Author Topic: Slowdown  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
Slowdown
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:32:05 PM »
About 30 years into the game I have the first serious slowdown - the past two dozen 5-day turns took approximately 5-10 minutes each to complete. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do? I already set detection in systems without the player to automatic.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
Re: Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
I noticed something interesting - turning the game off and restarting it fixed the slowdown. Is that a bug then?

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »
I noticed something interesting - turning the game off and restarting it fixed the slowdown. Is that a bug then?

Its plausible that there may be a memory leak and you finally ran out and ended up paging.  Would explain the restart resolving the issue, all leaked memory is freed by the OS upon process termination.

Could be any number of other things, but that's what comes to mind first for me, and yeah, I'd think probably a bug.  If it were working as intended, simply reloading should not have changed the outcome and would then be a bug.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
After about 20 turns without any problems, it is now 40 minutes and nothing happens. Are there any settings that can cause it? I have automatic detection on, is it possible this led to excessively large battles?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
After about 20 turns without any problems, it is now 40 minutes and nothing happens. Are there any settings that can cause it? I have automatic detection on, is it possible this led to excessively large battles?

We don't know. What was the original setup? What happened in the meantime? Did u explore and found some NPR (non spoiler races)? How many colinies do you have and how big is the civ fleet?

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »

We don't know. What was the original setup? What happened in the meantime? Did u explore and found some NPR (non spoiler races)? How many colinies do you have and how big is the civ fleet?

Nothing since then. 20 turns it takes a few seconds to process 5 day turns, and suddenly an extreme slowdown happens (about an hour now to process one turn). It's still happening. I have one NPR, 6 colonies, maybe two dozen civ ships, one NPR with civ creation, mostly default settings.

EDIT: Task manager indicates that Aurora is constantly using about 16% of my CPU and 85 mb of my memory.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:00:18 PM by Ekaton »

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »
I closed Aurora and loaded the latest save. Turns were smooth again until the same date, February 2083, when the slowdown occured just a few days earlier than in the previous run.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 07:09:47 PM »

Nothing since then. 20 turns it takes a few seconds to process 5 day turns, and suddenly an extreme slowdown happens (about an hour now to process one turn). It's still happening. I have one NPR, 6 colonies, maybe two dozen civ ships, one NPR with civ creation, mostly default settings.

EDIT: Task manager indicates that Aurora is constantly using about 16% of my CPU and 85 mb of my memory.

Is the NPR set to wake up spoiler races? How long is the increment of the turn after the hour? The whole cycle? How much is the increment of the sub cycle?

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »

Is the NPR set to wake up spoiler races? How long is the increment of the turn after the hour? The whole cycle? How much is the increment of the sub cycle?

NPR can wake up spoiler races in the settings. Increment currently being resolved is 5 days, like the others. I haven't set sub cycle this time. It was a few hours before but I can't remember precisely how many at the time.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 07:23:24 PM »

NPR can wake up spoiler races in the settings. Increment currently being resolved is 5 days, like the others. I haven't set sub cycle this time. It was a few hours before but I can't remember precisely how many at the time.

Try to set up sub increment of 1 day first see if it gets better. Could be a memory leak somehow or a bottleneck somewhere in the code. Maybe you can send it to Steve to check what is going on behind the curtain.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »

Try to set up sub increment of 1 day first see if it gets better. Could be a memory leak somehow or a bottleneck somewhere in the code. Maybe you can send it to Steve to check what is going on behind the curtain.

I set a 1 day increment but it didn’t help at all. I posted this as a possible bug, let’s see if there’s a response.