Author Topic: Mining Suns  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Mining Suns
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2014, 06:58:15 AM »
Don't forget the biggest reason a suggestion gets into the game is that Steve thinks it would enhance his gameplay :)

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »
This :)

Don't forget the biggest reason a suggestion gets into the game is that Steve thinks it would enhance his gameplay :)

And it cuts in a different direction, but I kind've like Panopticon's idea for consequences of over-mining a star.  Though the scale would have to be quite large to imagine, it is a fun idea. 

Offline Lamandier

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »

Good point. Can't fault him for that, lol.

If it does ever make it into the game, I do agree that there should be consequences for over-mining. And/or possibly that it should be limited to the spoilers.
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
It'd be a fun way to deal with an opponent that you don't want to invade, mine their sun till it goes dark or whatever and let them freeze to death instead.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
I won't complain if the feature is added(and I actually kind of think it wouldn't be a terrible idea for a spoiler to be able to do it), but I would be disappointed if it came at the expense of, say, improvements to the crew/commanders system, to use an example from another thread.
Agreed. It's a small thing that probably wouldn't affect the gameplay much, it just adds a little flavour. I definitely would not want it interfering with any updates.

It'd be a fun way to deal with an opponent that you don't want to invade, mine their sun till it goes dark or whatever and let them freeze to death instead.
You're a very dark person, you know that?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »

You're a very dark person, you know that?
So says the sadist... ;)

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
Oh please, like any of us here can say we haven't bombarded a planet from orbit with nuclear weapons.

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
Oh please, like any of us here can say we haven't bombarded a planet from orbit with nuclear weapons.

Great sentence.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
We're supposed to wait til we hit orbit?

Offline rcj33

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »
Neutron stars do contain large quantities of iron (and superfluid neutronium) but it's practically impossible to get at those resources due to their high gravity and escape velocity.  It's possible in Aurora, of course, but I bet Steve wouldn't allow it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:49:02 PM by rcj33 »

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
I think with TN elements, we have the tendency to think of them like we would a different type of metal ore, and that they act like regular elements. But they don't have to, what if TN elements are always in the form of free floating atoms? Or partly in another dimension? Or even some form of energy state that we "mine" by gathering it in large canisters that we then scatter around the hallways of our ships to be shot and exploded, taking out a group of enemies with one shot?

I mean, they make all this fantastic stuff possible, I don't see why it is such a stretch that they be fantastic themselves.

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
Rather than mining stars, I'd prefer to see solar power satellites, a spaceship module that would generate wealth (basically the space station/ship equivalent of financial centers).

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »

I can!!

I quite often rock a planet, but that's rarely deliberate :P

but I've never nuked one!

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
An interesting by-product of mineral extraction of a star might be increase or decrease in solar energy output.  Extract too many of the minerals and you might alter the environment of the entire system.

From post #17 I get to lay claim to the altering solar output by excessive mining idea.   ;)

As previously discussed there are many stars that have mass and surface temperatures that would require nothing more than a modified asteroid miner to pull this off.  Main sequence stars could be argued that even in the TN age the technology isn't capable of it but with brown dwarfs why not?

I also propose the feasibility of this from a temperature standpoint via the already existing lack of penalty for close star approaches.  I can navigate directly to a star and orbit it, presumably at 0km?, without a problem.  I realize that the current mechanics exist because of a desire to not make things too complicated in stellar navigation (and programming too) so TN technology is used to explain away the complications to make it so that close star approaches are possible.

Other aspects of the game would be far more complicated to implement or correct.  I presume modifying stars to be mine-able and adding an expensive to research and build solar miner would be a relatively quick task.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:12 AM »
While mining stars is cool I think if you could then alter the output of a star by mining you would introduce a minefield of complexity. By altering the output of a star you would also effect the colony rating of all planetary bodies in orbit of that star. Hell you could feasibly turn Earth into an icy Hoth planet this way. This would then mean you have to alter all your terraforming states.

It's a great idea for uber tech and such but my mind boggles at the amount of extra coding stuff that would be needed to implement such an idea fully. When the game in it's current state struggles to handle load that well I'm not sure such a thing would be of any great benefit for the extra slowdown.