Author Topic: A.F.R.I.C.A discussion thread  (Read 125 times)

Offline Stormtrooper (OP)

• Commander
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
A.F.R.I.C.A discussion thread
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:50:00 PM »
So here I am again, feeling so relieved I didn't have to write any AAR anymore as I finished the last DLC, but of course it couldn't last. Nothing lasts forever. Even time itself has to stop flowing some day. ::)

I don't want to play 1.13 Aurora anymore and the VB6 UI is vastly superior to the C# one, so I guess it's finally time to try Quasar 4x which I will be doing starting from now. It has Invaders already if I remember correctly and I hope I don't remember incorrectly.  :P So far didn't set up the game yet as the VB6 UI being vastly superior doesn't mean I know it since I only played C# so will need to take some time to learn and adjust to it so as of now I've just written this short intro, but I plan to run a conventional start starting with 250m humans hiding in the installations of a polluted, destroyed Earth with toxic atmosphere, dust, radiation and scorching temperatures as well as with ruins of the old human civilization.

As for the theme, I want this short AAR to be a pure human experience and I'm going to try to explore the philosophy of human nature and condition and whether it's possible to truly change something and whether that one rebellion might really be the last that finally lead to the awaited "better future", whatever that really means... That means that there will be no aliens at all this time and I want to be upfront about it right from the start (though if I finally encounter that damn star swarm then maybe... ::)). Instead I think I'll take some human-related concepts from my original AAR (that one about covid-19  :P) and expand upon them, providing much more detail and descriptions, all wrapped in a cyberpunk theme (so expect implants, even more implants, genetic modifications, corporate oppression, lots of cool synthwave tracks I'll be linking from time to time and a hail of laser fire).

I also have some ideas for spicing up things past a certain point when the inevitable wars will come, but I'll keep quiet about them now.  8)
Any discussion about this new stuff I'll be working on is obviously welcome.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Vice Admiral
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: A.F.R.I.C.A discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:07:42 PM »
I am wholly unconvinced that this was not simply an excuse to link a Cyberpunk cover of 'Africa'.  :P

Year 2120... Climate change, war, k-pop, century-old lack of toilet paper, release of Cyberpunk 2077 and other disasters have made the Earth uninhabitable.

Disasters obviously listed in order from least to most devastating, for dramatic effect.

Very dystopian/cyberpunk vibes in this introductory post, of course this is no surprise as it was the intent but the intent was certainly accomplished. I suspect this AAR was motivated in part by a recent trip to the movie theaters? The new Matrix movie perhaps lacked the same old magic as the older ones but it was still nostalgic and there is certainly room for a Stormtrooper take on the subject matter which may perhaps have more artistic merits.  ;)

Looking forward to seeing how a Quasar4x AAR looks, I think it would be the first on this board? Certainly the first one of significant length at the very least. I've tried playing it myself, on a laptop which doesn't support the C# resolution requirements, but even with the convenient UI rescaling in Quasar I've struggled a lot trying to get used to the VB6 UI, personally I prefer the C# one most of the time even if it has its own problems. However the old VB6 game had a certain elegant simplicity compared to C# which I sometimes yearn for...

Since Cyberpunk and Matrix are rather popular inspirations perhaps we will see some other commenters to join the discussion for this go-around?  ;D

Offline Stormtrooper (OP)

• Commander
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »
Didn't expect it to see you so fast! Guess time flies when it is axtually stopped between cycles of the universe... Anyways, the joke is on you, because I didn't see Matrix, neither the new or old ones, so all I know about it could be summarized by "there's a simulation humans live in, it's actually smeg but the real world is also smeg". Oh, and pills and stopping bullets mid-air, obviously. So this matrix here is pretty much the same as the one from the Covid-19 AAR, just a simulation that feels very real into which humans escape from the sorrow of the real world and unsuccessfully try to escape from the pain of their miserable lives, I guess I'll just write more about it this time because cyberpunk.

I am wholly unconvinced that this was not simply an excuse to link a Cyberpunk cover of 'Africa'. 

Citizen, for violating the safety of N.O.V.A. Bunker System by spreading false stress-inducing rumours, your weekly subscription for life support has been canceled. If you cooperate and tell us where and how did you learn about mentioned creations of the Old World you will get a chance to repent your sins by giving a final service for the society in a food processing facility. If you refuse, your subscription for limits on maximum daily dose of pain N.O.V.A. Inc might request from you will also be cancelled.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Vice Admiral
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 07:40:13 PM »
Citizen, for violating the safety of N.O.V.A. Bunker System by spreading false stress-inducing rumours, your weekly subscription for life support has been canceled. If you cooperate and tell us where and how did you learn about mentioned creations of the Old World you will get a chance to repent your sins by giving a final service for the society in a food processing facility. If you refuse, your subscription for limits on maximum daily dose of pain N.O.V.A. Inc might request from you will also be cancelled.

"You'll never take me alive, coppers!!"
-some random human criminal, probably  :P