Author Topic: Shield strength from passive sensors  (Read 1378 times)

Offline legemaine (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
Shield strength from passive sensors
« on: March 09, 2022, 04:14:44 AM »
Hi all, I was unsure whether to create a new post or reply to a very old (10yrs) post that was relevant.

I have picked up a ship on passive EM sensors and the 'max observed shield strength' is 1500 for a 15kt ship. This seems incredible - the best I could achieve would be 13 for a 600t component, particular as upto this point I thought the ship was lower tech (significantly lower observed speed or sensor strength). However, I've seen an old post that mentions that shield EM signature is 30 times shield strength - ie 50. This is surprisingly high, but my shield tech is very basic, so I could believe it - and will have to plan for it. Can anyone enlighten me whether or not I should expect 1500 or 50?

BTW - its moments like this I love about this game - the sheer range of options that are available when you think about what your tactics might be - sowing sensor buoys, slowly gathering intel on unknown enemies, creating bulk containers to turn tugs in to cargo ships when not used elsewhere, etc

Thanks

Legemaine

Offline legemaine (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • l
Re: Shield strength from passive sensors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:11:15 AM »
Ah, on the main display it now says shield 50 (still says shield strength 1500 in the Alien Intel screen) - so I guess that confirms my thought

Regards

Legemaine

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Re: Shield strength from passive sensors
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 10:45:22 AM »
If I am not completely mistaken 1 point of shield strength causes 30 points of EM emissions. As passive sensors are looking for EM emissions, that might have gotten confused by Steve or by you.