Author Topic: Mining ships & others questions  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Mining ships & others questions
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
Hi!

1. Say I have a mining ships with remote mining module. What is the best course of approach? i.e do I have to add cargo hold to it, or a freighter in same fleet is ok?

2. Can I remote mine an occupied planet, like Earth (contrary to Stars! ;) ).

3. How can I know if I need a xeno team on a particular planet? Is it written somewhere that research have been done on alien ruins, for a given body? Do I have to do that for asteroids too? Only planets & moons?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Mining ships & others questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
Mining ships only mine asteroids.  The easiest way to mine them if you have an occupied planet in system is to have a mass driver along and place it on the asteroid.  All minerals mined will be on the asteroid so you do not need any cargo holds for that.

As for the ruins.  When you look at the summary tab of the population and production screen (F2) in the top left there is a summary of the status for the ruins.  If you need a xeno team to work on the ruins you will see a bunch of question marks.  If your xeno team is done it will have the name of the empire, how many installations are present, and the general tech level.  More xeno teams will increase your chances to figure out the language, but it can still take a long time for the larger installations.

Brian

Offline Sloshmonger

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »
1) Ships with Asteroid Mining modules will harvest from any asteroid or comet that they are at (Move To), but that asteroid or comet needs to be a colony as well for them to dump their minerals there.   They do not automatically put minerals in cargo.

2) You can use Automated Miner on any body to harvest its minerals without a population, but you cannot use Asteroid miners  to harvest a planet or moon.   Gas Planets or Super-Jovians are a special case where you can't use Automated Miners, but if a ship has a Sorium Harvester they will mine the Sorium and create fuel, no cargo bay required)

3) A Xeno team is only required if there are ruins on a planet.   You can find ruins by Geo-surveying planets.   You will know there are ruins because they show up in at least 3 places.   First, they show up on the planet's info on the System (F9) screen.   Second, the map (F3) screen, on the Display 2 tab, shows all known ruins.   Third, on the Industry/Research/everything (F2) screen, if you have a colony on a body with a ruin it will show on the Summary tab of that body.   If that summary tab shows "Unknown", then you need a Xeno team.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
Thanks, very informative.

I see that Engineer brigades get officers with xeno bonus... Does it means that adding these brigades on the surface of a planet with a ruin will help the xeno team?

Just to confirm, Sorium harvesters convert it automatically to fuel that goes into their fuel tank, right?

Plus, mining ships can't work with cargo, I need to create an empty colony at the asteroid to have the minerals dumped there, no other mean?

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
I see that Engineer brigades get officers with xeno bonus... Does it means that adding these brigades on the surface of a planet with a ruin will help the xeno team?

No, the officer's Xeno bonus reduces the time that the brigade requires to recover ruins, which happens after the Xeno team has identified them. Edit: The combined Xeno bonus of the team members determines how quickly they do that.

Just to confirm, Sorium harvesters convert it automatically to fuel that goes into their fuel tank, right?

Correct.

Plus, mining ships can't work with cargo, I need to create an empty colony at the asteroid to have the minerals dumped there, no other mean?

Yes, you need a colony, empty or not, for the minerals. You can then use freighters or mass drivers to move the minerals. Edit: Though you could put cargo holds on the miner and have it load from the colony and them transport the mineral somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:40:37 PM by Ziusudra »

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Also Engineer Brigades 'stack' so 2 will restore ruins faster than 1 etc

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:32:48 AM »
Mmmmh, I'm now slightly confused. Do I NEED engineer brigades, or do they just speed up the process? I have a planet with:

Abandonned installations ??
Unknown race - xenoteam required

I have a xenoteam there, do I need to add brigades?

and (b) do I need to drop a xenoteam on every celestial body, or only on bodies where there is the line Unknown race - xenoteam required appearing?

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:12:35 AM »
I think you need a xeno team on alien installations to learn the language and recover tech.
Engineering brigades recover installations and I also think you need the xeno teams there first (language?).

I have never used the before but in Steve's Trans Newtonian campaign IIRC that is basically what he idd with alien ruins he encountered.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »
Xeno team first, and after they are done, engineer brigades. The Xeno team has to figure out the language of the race that built the ruins before the engineers can do anything with the ruins. Once the Xeno team has done that, the engineers will automatically begin trying to recover the ruins so they can be used. The Xeno team does not need engineers.

It would be a good idea to have some infantry with the engineers, just in case they stumble upon dormant defenses in the ruins.

Also, a population on a planet with ruins will produce a trade good. If the engineers recover all the ruins on the planet, that trade good will no longer be produced.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:34:43 AM »
If I have a colony with a xenoteam on a planet with ruins, but no engineers, is there a chance for those dormant defenses to awaken?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:08 AM »
If I have a colony with a xenoteam on a planet with ruins, but no engineers, is there a chance for those dormant defenses to awaken?
No, they are only activated as you try to salvage installations.  One of the installations that you can "activate" is a battalion to brigade size ground force that will attack you.

Brian

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
No, they are only activated as you try to salvage installations.  One of the installations that you can "activate" is a battalion to brigade size ground force that will attack you.

Brian

Hm, what are all these metallic humanoids with the pointy bits and gun-parts?  Lets see if we can turn them on...

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
Btw. you can send some geoteams to the meteors you are mining and you can set a governer with mining spec. This makes your mining-op faster and ore efficient. Also iirc some captains may have the mining spec but i am not sure if that helps with mining. 
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
AS I UNDERSTAND IT:  the ship officer bonuses affect the ship on which they are placed (unless its a task force commander?), and the planetary govs do not affect production on the minerals.  At least, this is how it works for terraforming, I assumed it was the case for mining as well.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 04:57:52 AM »
AS I UNDERSTAND IT:  the ship officer bonuses affect the ship on which they are placed (unless its a task force commander?), and the planetary govs do not affect production on the minerals.  At least, this is how it works for terraforming, I assumed it was the case for mining as well.

That's correct.

Steve