Author Topic: Planets Extremely Close to Stars  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Vexalor (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
Planets Extremely Close to Stars
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
I was curious about what mechanics govern system orbital distances generation in Aurora after, in my current game, I encountered a number of red dwarf stars with their first planets so close that I at first thought the system generation somehow skipped the Roman numeral "I" when it named the planets. 

When a planet orbits within less than 500k km of its star it just looks a bit odd on the system map.    Is this sort of thing common?

I attempted to attach a screenshot of one of these instances I found that looks particularly amusing (a Super Jovian is almost literally touching the surface of its star), but I can't figure out how to do so. 

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Planets Extremely Close to Stars
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
You need to make at least 5 posts before you get image posting rights.

I've seen a few such cases, but I just chalk it up to "wow what an interesting planet" and move on.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
You need to make at least 5 posts before you get image posting rights.

I've seen a few such cases, but I just chalk it up to "wow what an interesting planet" and move on.

10 actually. And it just munges the url. You should be able to make it an attachment under Additional Options

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
What's even better is when a jovian or super jovian orbits extremely close to the star it almost touches and the moons of said planet have orbits that pass through and even encompass the star.

Offline Vexalor (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
Quote from: xeryon link=topic=7593. msg76923#msg76923 date=1416237814
What's even better is when a jovian or super jovian orbits extremely close to the star it almost touches and the moons of said planet have orbits that pass through and even encompass the star.

I've never seen that before, but I found one Super Jovian practically rolling across its star's surface with an enormous number of asteroids on the same orbit with it.