Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 124145 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #465 on: January 25, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »
I think representing the tonnage in 'k' would be compact enough to fit into the display window. Factory = 25k, Terraformer = 125k, and so on - much more compact than writing out all the zeroes.

Speaking of Terraformers, while we're changing things can we balance the cost of the installation and the ship module? The ship module is cheaper and otherwise superior in almost every way, really could stand to be tweaked slightly.

The following users thanked this post: Blogaugis

Offline cdrtwohy

• Chief Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #466 on: January 25, 2022, 09:41:23 PM »
No Nuclearslurpee you don't touch my mega TF starbases :)

All jokes aside, i could stand a slight tweek with TF installations and ship board platforms, maybe make the ship board 50% more expensive or have a rate penalty ( like ship board are one tech level lower then racial or something for terraforming rate)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #467 on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:02 PM »
No Nuclearslurpee you don't touch my mega TF starbases :)

I won't touch them... aims particle lance  ;D

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #468 on: January 26, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the new Squadron features.  I tend to make carrier heavy fleets - frankly everything destroyer or above as a hanger deck or boat bay - and I missed the VB6 squadron feature.  Question:  Can you assign commanders to the Squadrons? Or will they use the most senior ship commander?  If commanders are used, what are the auto assignment rules?

Thanks for the new features you have chosen for 2.0.  You have addressed damn near all my requests or annoyances of earlier versions and gotten me real excited to take 2.0 for a spin.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #469 on: January 26, 2022, 07:13:13 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the new Squadron features.  I tend to make carrier heavy fleets - frankly everything destroyer or above as a hanger deck or boat bay - and I missed the VB6 squadron feature.  Question:  Can you assign commanders to the Squadrons? Or will they use the most senior ship commander?  If commanders are used, what are the auto assignment rules?

Thanks for the new features you have chosen for 2.0.  You have addressed damn near all my requests or annoyances of earlier versions and gotten me real excited to take 2.0 for a spin.

They will use the most senior ship commander.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, Frank Jager

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #470 on: January 26, 2022, 07:31:53 PM »
Cool - one thing that I typically do with my 'squadrons' to replicate progression is I make a 'CX' version of every fighter class which is the same as the baseline fighter version except I have the 'senior CO' block checked so I can simulate a Squadron Commander.  I'll continue that here with this new feature so I can have Lieutenant Commanders commanding my Squadrons rather than Lieutenants (my lowest officer rank).

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #471 on: January 26, 2022, 07:42:53 PM »
Now I am hoping that Steve will somehow encounter a situation where he wants to provide CAS to ground units so that it also gets improved.

The squadron changes are really nice for the sake of management but also just differentiating sub-fleets from fighter wings at a glance.
One thing I will ask though - How does this interact with a carriers fighter-hoover function when new fighters are being built. Right now we can in the class design give a carrier a default strike group, but will we also be able to go further and create a default squadron configuration? I think that would be a great QOL feature cuz right now it sounds like we need to re-create squadrons for every carrier that is built.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, smoelf, nuclearslurpee

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #472 on: January 27, 2022, 12:32:31 AM »
It would be useful if individual parasites remembered which squadron they were last part of, and had a "go to task group A, land on your assigned mothership, rejoin the squadron." It would prevent you from having click through a sub-menu navigation to find the correct squadron.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #473 on: January 27, 2022, 01:10:04 AM »
Steve,

They will use the most senior ship commander.
Shouldn't it be the CAG, if there is one?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #474 on: January 27, 2022, 02:44:14 AM »
It would be useful if individual parasites remembered which squadron they were last part of, and had a "go to task group A, land on your assigned mothership, rejoin the squadron." It would prevent you from having click through a sub-menu navigation to find the correct squadron.

Yes, I agree. This occurred me last night after I went to bed :)

I'll add an assigned squadron in the same way as an assigned mothership.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Scandinavian, mike2R, Kiero, TheBawkHawk, BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #475 on: January 27, 2022, 02:53:32 AM »
Big thanks for adding back a squadron mechanic, even in a reworked form.  Will it have an auto random name like in VB6?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #476 on: January 27, 2022, 07:14:36 AM »
So uhm.. How tricky would it be to let Fighters to support ground units one Squadron at a time instead of one fighter?  ::) Asking for a friend...

The following users thanked this post: Droll

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #477 on: January 27, 2022, 10:03:12 AM »

Yes, I agree. This occurred me last night after I went to bed :)

I'll add an assigned squadron in the same way as an assigned mothership.

I've updated the original post (and the code) to include the 'assigned squadron':

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg158331#msg158331

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #478 on: January 27, 2022, 02:50:52 PM »
Thanks Steve, at least getting dusted on the fighter module post has had its effects  ;D ;D ;D

I am glad squadrons are back as it will allow managing big fighters groups in a more comprehensive way.

I am really looking forward to 2.0 now and I know we always say it's ready when it's ready but if we were to give a pin, would it be prior to or after Distant Worlds 2?

I guess you are going to put your hands on that too and it may take a good chunk of your time for a few weeks at least...

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #479 on: January 27, 2022, 03:29:26 PM »
LOVE the new squadron mechanics! Think we can get a way to assign a squadron leader either by adding in a 'flag bridge' for Fighters (basically a fancy radio i'm guessing) or special rules where fighter only fleets can benefit from the skills of their leader?

Perhaps then since Squadron are always assigned to a ship regardless of if they are docked or not, the officer assigned to Primary Flight Control could contribute their skills from the Mothership and act as a proper Commander, Air Group for all the ships attached squadrons.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:32:23 PM by Borealis4x »