Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 5086 times)

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
Re: A few questions
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
Is there a way to get the game to dump a detailed log of combat? If so is it readable?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
Is there a way to get the game to dump a detailed log of combat? If so is it readable?

You can export the event log. That is about as much detail as you'll get I believe.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
Eric...this is really something for Steve.

My take on it is (if it is correct I haven't a clue):

Ship 1 is targeting fighter A.  Missiles launched from the group including Ship 1 destroy fighter A, but some missiles Ship 1 fired remain.  Fire Control on Ship 1 is now without a target.  Missiles remaining at the end of the turn will use onboard sensors to switch to the nearby fighter B as they can see it.

Next turn Ship 1 targets fighter C and launches new missiles.  Those missiles target fighter C, the other missiles target fighter B as they are self guiding at this point.

I would assume that once the seeker head on the missile activates to control the missile the fire control of the launching ship is no longer relevant.  While it could go either way it does sort of defeat the purpose of putting sensors in the missile (baring the fact that without them they would self destruct) and it means that it doesn't matter what level of sensors you put in so long as the launching ship acquires a new target the missiles acquire it.  But that is all...best guesses and may have no resemblance to the code.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
Eric...this is really something for Steve.

My take on it is (if it is correct I haven't a clue):

Ship 1 is targeting fighter A.  Missiles launched from the group including Ship 1 destroy fighter A, but some missiles Ship 1 fired remain.  Fire Control on Ship 1 is now without a target.  Missiles remaining at the end of the turn will use onboard sensors to switch to the nearby fighter B as they can see it.

Next turn Ship 1 targets fighter C and launches new missiles.  Those missiles target fighter C, the other missiles target fighter B as they are self guiding at this point.

I would assume that once the seeker head on the missile activates to control the missile the fire control of the launching ship is no longer relevant.  While it could go either way it does sort of defeat the purpose of putting sensors in the missile (baring the fact that without them they would self destruct) and it means that it doesn't matter what level of sensors you put in so long as the launching ship acquires a new target the missiles acquire it.  But that is all...best guesses and may have no resemblance to the code.

Like I said, the post where Steve mentions ship board targetting trumping missile targetting is 5 years old, so from an earlier version. My read on what he said is as long as the ship has a viable fire control, it has control. Obviously, without looking at the code or Steve saying, all we have is guesswork.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »
Missile guidence was re-written in '09. 

If a target is lost/destroyed missiles with onboard sensors will continue to the last know target location unless a new target is detected.  All control by the launching MFC ends with the loss of the orginal target.

Relevent discussion(s) are circa June 2009.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley