Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 354294 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2400 on: January 10, 2022, 02:47:48 PM »
Usually, ships/fleets ordered to move to other ships/fleets in motion will attempt to plot a straight-line course which will intercept the target, and will re-evaluate this course at the increment (or sub-increment, I'm not sure exactly which). In this case, since TK Tennessee has orders to move, TK Minnesota would try to plot a course to intercept. However, since TK Tennessee has no fuel it is not actually able to move, so my guess is that this is confusing TK Minnesota into the odd behavior you are observing.

To solve this problem you should probably cancel the orders for TK Tennessee until it has received fuel (this will also prevent it from moving away as soon as it received fuel, but before it is fully refueled). If the orders are quite complicated and you don't want to re-issue them, saving them to an Order Template temporarily can be used to get around this.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2401 on: January 10, 2022, 02:50:00 PM »
Usually, ships/fleets ordered to move to other ships/fleets in motion will attempt to plot a straight-line course which will intercept the target, and will re-evaluate this course at the increment (or sub-increment, I'm not sure exactly which). In this case, since TK Tennessee has orders to move, TK Minnesota would try to plot a course to intercept. However, since TK Tennessee has no fuel it is not actually able to move, so my guess is that this is confusing TK Minnesota into the odd behavior you are observing.

To solve this problem you should probably cancel the orders for TK Tennessee until it has received fuel (this will also prevent it from moving away as soon as it received fuel, but before it is fully refueled). If the orders are quite complicated and you don't want to re-issue them, saving them to an Order Template temporarily can be used to get around this.

This would make sense however if you pay attention the Tennessee is moving to the JP which means it's going to go right, so I would expect Minnesota to curve right but instead it curves leftwards, which is the opposite of an intercept.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2402 on: January 10, 2022, 03:31:57 PM »
This would make sense however if you pay attention the Tennessee is moving to the JP which means it's going to go right, so I would expect Minnesota to curve right but instead it curves leftwards, which is the opposite of an intercept.

This is why I said that TK Minnesota appears to be confused by the out-of-fuel status of TK Tennessee, since she appears to be trying to intercept TK Tennessee as if the latter were flying backwards. I don't think the out-of-fuel behavior is terribly well-refined, which is understandable since the "proper" way to handle that status should be to rescind orders and wait for refueling (as, again, you otherwise run into problems with the refuel target not holding still anyways).

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2403 on: January 10, 2022, 03:55:39 PM »
This is why I said that TK Minnesota appears to be confused by the out-of-fuel status of TK Tennessee, since she appears to be trying to intercept TK Tennessee as if the latter were flying backwards. I don't think the out-of-fuel behavior is terribly well-refined, which is understandable since the "proper" way to handle that status should be to rescind orders and wait for refueling (as, again, you otherwise run into problems with the refuel target not holding still anyways).
I see the same phenomenon when trying to intercept enemies all the time too, which, -even though they don't use fuel at all-, are well capable of flying. Sometimes the intercept is not correctly plotted to the hypothetical meeting point given constant velocities, but instead it follows a curve.
I think I have even seen it while going towards some faster celestial bodies in some cases, though I might be misremembering.
Why that is happening in some cases and not others I have not been looking into so much, but if nobody else can explain it here, I guess I will look out a bit more.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2404 on: January 10, 2022, 07:59:26 PM »
I see the same phenomenon when trying to intercept enemies all the time too, which, -even though they don't use fuel at all-, are well capable of flying. Sometimes the intercept is not correctly plotted to the hypothetical meeting point given constant velocities, but instead it follows a curve.
I think I have even seen it while going towards some faster celestial bodies in some cases, though I might be misremembering.
Why that is happening in some cases and not others I have not been looking into so much, but if nobody else can explain it here, I guess I will look out a bit more.

If you can save a clear example of this, it would be a useful bug report for Steve in the appropriate thread, to preclude some of the potential confounding factors like fuel status.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2405 on: January 11, 2022, 03:46:41 AM »
The old behaviour was that fleets/TGs would always plot course to the current location of their target, not where they would be after the next increment or whatever. I'm not sure if that got ever changed.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #2406 on: January 12, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
I have a problem with displaying enemy signatures.  On Tau-Ceti II are enemy ground forces. Neither my army nor my fleet can detect them, apart from being right on the planet. The active sensors on my army are on and so is the active sensor on my ship.

Did I mess something up?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2407 on: January 12, 2022, 09:40:34 AM »
Ground forces are modeled as having a minimum-size active signature - it is either 1 HS (smallest AS resolution) or 6 MSP (minimum signature size), I'm not sure which. Either way, you'll do best trying to spot them with a RES-1 sensor, any sensor with a large resolution will not detect such a signature until it is right on top of them.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #2408 on: January 13, 2022, 12:44:56 AM »
But shouldn't my landed ground forces with active sensors not detect them?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2409 on: January 13, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »
You need to turn on the active sensors of STO formations just as with any ship. The button for this should be in the Ground Forces window when you select the formation with STOs.

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2410 on: January 15, 2022, 08:09:09 PM »
I fired 36 buyos (no engines) containing missiles at a waypoint.   The missiles were fired since the minelayer is empty now.   However, I can neither see the buyos nor their thermal sensor range.   What am I doing wrong? Are they just invisible or have they expired immediately?
Edit: The minelayer's data:

Code: [Select]
Sword class Missile Frigate      5.974 tons       42 Crew       536 BP       TCS 119    TH 90    EM 0
753 km/s      Armour 1-29       Shields 0-0       HTK 49      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 75,6
Maint Life 2,08 Years     MSP 156    AFR 285%    IFR 4,0%    1YR 48    5YR 723    Max Repair 100 MSP
Magazine 504   
Captain    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Morale Check Required   

Loken Aircraft Engine Co Ion Drive  EP45,00 (2)    Power 90    Fuel Use 14,58%    Signature 45    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 150.000 Litres    Range 31 billion km (476 days at full power)

Invictus & Brom Size 14 Box Launcher (36)     Missile Size: 14    Hangar Reload 187 minutes    MF Reload 31 hours
Avitus Sensor Systems Missile Fire Control FC57-R100 (1)     Range 57,4m km    Resolution 100
Styphus Kinetics Scorpion Mine S14 (36)    Speed: 0 km/s    End: 12,5m     Range: 11,8m km    WH: 0    Size: 14    TH: 0/0/0

Ortan-Ectellion Auspex I AS64-R100 (1)     GPS 10000     Range 64,1m km    Resolution 100

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a c for auto-assignment purposes

The inner missile:
Missile Size: 11,95 MSP  (29,875 Tons)     Warhead: 9    Radiation Damage: 9    Manoeuvre Rating: 18
Speed: 15.732 km/s     Fuel: 625     Flight Time: 13 minutes     Range: 11,81m km
Active Sensor Strength: 1,2   EM Sensitivity Modifier: 6
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 7.026.798 km
Cost Per Missile: 10,838     Development Cost: 1.084
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 283,2%   3k km/s 94,4%   5k km/s 56,6%   10k km/s 28,3%

The buyo itself:
Missile Size: 13,916 MSP  (34,7900 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s     Fuel: 625     1st Stage Flight Time: 1 seconds    1st Stage Range: 0k km
2nd Stage Flight Time: 13 minutes    2nd Stage Range: 11,76m km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 0,48    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5.477.226 km
Cost Per Missile: 11,286     Development Cost: 1.129
Second Stage: Styphus Kinetics Sting ASM D9 S12 R6.4b x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 150.000 km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:44:28 PM by CaiusIuliusCaesar »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2411 on: January 15, 2022, 11:21:27 PM »
Two-stage mines are broken presently as they will self-destruct without a target. This will be fixed in v2.0.

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2412 on: January 16, 2022, 06:01:11 AM »
Ok, many thanks!

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2413 on: January 16, 2022, 05:24:52 PM »
Does the size of a construction company (i.e. how many construction modules are in the overall force) influence ruin recover rate/success chance? Per the Wiki it does not, but that was written before C# and the elimination of "Teams" and introduction of construction units.

"Each production cycle, an Construction Brigade has a chance to make a recovery roll on an installation. If this roll is unsuccessful, nothing happens. If it is successful, then there is a chance that the facility they recover is unable to be repaired. The chance of this happening determined by taking a random roll from 1-200 and comparing it to 200 - (Construction Brigade Morale + Xenology Bonus of the Brigade commander).

For example, a new Construction Brigade with morale of 100 and a Xenology bonus of 5% should have a success rate of (200 - (100 + 5))=95 versus a 1-200 roll, or about 52%. Since Construction Brigades can gain morale and bonus increase with each successful recovery, a seasoned Construction Brigade with morale of 118 and bonus of 22% might have a success rate of (200 - (118 + 22))=60 versus a 1-200 roll, or about 70%

I'm guessing the overall construction capability of the unit should matter, but I can't seem to find any documentation/indication of that. I ask because I just found an Abandoned Intact City with 952 installations (*drool*) and I am considering merging some construction units I otherwise keep spread out with combat units for this special project, if it will help speed up recovery.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:34:10 PM by nakorkren »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #2414 on: January 16, 2022, 05:26:50 PM »
What are rules of thumb for figuring out how big to make the beam weapons on your beam ships?

I try to get the largest I possibly can on a craft, even if it mean I can only mount one as I assume range will make my ships more safe and a bigger gun will make fights end quicker. But if they miss, its devastating.