Author Topic: New players first experience  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
Re: New players first experience
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
smeg, I think some misunderstandings developed because of my understatement of the tech situation.

At the initial 10k range, an 8HS BFC with a twin turret will have a 50% hit rate with four shots (2) while a 16HS BFC with a single turret will have a 75% hit rate with two shots (1.5). If the BFC had a 20k base range, you'd be looking at a 75% hit rate with four shots (3) versus an 87.5% with two (1.75).

The "four shots" comments here were referencing the fact that, with the RoF tech at two, two GCs will get off a combined total of four shots, *not* the requirement that he have researched RoF 4. The bit in parenthesis is simply the expected number of hits (I assumed that would've been fairly easy to deduce, but I figured I'd state it clearly just to make sure).

Not sure where you got the 7% increase in HS use, as my numbers were significantly smaller (My numbers showed a 0.16HS increase using the 8HS BFC). Using a 40% gear figure (Standard if you're matching turret and BFC tracking techs), a single GC turret would be 8.4 and a twin would be 16.56. Take off the 8HS from the reduced BFC and you're left with a 0.16HS increase, or, in percentage terms, a 0.65% HS increase.

Largely agree with your closing paragraph, although BFC and turret tracking speeds are high on the list as well (The former a bit more than the latter as BFCs have a hard cap, unlike turrets).

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
smeg, I think some misunderstandings developed because of my understatement of the tech situation.
At the initial 10k range, an 8HS BFC with a twin turret will have a 50% hit rate with four shots (2) while a 16HS BFC with a single turret will have a 75% hit rate with two shots (1.5). If the BFC had a 20k base range, you'd be looking at a 75% hit rate with four shots (3) versus an 87.5% with two (1.75).
The "four shots" comments here were referencing the fact that, with the RoF tech at two, two GCs will get off a combined total of four shots, *not* the requirement that he have researched RoF 4. The bit in parenthesis is simply the expected number of hits (I assumed that would've been fairly easy to deduce, but I figured I'd state it clearly just to make sure).
NSS.  I agreed with the difference between single and twin turrets.

Quote from: Ashery
Not sure where you got the 7% increase in HS use, as my numbers were significantly smaller (My numbers showed a 0.16HS increase using the 8HS BFC). Using a 40% gear figure (Standard if you're matching turret and BFC tracking techs), a single GC turret would be 8.4 and a twin would be 16.56. Take off the 8HS from the reduced BFC and you're left with a 0.16HS increase, or, in percentage terms, a 0.65% HS increase.
I stand corrected here, I was using a turret mass calculator that I had not updated with the new formula sans rounding. 

Quote from: Ashery
Largely agree with your closing paragraph, although BFC and turret tracking speeds are high on the list as well (The former a bit more than the latter as BFCs have a hard cap, unlike turrets).
Granted.  But, if Max Tracking Time Bonus 20% has not been researched yet it will provided a much greater PD improvement for the research investment.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Heh, guess I misread your post, not the other way around.

And no doubt that the tracking bonus would be a huge improvement in terms of PD effectiveness. Would be rather exhausting to go through and calculate exactly how much each tech would benefit sicksock, though.