Author Topic: Change Log for 6.00 discussion  (Read 50002 times)

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Change Log for 5.70 discussion
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Steve
Update to Missile Engines

I have updated the main missile engine post with new rules for increased fuel usage for small missile engines and changed the examples to reflect the changes. This post is just a brief overview as readers may not realise the main post has been edited. The relevant section is below

Engine Size: Missile engines can range in size from 0.1 MSP to 5 MSP in 0.1 MSP increments. It is hard to create very small fuel efficient engines, so smaller missile engines suffer a penalty to fuel consumption. The formula is: Fuel Modifier = Int ((Engine Size in MSP / 5) ^ (-0.683)). There is no need to remember this formula as the % change to fuel consumption is shown for each size option in missile engine design. For example, the following sizes of missile engine have the listed fuel consumption penalties

5 MSP: 0%
4 MSP +16%
3 MSP +41%
2 MSP +86%
1 MSP +200%
0.5 MSP +381%
0.3 MSP +583%
0.1 MSP +1346%

Steve

Very very interesting. This is definitely going to shift the current missile design strategy for a lot of folks. I am really looking forward to the new release!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
Correct Allocation of Export Tax

I'm playing a test campaign at the moment for v5.70 and I've realised that export taxes are not being correctly assigned. When a civilian freighter transports trade goods, the tax revenue for the government is equally split into two parts - the export tax and the shipping tax. The export tax should go to the parent government of the population from where the trade goods are picked up while the shipping tax goes to the parent government of the shipping company. Although these are usually the same government, it will be different if the goods are being picked up from a foreign power.

In the current version, both these taxes were being incorrectly assigned to the parent government of the shipping company. This has been fixed for v5.70.

This means that if you have goods available for export and a foreign shipping line picks them up, you will still receive export taxes but not shipping taxes.

Steve
What about import taxes? :D

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
Good to see that Robo-ground combat will be finally fixed. CAN'T WAIT!

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
The problem sounds a bit like the old issue of assigning two fleets to be each others sub-fleet, then order them to incorporate their subfleets; And space folds around the ships, never to be seen again. ;)

Nice change to the missiles, gives a reason to not just use more small missiles.
Though I'd obviously still like a change to fire controls and missile armor. :D

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »
Very very interesting. This is definitely going to shift the current missile design strategy for a lot of folks. I am really looking forward to the new release!

Finally an advantage to large missiles  ;D

Let's see, a 5 MSP engine would probably mean a missile size of at least 10 or 12. So anything smaller will have a significantly smaller range. Makes a nice tradeoff between ease of shooting down and range.

I'm thinking I'll either accept a lower range (but still significantly better than beams) for size 4 or so missiles, or have fleets with XO racks of size 12 missiles that they fire in a single massive volley and then close to finish off the wounded enemy with beams :).

Also, this might put an end to the terror of precursor AMM in anti-ship mode.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
Bear in mind that the fuel efficiency paradigm might result in missiles with slightly larger engines and slightly less fuel compared to current designs.  Current designs are not directly comparable.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2012, 07:04:10 AM »
You can still spam AMMs, only now the range is shorter.
Given that Precursors have a significant tech advantage in the beginning, don't hold your hopes too high.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
True, but if their AMM range is 3 million km instead of 30 million, at least you have the possibility of closing to beam range without them completely emptying their magazines on you.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:59 AM »
You really don't, unfortunately.  Beam range and missile range are just such different orders of magnitude...

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2012, 01:46:18 AM »
No, but your fighters launching size 3 or 4 missiles from 20m km away won't die to volleys of 51 size 1 missiles!

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »
The only way I can imagine size 1 AMMs having the same range as your ASM is if the enemy has a massive tech advantage over you. In which case, they should have more capable missiles. If you don't have enough range, try redesigning your missiles.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
The AI can use Lagrange Points. I didn't even know that was being implemented. Any way hyperdrives will be implemented?

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:31 AM »
With the Civ's designing their own ships i was wondering if they will be able to handle startings in nebulas, will they be smart enough to add armor to increase their speed?

-Five

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
Ai and Lagrane points is wonderfull. Multi-star systems get finaly more accessible for colonisation. Thank you steve!

Oh say any words on your new test campaign?
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »
Yay for LP's. Not having to baby-sit TG's that switch to default/conditional orders and ignore LP's will be a blessing.