Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 271319 times)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #2370 on: January 22, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »
In the ground battle result log, perhaps rename "shots" into "attacks" or "strikes" or something similar. It is more ambiguous on what happened and thus helps with roleplay vision. E.g., what if I would field some Klingon melee berserkers or lab-grown bio horror bugs? Those wont use "shot", hmm, unless I rebrand it as "Seriously Hurtful Offensive Treatment" or something.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2371 on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Thanks for the fuel/conditional order change.  That addresses one of my biggest pains!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2372 on: January 22, 2022, 10:51:30 PM »
Small QoL request:

Truncate the days and months displayed in all of the subwindows (primarily Fleet, Ship, Research, and Industry screens). Reduce days to 2-3 letters and months to 3 letters, such as:

Thursday, December 20, 2085 ---> (Th/Thu), Dec 20, 2085

I can almost never see the day and year when something is supposed to finish as the column for dates is never wide enough. I'm at 1920x1080 so it shouldn't be a display resolution issue either...
Change your Long Form Date setting in Windows. Aurora pulls the date setting from Windows so that's the culprit. These are the ones:

And it's found in:
Settings - Time & Language - Date. time & regional formatting - Change data formats

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, Noble713

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #2373 on: January 23, 2022, 01:49:10 AM »
And if the default options don't match your preference, you can go down to the bottom of the list of settings and pick "administrative options" (or suchlike name). A good date format is DDD, d, MMM, YYYY (which gives you "Wed. 1 Jan 2022")

The following users thanked this post: Noble713

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2374 on: January 23, 2022, 08:39:44 AM »
Currently if a ship is boarded it's very easy to deny it to the enemy by abandoning ship once you're sure it's lost. This makes boarding as a mechanic much less fun: you don't get to fight against your own captured ships, and if you also control the faction doing the boarding, you don't get to play with the enemy's ships. Because of this I usually play with the house rule that you can only make one attempt to abandon ship, which has a probability of success weighted by the relative strengths of the attackers and defenders. It would be nice if a mechanic like this were added for the game; for instance, if each boarding combat round there's a chance for a "capture the bridge" event that disables the abandon ship button for that ship until boarders are defeated. This would make for a more interesting choice between abandoning ship early to deny it to the enemy or waiting to see how combat plays out and risking the ship being captured.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2375 on: January 23, 2022, 04:57:25 PM »
Currently if a ship is boarded it's very easy to deny it to the enemy by abandoning ship once you're sure it's lost. This makes boarding as a mechanic much less fun: you don't get to fight against your own captured ships, and if you also control the faction doing the boarding, you don't get to play with the enemy's ships. Because of this I usually play with the house rule that you can only make one attempt to abandon ship, which has a probability of success weighted by the relative strengths of the attackers and defenders. It would be nice if a mechanic like this were added for the game; for instance, if each boarding combat round there's a chance for a "capture the bridge" event that disables the abandon ship button for that ship until boarders are defeated. This would make for a more interesting choice between abandoning ship early to deny it to the enemy or waiting to see how combat plays out and risking the ship being captured.
What if abandoning ship didn't make it self-destruct, but rather just spawned lifepods equal to the remaining crew and set the ship's crew to 0?  I mean the button IS abandon ship, not scuttle ship.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2376 on: January 23, 2022, 05:03:45 PM »
Or just don't click the abandon ship button?

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2377 on: January 23, 2022, 08:02:48 PM »

I must press the big red button that says DO NOT PRESS

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2378 on: January 24, 2022, 03:37:13 AM »

I must press the big red button that says DO NOT PRESS

Offline drakonbane

• Leading Rate
  • d
« Reply #2379 on: January 24, 2022, 05:35:05 AM »
A suggestion to have STOs contribute to planetary protection rating instead of police force.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, Blogaugis

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2380 on: January 24, 2022, 09:14:05 AM »
A suggestion to have STOs contribute to planetary protection rating instead of police force.

PPV is calculated system-wide, not per-planet, so this wouldn't work unless the underlying calculation was rewritten.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2381 on: January 24, 2022, 08:18:36 PM »
What if abandoning ship didn't make it self-destruct, but rather just spawned lifepods equal to the remaining crew and set the ship's crew to 0?  I mean the button IS abandon ship, not scuttle ship.

I too would like an actual "abandon ship" button to go along with the current "Self destruct' button.

The following users thanked this post: Blogaugis

Offline drakonbane

• Leading Rate
  • d
« Reply #2382 on: January 25, 2022, 07:01:12 AM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=10640. msg158259#msg158259 date=1643037245
Quote from: drakonbane link=topic=10640. msg158258#msg158258 date=1643024105

PPV is calculated system-wide, not per-planet, so this wouldn't work unless the underlying calculation was rewritten.

How is PPV calculated? and is it the same as it was in VB6?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2383 on: January 25, 2022, 08:05:24 AM »

It is weird that it is called PPV though if actual planetary protection does not contribute, and only ship-type movable assets are considered. An orbital beam base contributes to all planets, but the just-as-movable, freighter dependent STO does not? Shady.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2384 on: January 25, 2022, 12:31:47 PM »

It is weird that it is called PPV though if actual planetary protection does not contribute, and only ship-type movable assets are considered. An orbital beam base contributes to all planets, but the just-as-movable, freighter dependent STO does not? Shady.

--- The answer is simple. The orbital beam platform has engines, the STO doesn't. Of course the colonists don't know that engine is made of cardboard since we've convinced them that all of the cardboard is used up on making the totally faked birds and stuff. It works out well since it doubles as a cover for the fact that birds are actually bird-shaped drones used for spying on people. Those dank memes aren't going to steal themselves ya know!