Author Topic: Frozen hazardous gases  (Read 1514 times)

Offline legemaine (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
Frozen hazardous gases
« on: February 22, 2022, 12:03:46 PM »
My last post has prompted this question.

If I have a frozen hazardous gas in an otherwise breathable atmosphere (at a very low temp of course), I assume my atmosphere can become toxic as the hazardous material sublimes - does the model cover different levels at which different gases turn the atmoshpere toxic? I have 0.278% frozen Cl in a breathable N2/O2 mix at the moment.

Thanks folks

Legemaine

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Frozen hazardous gases
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »
Yes there are different %s where a specific gas will actually apply the toxicity penalty.

However, in practice I've never had a situation where a hazardous gas has been present but not in enough quantities to not be dangerous, its always enough concentration to cause problems.

So in your case if you raise the temperature, that chlorine will unfreeze all at once and apply a hazard penalty.

The following users thanked this post: legemaine

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »
However, in practice I've never had a situation where a hazardous gas has been present but not in enough quantities to not be dangerous,

I have occasionally seen this for CO2, which I think has a higher threshold to be considered dangerous, but no other gases.

Offline legemaine (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 02:29:16 PM »
Thanks both, looks like I'm going to have to figure gas extraction into my terraforming - and prepare for the time that CC 0.7 jumps to 2!

Cheers

Legemaine

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 02:44:24 PM »
Super-duper technically, if you were really babysitting a terraforming project, you could optimise the time taken by not leaving the auto order interrupt to tell you a dangerous gas is gone, but wait until it goes below the danger %age, then switch orders to do something else. For most dangerous gasses, it'll only save you pretty small amounts of time though, unless you were terraforming a pretty big planet with not very many minimum tech terraformers, and you happened to have a couple of them being GHGs, on a world that needed warming (but not too much), so you could also add less SGG. Then you might actually save a couple of years. That is a preeeeetty rare case though, and a lot of micro for probably not much return

>> I have occasionally seen this for CO2, which I think has a higher threshold to be considered dangerous, but no other gases

Yes, 5000ppm, as opposed to 5ppm or 1ppm for a lot of the other dangerous gasses. For the 1ppm ones, you'd have to be advancing time at one construction cycle at a time

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 08:40:49 PM »
Thanks both, looks like I'm going to have to figure gas extraction into my terraforming - and prepare for the time that CC 0.7 jumps to 2!

Cheers

Legemaine

If IIRC and cl is chlorine its going to jump to 3 not 2 unlike other danger gasses cuz chlorine is extra spicy.