Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 357851 times)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2820 on: August 11, 2022, 11:22:08 AM »
I currently cannot get any refuelling orders to work except 'refuel from stationary tankers'.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the current state of play?

e.g. for discussion, I have a tanker set to 'refuel own fleet' and a target fleet at the same location.
I tried a join and refuel order given to the tanker, which joins but then does not refuel, also join refuel & resupply which does the same, join then nothing.
After joining a tanker to a fleet I tried refuel from own tankers and this also did nothing.
I have tried the different settings on the tanker and they dont change anything and always revert to 'refuel own fleet'.

Is it me?

If both ships are tankers, you need to give one the "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" setting (and make sure the other one does not have that setting).

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2821 on: August 11, 2022, 02:35:36 PM »
I currently cannot get any refuelling orders to work except 'refuel from stationary tankers'.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the current state of play?

e.g. for discussion, I have a tanker set to 'refuel own fleet' and a target fleet at the same location.
I tried a join and refuel order given to the tanker, which joins but then does not refuel, also join refuel & resupply which does the same, join then nothing.
After joining a tanker to a fleet I tried refuel from own tankers and this also did nothing.
I have tried the different settings on the tanker and they dont change anything and always revert to 'refuel own fleet'.

Is it me?

If both ships are tankers, you need to give one the "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" setting (and make sure the other one does not have that setting).

For which order type pls?

Specific case, I have just tried targeting a non tanker fleet with a tanker+supply ship, with 'join and refuel' which does not work. It joins but does not refuel. Refuel from own tankers does not work either. Whyyyyy?

EDIT - OK I got two tankers to work in one fleet by not setting an order, then the settings did not revert and "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" worked as a standing order to transfer fuel to the fleet.

Giving the 'join and refuel' order did not appear to work as the setting to "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" reverted to "Refuel Own Fleet" on joining, that is so the tanker fleet refuels a non tanker fleet. Doesnt work with joining a tanker fleet.

Also the 'refuel from own tankers' order resets "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" to "Refuel Own Fleet" again, to cater for a non tanker fleet. So it appears as if the order fails with tankers which it does but I just need to set the "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" setting as a standard order and not give it further refuel orders.

What foxed me was the orders mention refuel, but unlike refuel from stationary tankers the process does not conclude after refuelling but before refuelling and notifies order complete when refuelling is not complete, also does not work with tankers at all.

I think I understand how to use them now, thanks for the hint...

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 04:10:08 PM by boolybooly »

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2822 on: August 13, 2022, 12:24:01 AM »
Keep encountering Raiders in the Sol System before I have even left the system and laying waste to everything despite having the known system count set to 10 systems - I see that it is a known issue and will be addressed for 2.1.  Question in the meantime because I've actually never done this before, can you have the option for a particular spoiler unchecked and then later when you're ready activate it and encounter it normally?

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #2823 on: August 13, 2022, 02:02:11 AM »
Keep encountering Raiders in the Sol System before I have even left the system and laying waste to everything despite having the known system count set to 10 systems - I see that it is a known issue and will be addressed for 2.1.  Question in the meantime because I've actually never done this before, can you have the option for a particular spoiler unchecked and then later when you're ready activate it and encounter it normally?

You sure can, under the game settings window you can freely tick and untick the spoilers. IIRC this will only apply to new systems though, so I'm not sure if it will stop raider spawning in an ongoing game since they have their special "invisible" system.

Edit: I believe it works like the civilian spawning. Turning it off won't delete current shipping lines but it will stop more being built and essentially "pause" them, although the existing ships will continue to function
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 02:03:56 AM by ranger044 »

Offline lumporr

• l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2824 on: August 13, 2022, 04:02:22 AM »
Is there any way to load/use alien ordnance? I SM'd in an advanced warship using a different race and transferred it to my player race for RP, but it cannot load any more of its alien ordnance after I transferred it to a colony. The missiles don't appear in the ordnance tab, so I can't assign it any more missiles (it appears as if it doesn't have any missiles assigned at all).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:26:50 AM by lumporr »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2825 on: August 13, 2022, 11:12:32 AM »
You need to tick the "use alien tech" tickbox.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2826 on: August 13, 2022, 11:20:53 AM »
You need to tick the "use alien tech" tickbox.

This will work for components, but not ordnance. For alien ordnance you must do some hacky DB editing, I don't know the sequence but someone like Zap0 would as he has done it in his AAR.

The following users thanked this post: lumporr

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2827 on: August 13, 2022, 11:51:43 AM »
I currently have a diplomacy ship orbiting what appears to be a mining base of an alien civ, with whom I have established communication. I know where their homeworld is, and they've told me to leave, and they have ships flying around, so I know that we're in communication and that they're not a spoiler. However, I cannot for the life of me seem to establish diplomatic communication. Or maybe I'm just not getting any feedback that I am talking to them and improving their opinion of me? Normally an alien civ also shows up in my space with their diplomat, and I get regular messages saying how my opinion of them has gone up, but that's not happening here.

Do you think they're slowing starting to think better of me due to my diplomat ship, but I just don't get any visibility into that, or am I doing something wrong?

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #2828 on: August 13, 2022, 11:58:02 AM »
I currently have a diplomacy ship orbiting what appears to be a mining base of an alien civ, with whom I have established communication. I know where their homeworld is, and they've told me to leave, and they have ships flying around, so I know that we're in communication and that they're not a spoiler. However, I cannot for the life of me seem to establish diplomatic communication. Or maybe I'm just not getting any feedback that I am talking to them and improving their opinion of me? Normally an alien civ also shows up in my space with their diplomat, and I get regular messages saying how my opinion of them has gone up, but that's not happening here.

Do you think they're slowing starting to think better of me due to my diplomat ship, but I just don't get any visibility into that, or am I doing something wrong?

The short answer is you won't really know if their opinion of you is improving.
Your diplomacy efforts improve your opinion of them. If that is happening, you will get regular (per day or per construction cycle) messages with the details.

The full explanation of how it all works is here.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2829 on: August 13, 2022, 12:28:55 PM »
Yes, you only get notifications if their diplomat is interacting with you. Your diplomat's interactions are not shown, and you couldn't see the results anyways as this number is mostly hidden.

Offline ranger044

• r
« Reply #2830 on: August 13, 2022, 05:18:20 PM »
I'm looking to set up a scenario where the player race needs to unify the homeworld before setting out to the stars. I have two questions regarding this:

Is it possible to switch a player controlled empire to being a NPR? The idea is that I want to design a few different "factions" but then let the ai run wild with it. Essentially, I don't want to conquer myself but I want specific flavor within the enemies I'm facing at first.

Second, what exactly does neutral race do? I've read some very conflicting info on Reddit and haven't really found a discussion of it on here. Do they literally just exist and do nothing, or are they just passive and non-confrontational?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2831 on: August 13, 2022, 05:46:43 PM »
Is it possible to switch a player controlled empire to being a NPR? The idea is that I want to design a few different "factions" but then let the ai run wild with it. Essentially, I don't want to conquer myself but I want specific flavor within the enemies I'm facing at first.

No.

Second, what exactly does neutral race do? I've read some very conflicting info on Reddit and haven't really found a discussion of it on here. Do they literally just exist and do nothing, or are they just passive and non-confrontational?

They just kinda sit there and do nothing. Ostensibly, they can be picked up for colonization but I've not seen this actually happen as far as I know. You can basically simulate a "neutral" race by just deleting any installations they would get otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2832 on: August 14, 2022, 01:14:14 AM »
NPR AI has specific requirements for it to work. It will not know how to use player designed ground units and ships, for example. As nuclearslurpsee stated, there is no in-game way to turn a player race into a non-player race and if you do it by DB editing, the NPR AI will not really function. Furthermore, NPR AI cannot really function with a shared homeworld either - you will have a very short and unsatisfying game if you start on Earth with a bunch of NPRs - you would have to use the truce countdown function and as soon that is over, world war will start and the NPRs will happily nuke Earth into oblivion.

It is much, much, much better idea to just roleplay the different Earth factions. You can write your own simple random event table - there are examples in some of the stories in the Fiction sub-forum - or use the Government Simulator here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12763.0 or even just pilfer similar things made for other tabletop games available on the Internet. Or just flip a coin every time you have to make a decision. Personally, I sort of create a "character" for each faction and then they act in a logical manner that fits that character.

Neutral race on Earth is just there to provide colonists. Civilian shipping lines will not pick them up, you must use your own colony ships to get them. It's also possible to discover aliens whose technological level is below TN - they will never achieve TN-tech and are there just so you can conquer them and turn them into labour force.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 01:16:08 AM by Garfunkel »

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2833 on: August 14, 2022, 01:44:01 AM »
Furthermore, NPR AI cannot really function with a shared homeworld either - you will have a very short and unsatisfying game if you start on Earth with a bunch of NPRs - you would have to use the truce countdown function and as soon that is over, world war will start and the NPRs will happily nuke Earth into oblivion.
Huh, am I missing context on the line of comments, or is multi-NPR start on Earth just not viable in 2.0 anymore?
It was definitely working before anyway. I am literally in a game of it where only one faction became evil and triggered the nukes, while 3 other factions have thereafter lived with me peacefully for over 100 years, doing their own thing exploring, guarding Sol, and even sharing tech with me. I even documented that game here.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2834 on: August 14, 2022, 01:45:07 AM »
How is upgrading ground unit formations with new tech best handled?  At the moment the only option I can see is to create the new template with the improved equipment then produce it, then swap it into the formation, then scrap the old equipment.

Should my bombardment units be set for no combat?  Should the FO be attached to the formation with the bombardment units or elsewhere?

What exactly does the HQ rating mean?  I have a battalion HQ with rating 1000, but the total size of the HQ with the attached 5 companies is 1154 is this a problem?  The game isn't giving me a warning or anything.

I can't see a way to reduce the number of components of a type in a ship design...how is that done?  I added 2 small maintenance bays then could see no way to remove them.

I had a ship show up and obliterate my spaceyard...then leave.  The last game 4 ships soon showed up, did the same and dropped elite infantry on my world ... end of that game.  The next time it shows up in this game...I'll see if my defensive works can take it out.  I think these are something that it should be recommended to be turned off for Non-TN starts.