Author Topic: Video tutorials: Plan unknown  (Read 18024 times)

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
Video tutorials: Plan unknown
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
Aurora 4x Tutorial videos
A series dedicated to a great game with a steep learning curve...

Introduction: So I have been playing this game, and I find it really great, but my god is it confusing  ???
So in an attempt to broaden the audience, I will be creating a bunch of (mediocre/abysmal) videos that attempt to teach new players how to install, create and get started on a new game. The tutorial is currently planned to teach the first year or so of gameplay, but I will make more once I learn more of the game myself and have a better understanding of how everything works, as well as when I have the time.

The current plan is to have 1 video a day, although deviations from that schedule are possible (and quite likely) so don't expect me to keep to it, but I will try to make up for lost days with an extra video or 2.
This is no longer the case. With school on, and other commitments I have made, keeping to this schedule is impossible. The current plan as of 26th Feb is unknown, but this series has not been officially "cancelled" yet

I hope that the tutorials are clear, concise, and most importantly enjoyable to watch. I also hope that you guys enjoy playing the game and watching the vids as much as I am currently having fun making them. No doubt we will all learn something from this.

Videos

Part 1 Installing and setting up a new world:
feature=youtu.be
Part 2 System map and starting economics:
feature=youtu.be
Part 3 Economics continued:
feature=youtu.be
Part 4 Ship design:
context=C336c78aADOEgsToPDskKIZCJ7JjjU0VHz3ScNik77
Part 5 Task groups and using ships:
feature=youtu.be
Part 6 Terraforming, homework check and subscriber special:
feature=youtu.be
Part 7 It's not a tutorial!:
context=C4b9e5bfADvjVQa1PpcFPXDAC17u7QKdIYXi7LeheiCYfDijk5_50=

Tell me what you think! Also comment if you have questions, and like if you think this was helpful!

Current goals:
So I decided to show a list of goals for this series. These are milestones that I wish to reach, and I hope that eventually these goals will be reached no problem, but I know eventually I will come across an unobtainable goal. You can help me reach these goals, and would appreciate any assistance in doing just that!

1. Get this thread stickied (Hopefully. Not a request, rather a goal that once an admin/moderator deems this series worthy, it will be stickied) Goal has been completed as of 24th Feb!
2. Finish the tutorial of the game for the first year (current progress is 5 days worth)
3. Have at least 1 video get 1000 views (I'm not to sure how long this goal has been completed, but it has now been doubled! Whoo!!)
4. Have 1 video reach 20 likes (first video is currently on 24 likes! Yeah!)
5. Effectively end the series when gameplay has been explained adequately enough that players can go out and experiment with the game themselves, learning new things now that they have basic knowledge of the interface. (This will be obtained once the player base believes there is nothing left to teach. It may never be reached, it could be reached sooner than you think. But this is the grand goal at the moment, once achieved I might continue making videos on something else)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:27:05 AM by lavenders2 »

Offline ponche

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • p
Re: Video tutorials: Plan to make at least 1 every day or more
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
A very nice iniciative, hoping it doesn't become vapor!  :P
I'm a complete newbie and i would like to learn how to play because this game seems amazing.

Offline Pyromanuel

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
Looks like a good piece of work so far.
Keep it up, also I bet the forum can help you a lot if you make a mistake or need help with something!

If you some day think about giving up your project, think about this:
You learn alot yourself while trying to explain everything noobproof and like I mentioned before we're all helping out! So you better get the next part up and running ASAP ;)

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
Don't be like me, and stop doing it after 3 episodes.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
A very nice iniciative, hoping it doesn't become vapor!  :P
I'm a complete newbie and i would like to learn how to play because this game seems amazing.

That's great! Good to see people who want to learn more

Looks like a good piece of work so far.
Keep it up, also I bet the forum can help you a lot if you make a mistake or need help with something!

If you some day think about giving up your project, think about this:
You learn alot yourself while trying to explain everything noobproof and like I mentioned before we're all helping out! So you better get the next part up and running ASAP ;)

Don't be like me, and stop doing it after 3 episodes.

I have already got episode 2 and 3 recorded ready to upload, and later tonight I will start working on the next episodes. And yes, I am still learning this game, in episode 2 and 3 I try to explain some areas of the interface but fail, mostly cause I don't know what it does myself :P. Fortunately, its only small things like mod rates and things like that, which don't need to be explained. Like I said, it is a basic tutorial to get you off your feet and start figuring things out once you have basic interface knowledge. Of course, with proper support for these, I will keep doing them past the first year!

Also Din, nice to see support from the other person who wanted to do this project, but why did you stop after 3 episodes?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:48:18 PM by lavenders2 »

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »
Next video is up, part 3 is being edited and saved now

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »
Part 3 uploaded successfully

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
I linked to them in the wiki.

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »
I linked to them in the wiki.
Wow!
Thanks man

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »
Well after a bit of a break I am back into it and could potentially have the next 4-5 episodes done, but instead of putting those into separate episodes, I'm going to try upload it all into one big episode, which goes through basic ship design and researching ship components and how to get those ships. I stuff up many times throughout because the ship design is complex, and stuff up quite bad towards the end, but I will explain things better when I get to warship design. Moving forward, I am going to try and get this thing uploaded, I don't know how well it will turn out though. I am expecting audio sync issues because the ship design took so long, and I apologize in advance. I think I am going to cut things on and off constantly to prevent this from happening.

So expect the next episode on my channel soon!

EDIT: It is around 37 minutes long. This will take a little while to edit, so I am not going to get around to uploading this until tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:36:47 AM by lavenders2 »

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »
Ship design episode is now up!
context=C336c78aADOEgsToPDskKIZCJ7JjjU0VHz3ScNik77
It's a big one

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
Okay, so many of you may be wondering where part 5 is, but something really weird and bad has happened. As none of you guys know, I use a laptop to record aurora, except I do it using a second monitor, for 1280x1024 resolution so I can play it at the minimum resolution requirement. But for some reason it stopped working. The screen comes on for half a second and then turn itself off again, so I can't play anything on it. This means there are 2 potential things I can do:

One is to use a mod that allows you to resize screens (resize enable) so I can continue to show you everything, but sometimes that doesn't work the way you wanted it to. It will force me to cut the screen off frequently while I set up the next screen for play, so you guys can see what I am doing. On the brighter side, it will remove the black bars, so you guys will not have to worry about the black bars at least.

The second and final solution that I don't want to turn to, but seems somewhat likely, is to cancel the series entirely and not make any more videos on this wonderful game. This is something I don't want to do, but I am running out of options so either the mod, or I cancel the show. Getting the monitor fixed is unlikely as it is no longer supported (I have had it for a very long time now so it did a good job while it lasted) and I don't have the time to go and get it fixed. Tomorrowish I will try getting the monitor to work and using the mod if that fails, and if it all doesn't work out the way I want it to, then I am postponing the tutorial videos, probably for a very long time, and they may not come back. I have taught you quite a fair bit now, and there is so much more I wish to tell you, but at this current state its very hard to consider an episode working.

Of course, one final solution would be for a better mod or Steve to allow lower resolutions to play the game ;)

EDIT: This is no longer the case. This series will continue.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:30:11 AM by lavenders2 »

Offline DGardener

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
Quote from: lavenders2 link=topic=4516. msg45551#msg45551 date=1326854469
Okay, so many of you may be wondering where part 5 is, but something really weird and bad has happened.  As none of you guys know, I use a laptop to record aurora, except I do it using a second monitor, for 1280x1024 resolution so I can play it at the minimum resolution requirement.  But for some reason it stopped working.  The screen comes on for half a second and then turn itself off again, so I can't play anything on it.  This means there are 2 potential things I can do:

One is to use a mod that allows you to resize screens (resize enable) so I can continue to show you everything, but sometimes that doesn't work the way you wanted it to.  It will force me to cut the screen off frequently while I set up the next screen for play, so you guys can see what I am doing.  On the brighter side, it will remove the black bars, so you guys will not have to worry about the black bars at least.

The second and final solution that I don't want to turn to, but seems somewhat likely, is to cancel the series entirely and not make any more videos on this wonderful game.  This is something I don't want to do, but I am running out of options so either the mod, or I cancel the show.  Getting the monitor fixed is unlikely as it is no longer supported (I have had it for a very long time now so it did a good job while it lasted) and I don't have the time to go and get it fixed.  Tomorrowish I will try getting the monitor to work and using the mod if that fails, and if it all doesn't work out the way I want it to, then I am postponing the tutorial videos, probably for a very long time, and they may not come back.  I have taught you quite a fair bit now, and there is so much more I wish to tell you, but at this current state its very hard to consider an episode working.

Of course, one final solution would be for a better mod or Steve to allow lower resolutions to play the game ;)

So did you managed to fix the monitor?
Damn it, Din seems to have canceled his tutorial series, and now you. . .  This game is cursed, it wants us to have headaches trying to surf on the learning curve!

And what's wrong with your laptop screen, can't you just record there? I play on a laptop, and the reduced height windows + taskbar hiding automatically is just perfect.  (1280x800)
I hope you can fix that somehow, you were doing a great work on the tutorials!

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »
So did you managed to fix the monitor?
Damn it, Din seems to have canceled his tutorial series, and now you. . .  This game is cursed, it wants us to have headaches trying to surf on the learning curve!

And what's wrong with your laptop screen, can't you just record there? I play on a laptop, and the reduced height windows + taskbar hiding automatically is just perfect.  (1280x800)
I hope you can fix that somehow, you were doing a great work on the tutorials!

Thanks for your positive feedback! I was really starting to enjoy making these videos since they were fun and people were actually liking them. It is very motivating.
I have some bad news though. My laptop does not have a 800 pixel height, only 768. Unfortunately, this means reduced system height will not work, and it still cuts out some small things. Also, my monitor is gone. No hope for it. It is dead, I think something in it died (bad caps?) and that is a true shame/

BUT

There is some great news with this bad news. As an experiment, I have a TV (very small) in my room that I can use as a monitor. It looks badass, and does what it is meant to do, allow me to have the correct resolution. Now, I can play Aurora again and give you tutorial videos again! YAY!
Bonus points. I made a test video using a higher resolution. What this did is make the text quite small, but gets rid of all the black bars on the video! Now, you should be able to see everything I do on the youtube video, and not lose quality (I think). It is a test for my next video, so whether the text is readable or not: who knows.

Speaking of next episode, the next episode is done and being edited again. It should be up in an hour or so. I also encounter minor audio sync issues again, which I may have a solution for in the following vid (episode 6)!

So in short, yes this series will continue, and yes, I will be going back to the 1 video a day schedule as best I can. School is starting for me soon, so that promise may not be fulfilled, rather I will upload bigger videos on weekends.

Offline lavenders2 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:40 AM »
It's here. It's big. It's grand. And it still doesn't taste like butter!
Episode 5 hits youtube with no hits, but every time you watch the video you generate a hit! Silent, unintentional trolling! Woo!
And now to satisfy your already satisfied brain I give you Aurora tutorial part 5!!!
feature=youtu.be