

Due to the hellishly destructive nature of this feature, the tech line should be rather high in RP.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
reasonable idea biological ( perhaps chemical weapons) and their cure-prevention technologies are another avenue for ingame technology expansion and impact on gameplay

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
Perhaps you can research bionic enhancements, like some sort of cyborg attatchment that makes crewmembers faster/stronger/quicker thinking etc. etc, so for example when being boarded it changes the 100 crew = 1 defense thing* to 75 crew = 1 defense etc. etc.

*assuming that figure is still correct

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
bio-mechnanical enhancement technology is pretty well potentially viable ingame giving soilders and crew additonal bonuses

Offline Lex Talionias

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 06:56:57 AM »
why am i the 1st to suggest the ability to clone your best officers?

it would be totally bad-ass to spend some wealth and have an entire military led by clone 1# to 1000# of captain McBadass.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »

it would be totally bad-ass to spend some wealth and have an entire military led by clone 1# to 1000# of captain McBadass.
And than they all get the same diseases :P

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »

But how much of Capt McBadass is traing and experience and how much is physiological?  It's the whole nature vs nature thing.  Personally, IMHO you might get something that looks like Capt McBadass but unless you can insert all of his/her memories it means nothing.
Welchbloke