Author Topic: Official v5.30 Bugs Thread  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Official v5.30 Bugs Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
I don't know if this is related, but anyway...

Twice when fighting robot guardians I've ended up with a second, conquered (empty) colony on the same planet. In both cases, I had not ordered my units to cease fire after destroying the last enemy, and the conquered colony appeared after the next interval. This has never happened if I cease fire. I've never tried to deliberately duplicate the problem, however, so I'm not sure about the cause. Using 5.20, not 5.30.
I have had this happen also in 5.2, in 5.3 it is better, but there are still times that it happens, although only when in SM mode that I can remember.  I have a 5.2 database that I saved in case Steve wanted it.  I am not sure if you can look back in for something that old now though.

Brian

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
Hello,

I have a couple bugs that I've run into with a clean install of version 5.   30 that I thought that I'd report.   

First off, an easy one - clicking on the report that a colony has run out of a mineral will give several "divide by 0" errors.   

Secondly, the one that I found strange enough that I decided to register:

A wormhole ship just hit one of my ships for a volly of size 32 torpedoes that all hit for -73 damage.   

(pasted from the text dump):

25th May 2065 09:43:16,Barnards Star,SV Vulture II 001 - CIWS-80 targeting Torp 32 at 10000 km using point blank fire : Base Chance to Hit: 50% (Base To Hit: 50%  Modified by Crew Grade: 50%)
25th May 2065 09:43:16,Barnards Star,CIWS-80 (Modified by Tracking Speed: 5%)  missed.   
25th May 2065 09:43:16,Barnards Star,1 weapons fired.    0 missiles destroyed
25th May 2065 09:43:16,Barnards Star,Vulture II 001 hit by -73 points of damage from Torp 32
25th May 2065 09:43:16,Barnards Star,The ship has no shields

(another 15 hits)

25th May 2065 09:43:16,Barnards Star,Strength -73 Nuclear Detonation x16 detected!

Going to the ship details screen shows the ship entirely unhurt.   

Note that this wormhole ship has had absolutely no problem taking apart the rest of my combat ships, fighters, and the other two members of this salvage taskforce.   

Third – and I’m not certain if this is a bug or not – there doesn’t seem to be any way to delete empty fighter squadrons after they’ve lost all the fighters assigned to them.    After several large battles, I have 5 empty squadrons sitting in my fighter screen (I was able to remove their taskforce groups from the taskforce screen without issue).   

Forth – trying to assign a second medal to an officer who already has that medal (in my case, trying to award a second purple heart) will throw an error 3022 in DAO.   Recordset.    While I suppose this isn’t unexpected (it doesn’t like duplicates), and by making a purple heart II medal fixed the issue, it’d be neat if instead the program would throw a star on the medal and count it twice.   

Anyway, thanks for your time – this is an amazing (and amazingly complex!) game.   

edit: Oh, and the Wiki's been down for a couple days, but I assume that's not a problem on your end. 

edit (2): just as a followup to #2, the following torpedo volley blew up the ship, as expected.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:34:00 PM by AlStar »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
A fleet of 5 of these ships -
Code: [Select]
Essex II class Troop Transport    20,000 tons     492 Crew     2850.2 BP      TCS 400  TH 165  EM 0
3437 km/s     Armour 6-65     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 9     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 355%    IFR: 4.9%    Maint Capacity 802 MSP    Max Repair 156 MSP    Est Time: 1.22 Years
Troop Capacity: 5 Battalions    Drop Capacity: 5 Battalions    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20   

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E5 (11)    Power 125    Fuel Use 50%    Signature 15    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 36.0 billion km   (121 days at full power)

ECM 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Can load a full division (1 DHQ, 4BHQ, 16 Brig of various non-Engineer types), but cannot load them all into drop capsules?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 02:02:13 PM »
And a related issue.

The troops in the drop modules were unable to drop onto a hostile population. The only option was "Boarding Action" which gets denied due to the population not being a PDC or ship.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
Cloaking devices do not show up in the Tech Report (Ctrl-F7) after being designed.

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »
That's what I had done also. Dropped a brigade of infantry and 4 engineer units along with the Xeno team. Once the Xeno team did their work, the engineers started theirs. There was 170-180 installations I believe. When it got to 70 or so, the robots had managed to destroy 2 installations (in about 6-8 waves), and kill off maybe half a million civs. When that last wave was destroyed, the civ ship in orbit was "captured", the population became vanquished and reparations were paid out.

The ground units (and their commanders) disappeared into the aether. The colony stayed where it was. I opened the db and changed their status back to an imperial pop, wiped out the unrest and points to become an imperial pop and gave the colony ground units again.

Since then, they've cleaned out ~another 20 installations and no robots.

The variant of this I seem to have gotten started similarly: I opened up ruins, got robot attackers, and attacked them, rather than just defending against them. The turn after I wiped them out, my attackers continued, and I got a "they surrender" message, and a "PDC Captured" message. My ground units appeared to have disappeared.

I turned SM mode on, and, with some investigating, it looks like a second colony had been made on the world, and my units were in that colony. I was able to transfer them back to my original colony. (The only way I could tell a difference was by which one had a governor and installations in the economic view.)

I don't know how the robots in ruins are handled, but if they're being spawned into their own colony, perhaps that's the root cause?

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »
I have just started up a Pre TN Game and I get this error

Move foward and draw fire

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »
Put a ship in for a refit, realized that it was the wrong ship, so I deleted the task. However, the ship now seems to be in a permanent overhaul state.

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
I don't know if this error is 5.30 specific but nonetheless it could be a bug. I copied to files to a usb memory stick due to my vacation. I tried to run the game from the usb on a laptop which did not have Aurora installed.

I get an error along the lines of "System.ocx missing etc." It is reproduceable, happens every time I try to run Aurora.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
I don't know if this error is 5.30 specific but nonetheless it could be a bug. I copied to files to a usb memory stick due to my vacation. I tried to run the game from the usb on a laptop which did not have Aurora installed.

I get an error along the lines of "System.ocx missing etc." It is reproduceable, happens every time I try to run Aurora.

You'll need to install Aurora onto the laptop. That should fix the missing ocx issue. You can install it to the USB drive, just make sure your game database (stevefire.mdb) is NOT in the install directory prior to installation.

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »
You'll need to install Aurora onto the laptop. That should fix the missing ocx issue. You can install it to the USB drive, just make sure your game database (stevefire.mdb) is NOT in the install directory prior to installation.
I see. But what if anything, can I do seeing as I just copied the files straight from my hard drive to the usb? Is it just a copypaste and done or will I have to do anything else. Please note that I have no internet on my computer. Posting by phone is slow. :[

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
I see. But what if anything, can I do seeing as I just copied the files straight from my hard drive to the usb? Is it just a copypaste and done or will I have to do anything else. Please note that I have no internet on my computer. Posting by phone is slow. :[

The OCX files get copied to the Windows/System directory. Your best bet is to download and install it to the laptop. Of course, if you have no net connection on the laptop, you are pretty much screwed :(

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
The OCX files get copied to the Windows/System directory. Your best bet is to download and install it to the laptop. Of course, if you have no net connection on the laptop, you are pretty much screwed :(
Thanks, man. I'll check tomorrow if copying the files works or if re-downloading is my only option. Toodles for now, sleepan time.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Put a ship in for a refit, realized that it was the wrong ship, so I deleted the task. However, the ship now seems to be in a permanent overhaul state.

I think I've been there before a loooong time ago.  I vaguely recall repairing something in the DB like this - the problem I recall is that the overhaul and refit "flags" are stored in the same (integer) column in the ship table.  I think 3 meant both refit and overhaul, and.... errr don't remember the details of what I figured out.  I might even be misremembering - I might have been trying to fix something else.

You might try telling the ship to refit to itself, or try to put the TG into overhaul.  If you want to go into the DB, you might try setting the overhaul clock on the ship in question to the current time (so the overhaul will end quickly).  Or, as long as you're in the DB, you could probably just set the flag to "normal" (assuming you can find it).

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »
I think I've been there before a loooong time ago.  I vaguely recall repairing something in the DB like this - the problem I recall is that the overhaul and refit "flags" are stored in the same (integer) column in the ship table.  I think 3 meant both refit and overhaul, and.... errr don't remember the details of what I figured out.  I might even be misremembering - I might have been trying to fix something else.

You might try telling the ship to refit to itself, or try to put the TG into overhaul.  If you want to go into the DB, you might try setting the overhaul clock on the ship in question to the current time (so the overhaul will end quickly).  Or, as long as you're in the DB, you could probably just set the flag to "normal" (assuming you can find it).

John
I detached the ship from its fleet and sent the fleet out to work. After about 45 days or so, the ship came out of refit and was sent out to play.