Author Topic: Crazy Map  (Read 5421 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Crazy Map
« on: September 13, 2020, 05:52:50 AM »
Just sharing for interest - I don't think I have ever had a map with this many loops.

The following users thanked this post: Darknote, Cinnius, Vizzy, Warer, StarshipCactus

Offline Darknote

• Leading Rate
  • D
Re: Crazy Map
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:41:22 AM »
How's the turn times? And how many NPR's did you discover?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

2 NPRs so far, one of which has a lot of ships, plus 6-7 Precursor systems. There are three other NPRs from game start. About 1000 fleets in total, across 240 systems. Increments are a few seconds.

The following users thanked this post: Darknote, Warer

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
This triggers the question ... what do you do when you realize you need to rearrange once against dozens of systems? Is it realistic to expect one day a kind of 'auto-rearrange' function?  ;) :P

The following users thanked this post: Cinnius

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »
I rarely find any loops.
Personally I find moving large numbers of systems at once to be somewhat fraught.
It  might be easier if there was an option to show the grid that they use for alignment, and if you could zoom out to see the galaxy map.
Also the precise way that clicking adds and subtracts systems from selection means I often end up de-selecting the last system.

Offline Darknote

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 06:19:13 AM »

2 NPRs so far, one of which has a lot of ships, plus 6-7 Precursor systems. There are three other NPRs from game start. About 1000 fleets in total, across 240 systems. Increments are a few seconds.

1000 fleets in total? Jesus Christ! Good that increments are a few seconds though ...

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 01:03:21 PM »
I have three loops in my current game, but glad they dont look like that!

The really amazing thing is that with 63 systems discovered, only one NPR, and ZERO precursors. I think thats a new record for me. I am usually hip deep in precursors by now.

Offline hyramgraff

• Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
When I zoom out and look at the whole map, it reminds me of the map of the London underground.  :)

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
When I zoom out and look at the whole map, it reminds me of the map of the London underground.  :)

Please mind the gap between the train and the platform.

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
I like the look of that map, has interesting playstyle implications, but as others pointed out it does look like a underground railway map. Out of interest, is that with the default 50% Local System Generation Chance? Unless I am misunderstanding that setting. I assume setting it to 100% would cause loads of loops.
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
I like the look of that map, has interesting playstyle implications, but as others pointed out it does look like a underground railway map. Out of interest, is that with the default 50% Local System Generation Chance? Unless I am misunderstanding that setting. I assume setting it to 100% would cause loads of loops.

It's a real stars game, so the local generation doesn't apply in this case.

The following users thanked this post: Llamageddon

Offline Gram123

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 06:30:02 AM »
In general I tend to rise the local system chance, and lower the number that a system is recognized as a local system.

I suspect that is why I usually get a lot of loops. However I came to realize that if you lower the range of local systems, eventually you run out of system that can form a loop as there are no more system that are considered local, and system has to be local to form a loop right? or so at least I think it is working. (IE if local range is 8 and you are in system 10 and system 2-18 is already known, there are no more local system to system 10 and a loop would be impossible, right?)

I miss the old VB mechanics though, where you cold see the system number in the galaxy window.

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
I got the impression it was always possible for a jump point to form a new connection to a local system even if that local system had already had all it's jump points surveyed, so you could always get a new local link; my game certainly seems to occasionally form a new jump-link to a fully surveyed system. I might be mistaken though.
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

Offline Gram123

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
I got the impression it was always possible for a jump point to form a new connection to a local system even if that local system had already had all it's jump points surveyed, so you could always get a new local link; my game certainly seems to occasionally form a new jump-link to a fully surveyed system. I might be mistaken though.

Its entirely possible to get a new link into a fully surveyed system. Question is, if all system in the local range are known, can you still get a loop into that system from a non-local system, or do loops only form between local systems.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 09:42:34 PM »
Yes you can get loops entirely made up of non-local systems, its just less likely.

Back at v1.09 I had a loop of five systems, where all of the Jump Point connections were between system ID numbers more than 50 apart where my local system spread was 15   - although two of the unconnected systems were in fact within the local spread of each other!

I have a bunch of custom reports that present various bits of information from the database, a couple of them display the System ID, and I noticed this by accident when I was trying to debug an issue with one of the reports.  It probably would be easier to notice if we still could see the SystemID on the Galactic Map, but that's possibly info that a player ought not to have.
Slàinte,

Mike