Author Topic: Save sharing  (Read 1644 times)

Offline ColdSuit (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
Save sharing
« on: December 20, 2021, 02:06:30 AM »
Hello everyone, I just joined the community in hopes of learning the game. 

My biggest question so far is; is it possible for players to share saves between time?
I find that my biggest lessons come from observing the work of others and I was wondering if it was possible for people to share their saves. 

Thank you,
ColdSuit

Offline Zook

• Commander
Re: Save sharing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 02:58:59 AM »
https://ufile.io/di849pm6

Try this one. It's my first C# game, I'm in year 2092 and I've just fought a major battle against [spoilers] in 67 Hydrae. Not the first, as you'll see by the number of wrecks. For some reason I can't get my supply ships to replenish my destroyer ammo, but if you like (and don't mind meeting the [spoilers] in somebody else's game), feel free to detach the Kazan frigates (you'd probably need to go to the Formation tab and unset the Anchor Fleet, or they'll always move back to the anchor) and attack.

I'm also building a large (for my taste) army for ground invasion in Zeta Doradus. It's meticulously organized, although the units are far too small (aybe that's because my troop transports are far too small, too). It'll be my 2nd attempt at attacking there. During my first invasion I learned a valuable lesson: if the defender can neutralize your assets faster than you can unload them, the invasion might turn out to be a challenge. Oh, and just have a look, don't actually attack. The target planet is defended again.

Apart from that it's all peaceful.

For some reason all the civilian ship designs (automatically designed and not normally the player's business) show up in the ship design list. No idea why.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »
In addition to looking at save files, I'd recommend reading some of the "after action reports" people have posted. They talk about their gameplay, usually in a somewhat in-universe perspective, but often include ship designs (and rationale), as well as combat tactics and whatnot.

Offline ColdSuit (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 01:43:13 AM »
Thank you so much!

I dont care too much about the spoilers; Ive been reading the wiki on and off for the past couple years and im well aware of their presence. 

How do I install this save if you dont mind me asking?

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 02:42:10 AM »
Just unzip it and put it in the Aurora folder. Make a copy of your own Aurora DB first if you want to keep anything of it.

Offline Abridal

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 11:07:14 AM »
Somewhat tangential, but I'm curious: was there ever a community Aurora game like those famous DF community multiplayer games, where each player controls the Player Race for a given number of years then shares the saved game and DB to the next in line?

Offline ColdSuit (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 07:47:58 PM »
Thanks for the help. 

I looked into it, and it appears that there hasnt been much in the way of long-form games as seen in DF. 

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 02:08:17 AM »
Thanks for the help. 

I looked into it, and it appears that there hasnt been much in the way of long-form games as seen in DF.
Long games of Aurora tend to get killed by slowdown and lag, unless you are doing a conventional start and/or playing incredibly slowly and cautiously.

It's a lot better in C# than VB6, but it still happens.