Author Topic: feasibility of Robot Populations  (Read 7238 times)

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: feasibility of Robot Populations
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2021, 08:45:03 AM »
The gradualism is why humanoid robots make sense. Because they can exist in spaces that aren't designed for them.

We already have specialized robots that work they way you are describing. They make our cars. But they aren't in our homes because homes cater to humanoids, not arms on rails.

Well there are probably hundreds of different ways a drone can be built for human homes that is not human like and more efficient, depending on what their role and usage is. The notion of one household robot doing everything is not really realistic outside fiction. Research is one thing, practical engineering and actual use is another. I could see human like robots being built just because we can and for research purposes, that is very different form what will actually be used in practice in the common homes.

You keep asserting this, and I keep explaining why that actually isn't true, then you just assert it again.

There are not "hundreds of different ways a drone can be built for human homes that is not human like and more efficient" because human homes are designed to be efficient for humanoids. What is better than legs for navigating both level ground and stairs and ladders (attics)? You need at least two hands to put away my clothes after doing the laundry, too. That's a humanoid already, regardless of any other desired functions.

" The notion of one household robot doing everything is not really realistic outside fiction."

Citation needed. Seriously, this is a claim in need of justification. Humans can do everything in a household; why is it somehow impossible to build a robot that can match that? We can already do this on a mechanical level (it's expensive, sure, but that's in part because no one is mass producing these things). The part that is missing is the software, and the hard part of the software is NOT humanoid robot specific. It's in making a robot that can take natural language instruction to do stuff the designers didn't explicitly build into it. This difficulty would apply to your ill defined "smart home" proposal just as much as it would to a butler bot.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2021, 01:33:27 PM »
There are not "hundreds of different ways a drone can be built for human homes that is not human like and more efficient" because human homes are designed to be efficient for humanoids. What is better than legs for navigating both level ground and stairs and ladders (attics)? You need at least two hands to put away my clothes after doing the laundry, too. That's a humanoid already, regardless of any other desired functions.

Why would a robot need hands and feet to be different or arms and legs to be different? Wouldn't a household robot that have say 8 arms with all function hands on them but no legs be much more efficient at every potential task a human could do with their 2 arms & hands?

Do you consider say a 8 armed spider robot to be humanoid, because I don't.

Or what about a magnetic or suction wheel that can attach to any surface ( including walls and ceilings ) in your home? Without even getting into levitating robots or robots that can extend 5 meter long limbs... All of these very non-humanoid robots configurations would be able to reach and manipulate more spaces and places that you can do and much faster as well.

Some physical limitations also doesn't apply when things can be done with robotic speed and precision. I bet if you could move your arm, hand and fingers with 100% perfect micrometer precision and superhuman speeds + without human limits how joints can be bent then it would be a piece of cake to fold any piece of clothing with a single arm.

The main reason anyone in their sane mind would design a humanoid household robot has nothing to do with efficiency. It would ( and probably will ) be done because most of us would be more comfortable with having such a robot around than some strange spiderlike robot with wheels and inspector gadget arms.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:37:57 PM by alex_brunius »

The following users thanked this post: dsedrez

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
You don't just have to be able to do it. You have to be able to do it safely and economically.

Designing a humanoid robot capable of independent operation that is safe around small children... is a task I would not trust to be solved in the software layer. Whereas for most individual household functions you could probably come up with a reasonable way to child-proof a machine that does just that and only that function. If nothing else, then simply by putting it well out of reach of those children.

Humanoid robots are almost the Platonic ideal of plug-and-play substitution using multirole hardware. Multirole platforms are almost always either inferior to or more expensive than a well designed suite of specialized hardware: When employed in one role, all the other roles it can theoretically fill are adding design constraints without adding value. And plug-and-play replacements are almost always inferior to overhauling the system surrounding the thing you're replacing (simply because you get to explore a much wider solution space that way, for very minor additional cost in design complexity).

So the balance of probability is that a humanoid robot is going to be comparatively bad and expensive, unless there is a specific reason it needs to be human-looking. The most likely cause being that it has to stand in for a human in interpersonal relations.

Using a humanoid robot makes sense for the science officer of the Nostromo, because he has to be able to spy on the rest of the crew. Using a humanoid robot to do your laundry doesn't - that's why a washing machine doesn't have arms.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2021, 02:20:33 PM »

Do you consider say a 8 armed spider robot to be humanoid, because I don't.

I see I needed to be clearer about my contention. Humanoid was a poor choice of words. Human-equivalent would be better.

In other words, yes, a robot with 8 arms and tripod legs would absolutely qualify. Though what seems to be under development right now is humanoid, deviations could well make sense.

The key point I'm making is that the "specialized single task automated robots" are not the end goal. If you really want an automated home, you need something that can interact in the same way a person can. We already have the single task automated ones; programmable coffee makers, remote controlled thermostats, etc. They exist.

Or what about a magnetic or suction wheel that can attach to any surface ( including walls and ceilings ) in your home? Without even getting into levitating robots or robots that can extend 5 meter long limbs... All of these very non-humanoid robots configurations would be able to reach and manipulate more spaces and places that you can do and much faster as well.
Well, my ceiling is rough because of the paint used. Walls too. So I can't use one of those. Levitation...kind of doesn't exist? Flight is very energy intensive, and so if we don't NEED it (which we don't, because houses are designed to be used by humans which cannot fly), we are better off not wasting our limited budget (both financial and energetic) on that capacity. Extensible limbs are absolutely something you might include though.

Some physical limitations also doesn't apply when things can be done with robotic speed and precision. I bet if you could move your arm, hand and fingers with 100% perfect micrometer precision and superhuman speeds + without human limits how joints can be bent then it would be a piece of cake to fold any piece of clothing with a single arm.
Solid maybe there. Though due to safety concerns you do not necessarily want to deploy a machine that is moving that fast in an environment that humans or other fragile stuff might get into. That said, why bother? Two limbs are enough to solve that problem, without requiring clever manipulations of physics, increasing safety risks, or applying excessive forces to clothing that may not be able to handle it. Like. How is this solution BETTER than just using two arms? Human equivalent robots are desirable because they can do anything we might want them to do, not necessarily because they are strictly optimal at doing any one task. But in this specific example....
You don't just have to be able to do it. You have to be able to do it safely and economically.

Designing a humanoid robot capable of independent operation that is safe around small children... is a task I would not trust to be solved in the software layer. Whereas for most individual household functions you could probably come up with a reasonable way to child-proof a machine that does just that and only that function. If nothing else, then simply by putting it well out of reach of those children.
Custom machines that need to be safe around children and need to be designed for every single task are what we currently have. The change comes when we can deploy soft-exoskeleton robots which plan while requiring a recovery maneuver be available at all times (current active areas of research in the robotics community). Yes, this is a challenge. No, it is not unsolvable (obviously: humans manage to not kill each other walking around).
Humanoid robots are almost the Platonic ideal of plug-and-play substitution using multirole hardware. Multirole platforms are almost always either inferior to or more expensive than a well designed suite of specialized hardware: When employed in one role, all the other roles it can theoretically fill are adding design constraints without adding value. And plug-and-play replacements are almost always inferior to overhauling the system surrounding the thing you're replacing (simply because you get to explore a much wider solution space that way, for very minor additional cost in design complexity).
Yes, this is why we want them. The whole point is to upgrade our lives comprehensively. We ALREADY HAVE individual automation. To get things to work seamlessly, you can either try to get the various appliances to somehow interface with each other (and I've yet to see any proposal for how that isn't effectively a human-equivalent robot...even just for doing the laundry) or you can deploy something that can interact with the appliances in the same way a human would.

So the balance of probability is that a humanoid robot is going to be comparatively bad and expensive, unless there is a specific reason it needs to be human-looking. The most likely cause being that it has to stand in for a human in interpersonal relations.
Human equivalent robots are hard and expensive; it's why we don't have them yet and you have to fold your laundry yourself. But if you don't want to fold your laundry yourself, you end up needing a robot that has human level versatility or needing to renovate your entire house. Since many people will want to not fold their laundry but also don't want to or cannot renovate their entire house, there will be a market for such devices if and when we get them working.

This is not a near future thing, you are absolutely right on that point. Human equivalent robots are HARD. But they are categorically not impossible (humans exist, clearly these problems can be solved). The question is, do we want them. And my contention is that yes, we actually do.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 02:27:36 PM by TheTalkingMeowth »

Offline ArcWolf (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »

This is not a near future thing, you are absolutely right on that point. Human equivalent robots are HARD. But they are categorically not impossible (humans exist, clearly these problems can be solved). The question is, do we want them. And my contention is that yes, we actually do.

Exactly. We are however talking about a game where we can fly spaceship at the speed of light, colonize worlds 100s of light years from Earth, and terraform almost every planet into a garden world.  Making a humanoid-equivalent robot is well within the lore. I mean it's not like there is a whole spoiler NPR out there already doing it...

The overall issue I think is that if you can build pops it will just be a measure of being able to set it up so you build get more POP built than you need mines to get the resources from them, after this all POP you build are simply a net plus. You just end up with resources is the ONLY thing restricting your industrial growth, population is no longer restricting you at all.

So you do not believe there is a good way to balance it. That is a fair argument, i do not agree, but the whole point of this post was to get others opinions on where it can or should be done. So thank you.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2021, 09:07:16 PM »

By the time there is technology that could safely and cheaply deliver a human like robot that can do every boring task in a household we probably are no longer going to need it as our lives are so much different by the technology it have given us in the mean time, including all the things in our homes.

We are not even close to any such robots today. I also believe that 99% of all boring tasks in a household would be far cheaper and easier done with specialized drones or other automation tools rather than on tool that does it all... especially considering how far off we are from the general purpose robot types.

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2021, 09:18:47 PM »
I would like some kind of robot or AI ship control so we could have drones and unmanned probes.

Some ideas: a computer control checkmark or component that can be added to ships. AI ships would not lose morale for deployment time or require crew or crew quarters or have life pods. However they gain no fleet training or commander bonuses. They could cost more tonnage or more minerals than normal crewed ships to make them prohibitively expensive.

Offline ArcWolf (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2021, 02:10:33 AM »
I would like some kind of robot or AI ship control so we could have drones and unmanned probes.

Some ideas: a computer control checkmark or component that can be added to ships. AI ships would not lose morale for deployment time or require crew or crew quarters or have life pods. However they gain no fleet training or commander bonuses. They could cost more tonnage or more minerals than normal crewed ships to make them prohibitively expensive.

I was thinking something similar. A Component that would weigh about 100 tons, but would reduce the required crew by, say, 20. But the more i thought about it, i have never had an issue with not having enough crew to man my ships, so i don't know if anyone would every find it necessary.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2021, 04:21:44 AM »
A few simple solutions to Robotic ships would be to replace the bridge and auxiliary bridge with an expensive AI control unit. If both of these components are damaged the ship is essentially out of action until repaired, the ship can still repair itself if it has enough MSP to repair the component like any other ship.

The ship would also need twice the amount of engineering sections over other ships instead of crew compartments.

It would be nice from a role-play perspective at least if we could make unmanned drone ships. If we look at the real world this is basically where we are headed anyway eventually with allot of vehicles. Think of what an unmanned nuclear submarine could do for example, would be very practical for a military to have such an asset. When the technology is there such platforms would also become allot less expensive to maintain and operate versus a manned platform. In modern armies the soldier are usually the most expensive part of the military, when you also consider that most only serve for a few years then the cost of training are considerable if you want a high standard for your soldiers or ship crews.

Although as far as I can recall... Steve have been against removing the human factor and it's impact on ships. So I doubt we would get such a change, it might also be a mechanic that make very little impact on the game as  crew are quite abstracted and is a very small cost, almost negligible while in the real world it is a considerable economic cost.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 10:46:21 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2021, 07:05:48 AM »
Levitation...kind of doesn't exist?
Would you prefer to list every technology that exists in Aurora 4X but not today, or should I?  ::)

Although to be fair, we do have working levitating already today for vehicles, bearings and other utilities, based on magnetic levitation.

Flight is very energy intensive, and so if we don't NEED it (which we don't, because houses are designed to be used by humans which cannot fly), we are better off not wasting our limited budget (both financial and energetic) on that capacity.

Just like we would never need to expend the extra energy to fly somewhere today when we have technology like cars, busses, trains and ships available that can get us anywhere we want spending much less financial and energetic budget!

The last 200 years our energy consumption shot up 30 fold. With breakthroughs like TN and Aurora tech that increase the economy & efficiency by about +20% every roughly 5-10 years it's clear that in Aurora 4x fiction this trend continues or even accelerates further.

What we today consider a "waste of energy" in the future wouldn't even be worthy of any thought unless you today consider your 150 horsepower car used for commuting to work a monumental waste of energy just because two hundred years ago the energy of a single horse was fine to get to work.

This discussion while amusing is pretty pointless and also offtopic so I won't be replying further.

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »
I consider myself a robophile, but not really humanoid-ideal centered anyway. Human body is rather suboptimal, when it comes economical movement and energy usage - ideal would be at least 3 legs/wheels or 2 tracks, for moving around. Making it a ball - like BB-8 from star wars (sequels, ironically, though I personally consider them pretty bad movies) - is also an okay-ish option...

Anyway, enough about humanoid-like robots - the question is, what are robots supposed to do in game?
Right now, we are in the process of deciding whether to make robots an alternative for expansion and acquisition of resources.
I think, we need an expanded pop statistics windows - so that you could create robots, but these robots have to be designed with a specific environment in mind (just like when creating new species, you should be able to choose in what kind of environment they are suited to live in) - you want them in a dense Venusian atmosphere palnet? Make them as durable as submarines.
Lifeless rock? Resistant to star radiation.
Terran planet? Depending on atmospheric conditions, more or less amount of inert materials in the robot.
This is kind of what we need in a potential Ground Force rework - I find it odd, that ground forces are immune to radiation, and many other things...

And now that some folks mentioned that Steve is not in favor of robots... heh. Precursors and Invaders... I should've known...
But otherwise, how vulnerable the robot population would be to NPR/any other race attacking it? Like precursors? Invaders?

Generally, what I offer - make robot creation the (basically) same as in biology tech tree of creating a new species. Choosing special traits, allowing it to exist and operate in certain conditions.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »
The absolutely easiest way to represent robots would be automation... so just add an automated variant of all production buildings or why not every building. Most basic buildings probably could be twice the cost the same as an Automine, but some probably should be more expensive, such as research complexes.

That is pretty much what you are asking for, adding robot pop really make very little sense from a game play perspective as they don't breed you just build them like anything else. The above basically give you the same effect but without the hassle, you can just imagine all the robots living there. I do that with Automines too... I also usually role-play that Automines have some skeleton crew of engineers to run them.

In theory you could "build" humans too... just make them infertile and clone them... ;) if population actually was a problem in the future we could likely just breed them in test tubes using energy and some basic resources. Realistically population numbers should never really be a problem as long as you have the energy needed for them to consume things.

It is only when we look at things from a game-play perspective this is important. In reality we could just increase production indefinitely as long as we have the resources and energy to sustain it... we don't need population to really produce things. We do need population to consume things though, or use them... there is no reason to have more population just to consume more things. But this does not make for a fun game or mechanic in my opinion. Population is a restriction we need to have to have to make expansion more than just finding minerals to produce more mines to get more minerals so we can have more factories producing more mines and round we go... ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 01:12:43 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, dsedrez

Offline ArcWolf (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
The absolutely easiest way to represent robots would be automation... so just add an automated variant of all production buildings or why not every building. Most basic buildings probably could be twice the cost the same as an Automine, but some probably should be more expensive, such as research complexes.

I have no issue with having automating just about every building, with the exception of Research Complexes. I already play at 20% research speed since you fly through the techs so fast at the lower levels, by the time you are done designing a new ship it's already outdated. I find that in my 20% research games, the 1mil pop requirement for Research complexes is the balancing point in growth.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2021, 05:44:30 PM »

I have no issue with having automating just about every building, with the exception of Research Complexes. I already play at 20% research speed since you fly through the techs so fast at the lower levels, by the time you are done designing a new ship it's already outdated. I find that in my 20% research games, the 1mil pop requirement for Research complexes is the balancing point in growth.

I also play with 10-20 tech rate but I don't mind if technology fly faster than you can design and build things, that is just realistic to be honest.

I just recently started to mod the database to include about 30 levels of technology for each tech and sort of balanced it around 10-20% tech rate. So you will go from roughly the same levels as the current version but just with allot more technologies with way less steps between each one. I find that way more enjoyable and realistic personally. I also find some of the technology that you need to get as a one time thing are too expensive at low tech rates, such as the starting Trans Newtonian tech, the different bridges, some electronics, and jump engines. They simply take too long at really low tech level for no good reason versus other technologies. So I lowered them slightly in cost... roughly 3500RP instead of 5000 or 7000RP instead of 10kRP.

But this is probably for another thread...

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
I don't see a point in making robots a parallel population measured in numbers just like humans are. I can't see robots in the future as being as clean-cut as being 'replacement humans'.  Instead we would develop 'robots' in the form of automated systems built specifically to fulfill some purpose or another. Like the factory arms you see making cars these days. I think a better term to use than 'robots' would be 'automation'.

Automation tech would basically reduce the number of population required to operate a particular facility to reflect advances in automation.

This can be done solely through the research mechanic. You can call it 'automation' and it can go in the Logistics or Construction section. Have it start with basic robots and go all the way to hyper-advance AI's making humans essentially obsolete.

Add branching technologies to also make ships require less crew, saving on amenities to the point you can make automated ships.

Make it dangerous to go this far and employ so much automation by making AI rebellions a thing. Watch your automated colonies and ships turn on you and die.

This would be a much better representation of 'robots' in Aurora's gameplay than just adding a pop type you can build on command.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:19:48 PM by Borealis4x »

The following users thanked this post: Cinnius