Author Topic: NPR Generation Questions  (Read 4329 times)

Offline ChubbyPitbull (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
NPR Generation Questions
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:47:09 AM »
Just starting out in Aurora, and had some questions about "NPR" generation.

If you generate NPRs at the start, do they all start with the same tech points/population/power/etc? Is there a/what is the default level they start at?

I believe I read on the forums that any settings you make in a new game won't affect automatically generated NPRs (ie: if your empire is conventional, everyone else will still be Trans Newtonian). Is it possible to have several AI players start at the same level you are (conventional perhaps) using Designer mode?

I also read that any new NPRs that are "discovered" on the fly are generated based on the player's empire size and power. Does this mean that odds are no matter how big you are, any NPR you encounter will be more or less the same size/power as the player?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: NPR Generation Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
Pretty much, yeah.
With different tech allocation.
No idea about what you can actually change in Designermode.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
There is no logic code to enable an NPR start from Conventional.

Designer Mode is for Steve only, and he has stated before that he will not be providing this to other users. The NPR logic relies on a number of factors that are not shown to the user, so if you tried using Designer Mode then the chances are you could inadvertently change something for the worse.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Pretty much, yeah.
With different tech allocation.
No idea about what you can actually change in Designermode.
You can change the NPRs, precursors etc in Designer Mode. However, if you change anything using Designer Mode, Steve will not guarantee that the change won''t screw anything else up. Also, Steve will not bug fix DBs that have been screwed up through the use of Designer Mode.  Designer Mode is useful if you are nosey and would like to see why you have slowed to 5s automatic increments as 2 NPRs slug it out and that's about all it should be used for.
Welchbloke

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
Ah, righto, thank you. Maybe I got the modes wrong? What inspired me to play the game was binging through all of Steve's Trans-Newtonian game AAR, and I liked the idea of having several civilizations with the minimum tech just starting to enter space, even with the base Trans-Newtonian tech (for now each one having their own system, after I get more experience I'd try out the several-power-blocs-on-one-planet game). Is that doable in SM mode? Having to re-install Aurora due to changing something that hosed the DB seems like an acceptable penalty.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »
Three things:

1)  The multi-empire conventional start in Steve's campaign used player races, not NPR.  In other words, Steve role-played all the power blocs.
2)  SM mode is intended to let you "edit" empire setups.  Think "Space Master", as in "Dungeon Master" in D&D.
3)  The entire state of the game is in the DB.  So you don't need to do a reinstall to clean up - you just have to overwrite the DB with a "clean" one from the appropriate release.

John

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 08:23:40 AM »
Righto, thanks for the help everyone!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Quote from: "ChubbyPitbull"
I also read that any new NPRs that are "discovered" on the fly are generated based on the player's empire size and power. Does this mean that odds are no matter how big you are, any NPR you encounter will be more or less the same size/power as the player?
Its based on a bell curve with the average player race pop as the centre of the curve. This allows you to create games with very different starting sizes and still have challenging NPRs.

Steve

Offline Harrysboy

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 03:12:11 AM »
Playing a game where I had the setup to 40% generation from the player and 15% from other NPR's, 1 NPR on start and all other setting the default (min 25LY and 50Max).  So far I am 80 years into my game and the only Aliens I have met are precursors (4 of them so far).  Given I have 91 systems and 71 of them are surveyed its getting a little boring not having anyone to face.  This is the second game in a row where this has occurred and I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong.  I was expecting to come across other "Empires" to fight.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 06:00:32 AM »
Playing a game where I had the setup to 40% generation from the player and 15% from other NPR's, 1 NPR on start and all other setting the default (min 25LY and 50Max).  So far I am 80 years into my game and the only Aliens I have met are precursors (4 of them so far).  Given I have 91 systems and 71 of them are surveyed its getting a little boring not having anyone to face.  This is the second game in a row where this has occurred and I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong.  I was expecting to come across other "Empires" to fight.

I generally start with more NPRs. In my current game I have 5 NPRs. I'm ten years in and I have met four NPRs, precursors, the new raiders and a pre-industrial race. I have explored 128 systems though so I am exploring much faster than the above.

Generating a new NPR is actually a rare event, because the conditions required for a suitable world are needed before the generation chance is applied.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 11:50:23 AM »
The chance of discovery by NPRs is very uneven. I remember seeing several posts where people get discovered by an NPR within the first ~5 years of a campaign, even with higher than default starting distance.

For your game I would increase the player-NPR generation to 70-90%.
This is because of how rare suitable NPR planets are, if you find one then you want it to spawn an NPR, with a small failure chance to add some uncertainty (this is less necessary if, like me, you don't know the parameters within which NPRs can spawn).

I would also reduce the NPR-NPR generation to 0%, and turn off NPRs trigger spoilers.
This is to ensure that the starting NPR doesn't get tied up in a war, and can put as much effort as possible into exploring and eventually finding you.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 12:10:58 PM »
This is because of how rare suitable NPR planets are, if you find one then you want it to spawn an NPR, with a small failure chance to add some uncertainty (this is less necessary if, like me, you don't know the parameters within which NPRs can spawn).

The requirements for NPR generation are:
  • Surface Temp between -40C and 60C
  • Gravity between 0.3G and 2.5G
  • Hydro Extent of 5% or greater
  • No Dangerous Gases
  • Oxygen between 0.05 atm and 0.5 atm and no more than 30% of total atmosphere
  • Orbital Distance less than 80 AU of primary - or equivalent if LG available

The following users thanked this post: Migi

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »

The requirements for NPR generation are:
  • Surface Temp between -40C and 60C
  • Gravity between 0.3G and 2.5G
  • Hydro Extent of 5% or greater
  • No Dangerous Gases
  • Oxygen between 0.05 atm and 0.5 atm and no more than 30% of total atmosphere
  • Orbital Distance less than 80 AU of primary - or equivalent if LG available

Wait so what happens when an NPR homeworld has between 5%-20% hydro as under this it could be "suitable" for NPR generation.
Wouldn't their homeworld have a colonization cost as all races in this game need 20% hydro?

Also "No Dangerous Gases" doesn't seem to be properly enforced as I have seen chlorine gas appear on NPR homeworlds that I've had to SM away.

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 11:54:58 AM »
I suppose this is more of a suggestion, but I think it's too bad that aliens can't be generated with tolerances that humans can't …um… tolerate.
Who's to say that the multi-headed squid thing from Rigel II doesn't like to wake up to a whiff of chorine in their atmosphere? Or that the rock-beasts of Epsilon don't prefer the heady scent of hydrogen sulphide?

It'd make taking over their planets a bit of a headache, but that's part of the fun!

Offline Sebmono

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 05:08:40 PM »
Given that ruin generation prevents NPR generation on a habitable planet, which roll is made first? If I set both generation settings at 100%, will NPRs never generate and only ruins or the other way around?