Author Topic: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 64262 times)

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
Re: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 05:19:00 PM »
So you basically want to erase a set of systems.

Are you going to add more systems to the map to compensate for the missing systems or just let the map shrink?

Just thinking if it is an AI antagonist and the game went on long enough the map could end up disappearing, game over!

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 06:40:23 PM »
Now that I think about it, I like the idea of designing a huge ship, giving it a big misc component named "supernova bomb", then making it fly straight to the sun of a system and triggering the SM supernova once it reaches it.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 06:43:18 PM »
Now that I think about it, I like the idea of designing a huge ship, giving it a big misc component named "supernova bomb", then making it fly straight to the sun of a system and triggering the SM supernova once it reaches it.

Supernova, yeah, supernova
Supernova goes pop
Supernova, you think it's over, but
The supernova don't stop

[Citation Needed]

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, ranger044

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 09:14:14 PM »

I prefer the term Star Trigger

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 03:56:23 AM »
So you basically want to erase a set of systems.

Are you going to add more systems to the map to compensate for the missing systems or just let the map shrink?

Just thinking if it is an AI antagonist and the game went on long enough the map could end up disappearing, game over!

Only one system is erased. The rest will just be a little warm for a few decades.

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 07:28:53 AM »
New change to GU templates looks interesting. For people who don't like researching individual units and especially the HQ units this is probably perfect.

One change I might request is that in this step:
If the racial armour modifier or weapon modifier has been changed since the creation of any class in the original template, a new Ground Unit Class will be generated for the matching element in the new template, based on an upgrade of the original class.
could we have the game first check if a class with the current racial armor and weapon modifier exists in the current unit series, and if so use that instead? This would apply even if the latest unit in the series is not just the same design with better stats, meaning that if I want to upgrade my formation from VEH-based tank to HVH-based tanks it is as simple as one button click. Overall this would make the system flexible for different playstyles.

This would allow people who prefer to have the R&D cost of developing their ground units to still benefit from the Copy+Update function, while the default remains the described behavior as I think most will prefer it. Alternatively, a pop-up window with a checkbox to select between these behaviors would be nice, but as this requires adding GUI elements I would not ask for that much extra work.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, BAGrimm

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 12:22:44 PM »
I really like the new GU change as it makes the whole process of upgrading so much simpler. If we could have OOB templates as well that would make it much easier to make detailed ground forces at a large scale.

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
For v2.2, each of the above has a separate 'Start Time', which is set to the Game Time when the player has discovered the requisite number of systems.

Is the new Spoiler spawning mechanic aware of multiple player races at all? If not, I think it would make sense for the timer to start as soon as any player race discovers the required number of systems.

This hadn't occurred to me until I generated some new systems with my setup race and simultaneously triggered Raiders in every player race's home system on the same increment. On that note, if Raiders were just a little more random about how soon they show up after you trigger them, it would make encountering them a bit more interesting.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 03:14:31 PM »
The copy and update button sounds like a phenomenal quality of life improvement, but it is a bit sad that it skips the research process. I've always liked the fact that we research individual components/units, since it's a feature that is pretty unique to Aurora, but it is just pretty cumbersome to connect it with the other systems of the game without requiring tons of extra mouse clicks from the player. I did make a suggestion thread recently about trying to reduce the amount of mouse clicks needed for research, but not sure how much that would help with this new feature in particular.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 04:26:34 PM »
For v2.2, each of the above has a separate 'Start Time', which is set to the Game Time when the player has discovered the requisite number of systems.

Is the new Spoiler spawning mechanic aware of multiple player races at all? If not, I think it would make sense for the timer to start as soon as any player race discovers the required number of systems.

This hadn't occurred to me until I generated some new systems with my setup race and simultaneously triggered Raiders in every player race's home system on the same increment. On that note, if Raiders were just a little more random about how soon they show up after you trigger them, it would make encountering them a bit more interesting.

Player systems is the total number of distinct systems discovered by all player races in combination. So if two player races each discover five different systems, that is ten player systems.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2022, 05:28:17 PM »
ALL PRAISE GU QOL

EDIT: ALL PRAISE WEAPON ASSIGNMENT QOL
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:30:45 PM by Droll »

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm, DEEPenergy, StarshipCactus, ranger044

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2022, 05:43:16 PM »
What if supernova was not the purpose of the weapon, just a side effect with a risk of occurring.

The weapon might be intended to open a hole in the corona to create a vast solar flare which can effectively roast a planet and sterilise it.

It might also or alternatively be a side effect of a machine like a partial dyson sphere which attempts to harness the power of a star to produce TN elements on demand and solve the resource problem once and for all... or not!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2022, 09:04:21 PM »
ALL PRAISE GU QOL

EDIT: ALL PRAISE WEAPON ASSIGNMENT QOL

QOL FOR THE QOL GOD!! UPDATES FOR THE UPDATE THRONE!!

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Droll, DEEPenergy, BAGrimm, StarshipCactus, ranger044, lumporr, Steve Zax

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 12:37:01 PM »
v2.2 adds the Assign # checkbox, along with a numeric text-entry field next to the checkbox. If the Assign # checkbox is checked, then a number of weapons equal to the numeric field will be dragged, according to the following rules.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just allow multiple selection? It seems like it would be even easier for me to just control–click or shift–click the weapons I want and then drag them all together.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2022, 01:26:55 PM »
v2.2 adds the Assign # checkbox, along with a numeric text-entry field next to the checkbox. If the Assign # checkbox is checked, then a number of weapons equal to the numeric field will be dragged, according to the following rules.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just allow multiple selection? It seems like it would be even easier for me to just control–click or shift–click the weapons I want and then drag them all together.
Steve said on Discord that the tree view doesn't support multiple selections.