Author Topic: Post Combat issues  (Read 1492 times)

Offline James McGuire (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Post Combat issues
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:34:51 AM »
Whilst successfully completing my first major engagement against 60-70 Obliterator Meson armed ships in Alpha Centaurai I ran into a few issues that caused me problems during combat.

First was that once I readied my guns to fire and assigned targets the game would pause every 5 seconds to let me know that they were out of range. This would be fine except for the fact that the enemy was still 2 million kilometers outside my engagement envelope.

So that I could finish the battle within my own lifetime I canceled all fire orders and shifted time forwards. Unfortunately I misjudged the time skip and the enemy fleet was within range already firing completely canceling the significant range advantage that I had, not to mention that it was then another 15 seconds before my weapons charged up. This resulted in significantly more damage to my fleet than would otherwise have occurred.

Question: Is there anyway whilst in combat to skip the 'weapons out of range' message every 5 seconds? This would mean that the instant I detect enemies I can lock on and stay locked on without having to worry about the engagement taking a lifetime to finish.

Secondly During the engagement I had to manually adjust every fire order for every ship. This was annoying since the enemy was dropping like flies and it became difficult to keep track of who had destroyed who and had to shift targets.

Question: Is there some way to set up a taskgroup so it automatically prioritises and fires on targets? Preferably individual targets rather than over killing a single target?
answered  :)

Other that these problems it was awesome and extremely satisfying to watch the enemy fleet be annihilated.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:15:30 AM by James McGuire »

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Post Combat issues
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:15 AM »
while hardly an expert on combat, the battle control window (F8) has a autofire tick box, and there is a clickable button for autofire for the selected task group. So its likely you can set up conditions for fire control to auto aquire targets. Although you may just run into the same 5 sec increment annoyance again I'm not sure. Have a look and test it out for us both :)

Offline James McGuire (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »
Can't seem to find the autofire button, must have been added in post 4.9, which due to installation issues is the version I am currently using.

But at least that is one question dealt with thank you :) !

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »
Can't seem to find the autofire button, must have been added in post 4.9, which due to installation issues is the version I am currently using.

But at least that is one question dealt with thank you :) !

In 4.9 you should have an "automated fire" and "sychronous fire" check box's in the upper right of the F8 combat assignments screen.  

-- correction--  that was added for v5.0
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:57:31 AM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »
Unfortunately I misjudged the time skip and the enemy fleet was within range already firing completely canceling the significant range advantage that I had, not to mention that it was then another 15 seconds before my weapons charged up. This resulted in significantly more damage to my fleet than would otherwise have occurred.

In situations like these, I tend to save early and often, so that if Aurora does something annoying I can recover from it with a backsave.  There's a thread in FAQ with instructions on how to set up a save system, for those of you who don't know how....

John

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 12:21:06 AM »
Quote from: James McGuire link=topic=3059. msg29877#msg29877 date=1289295291
Question: Is there anyway whilst in combat to skip the 'weapons out of range' message every 5 seconds? This would mean that the instant I detect enemies I can lock on and stay locked on without having to worry about the engagement taking a lifetime to finish.

Go to the Events pop up and hit the button "filter events".  Should be at the bottom.  Find the "Weapons out of range" entry (you need to just keep pressing the dutton arrow till you reach it) and then click it until it goes red.  That should work.  Haven't tested it myself, but I've done the same thing to stop all the neutral contact events I used to get that slowed up my game.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:26:04 AM »
That is strange girlpower , as in my game all that does is filter out the event message not the time delay associated with it, which is the biggest issue.

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:39:28 AM »
Really? : / Well, I can't think of anything else.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »
That is strange girlpower , as in my game all that does is filter out the event message not the time delay associated with it, which is the biggest issue.

IIRC, there is no way (at this time) to change the set of events which cause interrupts.

John