Author Topic: Unit police strength indicator  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Norm49 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
Unit police strength indicator
« on: November 25, 2021, 08:41:55 PM »
It would be nice if in the ground unit window we can see how much a unit is adding to the police strength of a planet. Now we can only see how much police strength is present on a planet but it make it hard to plan. For example I am now building police unit but on the planet we i need them, on the same planet i also have a staging ground for a operation. When i will lunch the operation i don't know what will be the police strength because it calculate all the unit on the planet and not only the unit base on that planet.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Unit police strength indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 09:16:33 PM »
While this is a fine suggestion, in the interest of being useful I will share that the (base) police strength of a single unit is equal to 0.01 * sqrt(size), and the police strength of one or more formations is simply the sum of police strengths for all of its units. This means 20000 tons of PWL infantry (strength 115) will be much more efficient for policing than 20000 tons of heavy tanks (strength 22 for 80 ton tanks), for instance.

Police strength is also improved by unit morale, so a commander with a GC Training bonus can also be useful, but I wouldn't use this fact for planning purposes as you can't rely on having commanders with this bonus.

Offline dsedrez

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: Unit police strength indicator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:03:01 PM »
While this is a fine suggestion, in the interest of being useful I will share that the (base) police strength of a single unit is equal to 0.01 * sqrt(size), and the police strength of one or more formations is simply the sum of police strengths for all of its units. This means 20000 tons of PWL infantry (strength 115) will be much more efficient for policing than 20000 tons of heavy tanks (strength 22 for 80 ton tanks), for instance.

Police strength is also improved by unit morale, so a commander with a GC Training bonus can also be useful, but I wouldn't use this fact for planning purposes as you can't rely on having commanders with this bonus.

There's a problem though in that apparently this sum is calculated element by element (group of identical units in a single formation) and then truncated before being added to the other elements present at the colony. That means that multiple smaller formations will have less total police strength, in general, than fewer larger ones with the same total unit quantities.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit