Author Topic: Change Log for 6.00 discussion  (Read 49956 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Change Log for 5.70 discussion
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
I was about to protest Finland belonging to USSR but then I remembered that Soviets were planning the "proper" conclusion to Winter War but were prevented from it by the Germans. In this alternate timeline, it's entirely plausible that the Red Army kept marching.

And if we can't have 5.70 itself come out tomorrow, reading about the effects of the changes in your test campaign is the second best thing, so yes please for a fiction thread!

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:24 PM »
Ha!

That was one of things I liked about the last campaign, China were making a come back.

C'mon we both know that was never going to last,  Being Chinese in one of Steves campaigns is riskier than being an Ice block on route to the Sun

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2012, 01:03:37 AM »
A small "historical"  detail, Niels was from.Denmark.  ;)  Then we have to wait for more... :(
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2012, 05:27:45 AM »
Well, as major population part of one of the existing powers it may actually have some influence.^^

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2012, 09:13:05 AM »
Five years from WW2 era tech to TN? Isn't that a bit fast? Interesting scenario, though.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
Five years from WW2 era tech to TN? Isn't that a bit fast? Interesting scenario, though.

Given how fast and cheap the early researches are, I've always kind of assumed it's more engineering than real scientific research. And considering how the research cost doubles each tier (going from very cheap to very expensive quite quickly) one can easily assume that the first techs are basically just kludged together "try strapping TNEs to it and see what happens" designs, which explains why for just a few more RP you can make something twice as good. I don't think early TNE stuff would really be much of a problem with pre-information era tech.

Though... an interesting point; each side has 30 research labs, which would be 6,000 RP a year, but apparently have 50,000 RP of TNE techs in five years. So maybe a little fast, but not unbelievable assuming good scientists. And that era of history was somewhat notable for impressive scientists and engineers.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:37:06 PM by Bremen »

Offline fflaguna

• Chief Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
SteveW, is it possible to buff NPR ship armor of ALL AI ships, including regular alien NPRs, as well as swarm, precursors and extra-galactics? They need to have at least DOUBLE their current armor level to be competitive with humans. It's not particularly amazing when my lasers slice through the enemy like butter because they only have 6-12 armor at best, whereas my 36kton cruisers have 30 layers of armor and my 12kton destroyers have 15 layers of armor standard, plus shields on top of that in my newest revisions.

Other than that, I enjoy the AI's tactics and don't see an urgent need for a change there. My biggest gripe with the AI is that their ships have paper-thin armor. Looking at all the armor values in the database in my 100-year game, they could ALL use a flat doubling.

Thanks SteveW, looking forward to 5.7! :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:37:48 PM by fflaguna »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »
SteveW, is it possible to buff NPR ship armor of ALL AI ships, including regular alien NPRs, as well as swarm, precursors and extra-galactics? They need to have at least DOUBLE their current armor level to be competitive with humans. It's not particularly amazing when my lasers slice through the enemy like butter because they only have 6-12 armor at best, whereas my 36kton cruisers have 30 layers of armor and my 12kton destroyers have 15 layers of armor standard, plus shields on top of that in my newest revisions.

Other than that, I enjoy the AI's tactics and don't see an urgent need for a change there. My biggest gripe with the AI is that their ships have paper-thin armor. Looking at all the armor values in the database in my 100-year game, they could ALL use a flat doubling.

Thanks SteveW, looking forward to 5.7! :)

I've completely redone the NPR ship design code for v5.70. There isn't a huge change in the actual designs but its now a lot easier for me to add new ones. However, as part of that I have upped NPR armour, although not double.

Steve

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
China loses before the game even starts? A new low!   ;)
I Seriously Laughed for five minutes!!!

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
I never understood why people would pile on that much armor.
Though then again my favourite weapons are mesons and MWL.
Yay for better NPR ship designs.
Now we just need a better research behavior so they stop researching all over the place.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
Steve: A Funfact - German scientistst proposed during the war the usage of railguns as anti aircraft weapons, it was deemed impossible due to the energy amounts and densities (which where a bit overestimated) but on the base of that one could advocate that the germans could have advantage in capacitators and railguns.

If you need someone for some proper german weapon/ship names i would gladly help out. I love your campaigns they make a good read.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline fflaguna

• Chief Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2012, 01:40:54 AM »
I'm pretty excited for this new version. It's been almost six months since I played Aurora, and I'll definitely be picking it up again for a long time span after 5.70 drops. Until this, I'm patiently waiting and checking the site once a day.  :D

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:41 AM »
Heh, I essentially stopped after NA was announced.
That just seemed so much more nerdy. I just couldn't get myself to ignore it.
But I'll definitely play 5.7. I got an idea for a massive campaign, that'll turn out too stressful after a few years again. I know myself too well.

Offline fflaguna

• Chief Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
I've completely redone the NPR ship design code for v5.70. There isn't a huge change in the actual designs but its now a lot easier for me to add new ones. However, as part of that I have upped NPR armour, although not double.

Steve

Just a quick addition, do NPRs ever build missiles with x-ray pumped lasers, in order to bypass final defensive fire? If not, they should have a decent chance to be able to build these. I typically build some monstrous AM gauss turrets, and it'd be quite a surprise if I ever encountered these in battle (I never have up until this point), completely negating my systems which can have >99% chance to block 150 missiles at 50kkm/sec velocity for just one of my stacked fleets. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:16:28 PM by fflaguna »

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »
Just a quick addition, do NPRs ever build missiles with x-ray pumped lasers, in order to bypass final defensive fire? If not, they should have a decent chance to be able to build these. I typically build some monstrous AM gauss turrets, and it'd be quite a surprise if I ever encountered these in battle (I never have up until this point), completely negating my systems which can have >99% chance to block 150 missiles at 50kkm/sec velocity for one of my stacked fleets. :)
Laser warheads don't work properly at the moment IIRC.