Author Topic: Loading ship box launchers  (Read 1694 times)

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Loading ship box launchers
« on: December 22, 2021, 06:20:41 AM »
I'm in the middle of designing a bombardment cruiser to get through the ridiculous level of PD that a precursor fleet I've encountered has. Before I finalise the design I need to understand how the box launcher/missile allocation mechanic works. Obviously I drag and drop the available missile to the launcher to load it but is that done when the cruiser is orbit around a colony with ordnance transfer stations? Does the ship combat tab pick up the missiles available for the box launchers from the colony or is there some other mechanic I need to use?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all the Aurora players out there!

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Loading ship box launchers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 06:41:43 AM »
When designing the ship, you can configure the loadout based on what missiles you have designed before. Then, when you build the ship, it will automatically get full loadout if enough missiles are present on the colony. I don't think you need a spaceport or ordnance transfer station for this original loading but yeah, you do need them for restocking missiles in the future.

As for combat, you only need to set the missile for one launcher because you can then use the copy buttons to get everything loaded. If you only have one type of MFC and launcher, then the auto button will work well too, handling everything for you.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »
When designing the ship, you can configure the loadout based on what missiles you have designed before. Then, when you build the ship, it will automatically get full loadout if enough missiles are present on the colony. I don't think you need a spaceport or ordnance transfer station for this original loading but yeah, you do need them for restocking missiles in the future.

This is what I'm struggling with. As the CB only has box launchers there is no point including magazines, so how do I assign missiles to the box launchers in the class design window? The class design window doesn't appear to include any option to assign missiles to individual weapons (unlike the ship combat tab on the Naval Org window). If I had magazines I could use the Ordnance and Fighters tab to assign missiles to the class.

As for combat, you only need to set the missile for one launcher because you can then use the copy buttons to get everything loaded. If you only have one type of MFC and launcher, then the auto button will work well too, handling everything for you.

Thanks happy with that, I use the functionality for my CGs :)

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »

This is what I'm struggling with. As the CB only has box launchers there is no point including magazines, so how do I assign missiles to the box launchers in the class design window? The class design window doesn't appear to include any option to assign missiles to individual weapons (unlike the ship combat tab on the Naval Org window). If I had magazines I could use the Ordnance and Fighters tab to assign missiles to the class.
Launchers, including box launchers, add the size of the missile they can load to the class's magazine space (even when there are no actual magazines).
I've never had problems using the Ordnance and Fighters tab to assign a loadout to a class on box launcher only designs.

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »

Launchers, including box launchers, add the size of the missile they can load to the class's magazine space (even when there are no actual magazines).
I've never had problems using the Ordnance and Fighters tab to assign a loadout to a class on box launcher only designs.

It does indeed, I've just confirmed that on my design, the number of missiles loaded was equivalent to the number of box launchers. Thanks for the assist. Not used full sized warships with box launchers before. Now to crush those pesky precursors...

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »
I am fearing for the unsettling creepypasta moment, where you end your message with "Not Welchbloke" ;D
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy