Poll

Artifact

Artifact
0 (0%)
Artifact
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 09, 2014, 11:57:26 AM

Author Topic: New Story  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
New Story
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
I am getting ready to write a new story with the new 6.30 Beta patch. I have two installs of Aurora on my computer now so there is no need to worry about losing the Republic of Earth. I have several possible ideas for what kind of story I would write. I would like to open it up to votes for my readers. The poll will be open for a month and if a newer version of Aurora comes out in that time I will use that rather than 6.30.

I will be having a couple of rounds of voting getting more and more specific if the first choice does not win.

The first choice is to do a story like my other one where we drop in on important people throughout the story. The biggest pro to it is its the type of story I am best at.

The second is to follow a naval ship. This will probably be the most action packed because I will write about some form of attack ship.

The third option is to follow an army battalion. This will probably read like an accessible version of one of my favorite books, War and Peace. As it will be split between heavy action and lulls.

A fourth choice is to hear about a space station of some kind. Depending on what kind of space station this is there are a lot of potential stories to tell.

The fifth option is to follow a fighter wing. A fighter wing will probably have the fewest number of characters and it could be attached to a colony, space station, a carrier, or any mix of the above.

And the last choice is to follow a colony. The colony would be interesting in that it will follow the growth of a planet.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
Re: New Story
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Currently the voting is as tight as it can be with only 5 votes. There is two weeks left for voting so make them count.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
Whole picture with daily updates

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
I don't think I will be able to do daily updates.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
It is now just under two weeks till voting closes, I was a bit off the first time saying 2 weeks, and whole picture has taken a massive lead and has been consistently in the 60% of the total vote since voting picked up. There is still plenty of time and plenty of people who could vote yet so there is a chance for another choice to win.

Also on a timeline for the actual story note, I think I am going to wait until 6.4 comes out which will happen SoonTM. Once it comes out I will need a week or so to monkey around with it and then I will start the game and start the story when I think its getting interesting.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
It seems everybody wants another big picture story, but honestly I think you'll be hard pressed to keep 2 of those going at once, besides there's a few big picture stories running in this forum right now and something different would be nice. I voted to follow the battalion as it's a genre Iike but haven't seen much of so far here(if anyone could suggest any past AARs that have a lot of ground combatants I would be appreciative). I'm not sure about the war and piece analogy however, you're not going to stop in the middle of the action for an essay on trans-Newtonian labor practices and it's effect on agriculture and the common market or something like that are you? =p
I think I might check out Webers star fire novels soon as I've heard they have quite a lot if good ground action heinlein style against the bugs.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »
You could be right about me being hard pressed to keep two big picture stories going at once. I will have to see what happens when this starts. No I am not going to stop in the middle of the action to go on some long winded essay on something no one really cares about. I used the analogy because the ground forces can't be fighting all the time. Honestly of all the ideas I put up, ground forces would probably be the hardest to write.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
Actually I've not even read war and piece, but I would probably be rather interested in the subject mTter of the essays inserted into the narrative, I just haven't given myself the time to read large novels.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
I enjoy most of it. There are some parts that are slow but other parts more than make up for it.

Back to the story, if I don't go with whole picture I'd go with the second place which right now is fighter wing.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
I am closing the voting early because there has been no movement for the last several days. I have come up with an idea for my next game and it will come out soon after version 6.4 is released.