Author Topic: v2.2.1 Bugs Thread  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
Re: v2.2.1 Bugs Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2023, 06:32:04 AM »
Hi Steve, I am asking just to understand the deadlines as I am playing a little bit as everyone else but not playing any major campaign.

Are you going to release the 2.2.2 soon (today or in the weekend for example) or will it be a long term update (months) and will it contain the fixes that require the database update?

Thank you
Dani

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
Hi Steve, I am asking just to understand the deadlines as I am playing a little bit as everyone else but not playing any major campaign.

Are you going to release the 2.2.2 soon (today or in the weekend for example) or will it be a long term update (months) and will it contain the fixes that require the database update?

Thank you
Dani

There will be a new release this week. If there are any other DB bugs, it will be a database release. Otherwise, I might release both v2.3 and v2.2.2. so that people can choose whether having Ark modules is worth breaking existing saves.

Offline Uran

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2023, 02:07:16 PM »
Should the ground forces window update itself after next time increment?

I had the Ground Force window opened to monitor the replacement process.  I done 1 day increments 12 times and saw now changes in my formations.  Once I closed the Ground Force window and open it again.  I noticed than replacement took its place already. 

I do not see any events in the log about replacement take place.  Is it ok?

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2023, 02:11:43 PM »
Bit of an issue with 2.2.1:

GU Copy + Upgrade creates multiple copies of identical items. I have a company HQ that I use in all my company sized formations. Using the copy + upgrade button on each company sized formation created 7 copies of that HQ, all identical.

Perhaps there could be a check to see if something with that exact design already exists? If so, don't duplicate?

EDIT:
To complicate matters further, it creates a new series for each item it duplicates, regardless of the fact that I already had series for each GU.

SJW: Fixed for v.2.2.2

This can also break organisation tab construction of GU forces and their assignment to the correct formation. Also with the copy + upgrade, when you build the new formation, numbering is starting from 1 again :(

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2023, 03:40:44 PM »
I seem to have come across a bug where I have multiple contact IDs for the same alien ships (i.e., ClassName 001, ClassName 002, etc. representing the same ship). I'm not sure what causes this, it may be the same ship detected in different systems or may be caused by the "Renumber Ships" button. Since this is related to NPRs it is proving difficult to study.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2023, 05:31:10 PM »
Should the ground forces window update itself after next time increment?

I had the Ground Force window opened to monitor the replacement process.  I done 1 day increments 12 times and saw now changes in my formations.  Once I closed the Ground Force window and open it again.  I noticed than replacement took its place already. 

I do not see any events in the log about replacement take place.  Is it ok?

Not everything refreshes, as refreshing everything on every open window would slow turns down considerably.

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2023, 07:58:07 PM »
I put together an armored division organization and ordered the construction of three of them on Earth. As the formations are being constructed they are being put under the order of battle of an infantry corps I had previously constructed (except the divisions command formations, since I did not create a corps organization, just a division organization.) Screenshots attached. I think this happened because I use the same regiment, brigade, division, corps command formations and just rename them appropriately after construction depending on the subordinate combat battalions.

EDIT: Actually now I'm not certain why this is happening because battalions and artillery sections are now also getting assigned underneath my artillery sections, which shouldn't normally be possible (when I try manually click dragging an armored battalion under an artillery section, it says that's not possible.) I would attach another screenshot showing this but I think if I do it overwrites the pics already attached.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:21:09 PM by Coleslaw »

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2023, 01:49:55 AM »
First chance to play with 2.2.1, decided to test out the new "Create Habitable" feature.
After generating a number of systems, I'd say 10 or so, I clicked "Create Habitable" as usual and received the following error:

2.2.1 Function #2939: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This error message disappeared after clicking "Ok", but resulted in Aurora freezing, requiring me to force close it.

This occurred without any modifications or alterations to anything, using a newly created, non-real stars game. Just activated SM and started clicking "Create Habitable".

I then attempted to replicate the issue. Upon relaunching Aurora, it recurred on the second habitable system created, with the same symptoms as before. Replication is simple: launch the game, start a new game with Known Stars turned OFF, turn on SM, start clicking the appropriate button until it happens.

EDIT 1: To reflect the fact that this issue happened in a newly created, non-real stars game.
EDIT 2: I just had the same error (Function #2939) occur when attempting to create a new game on a freshly unzipped, clean 2.2.0 database. The only setting altered was to deselect "Known Stars"
EDIT 3: It also occurs when turning on SM and clicking "Create System". Not every time a system is created, but eventually. I suspect this is related to the similar bug that was discovered in the previously released version involving non-Known Stars game and system creation, it's just too similar.

SJW: Fixed for v2.2.2
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 04:17:56 AM by Steve Walmsley »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2023, 03:41:47 AM »
First chance to play with 2.2.1, decided to test out the new "Create Habitable" feature.
After generating a number of systems, I'd say 10 or so, I clicked "Create Habitable" as usual and received the following error:

2.2.1 Function #2939: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This error message disappeared after clicking "Ok", but resulted in Aurora freezing, requiring me to force close it.

This occurred without any modifications or alterations to anything, using a newly created, non-real stars game. Just activated SM and started clicking "Create Habitable".

I then attempted to replicate the issue. Upon relaunching Aurora, it recurred on the second habitable system created, with the same symptoms as before. Replication is simple: launch the game, start a new game with Known Stars turned OFF, turn on SM, start clicking the appropriate button until it happens.

EDIT 1: To reflect the fact that this issue happened in a newly created, non-real stars game.
EDIT 2: I just had the same error (Function #2939) occur when attempting to create a new game on a freshly unzipped, clean 2.2.0 database. The only setting altered was to deselect "Known Stars"
EDIT 3: It also occurs when turning on SM and clicking "Create System". Not every time a system is created, but eventually. I suspect this is related to the similar bug that was discovered in the previously released version involving non-Known Stars game and system creation, it's just too similar.

#2939 is a small function for calculating the orbits of companion stars. This function runs fairly often, so looks like an intermittent bug. The only objects referenced are the Star Type and the Parent Star, so perhaps the function is running when the latter doesn't exist - maybe for the primary. I'll add a check for that.

BTW I've just generated about 50 systems in a random stars game without the bug appearing, so it does seem fairly rare. Hard to fix though unless I can reproduce it. I'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 03:51:31 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2023, 03:56:06 AM »
#2939 is a small function for calculating the orbits of companion stars. This function runs fairly often, so looks like an intermittent bug. The only objects referenced are the Star Type and the Parent Star, so perhaps the function is running when the latter doesn't exist - maybe for the primary. I'll add a check for that.

BTW I've just generated about 50 systems in a random stars game without the bug appearing, so it does seem fairly rare. Hard to fix though unless I can reproduce it. I'll keep trying.
Thank you for investigating!

I just created 90 systems without issue, using the "Create System" button, so I'd agree it's relatively rare.

It seems decidedly less rare when using "Create Habitable", occurring within an average of 4-5 created systems, up to a maximum in my testing of 12 - I assume this is due to a large number of systems being created and discarded behind the scenes to find viable habitable targets.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2023, 03:58:39 AM »

Thank you for investigating!

I just created 90 systems without issue, using the "Create System" button, so I'd agree it's relatively rare.

It seems decidedly less rare when using "Create Habitable", occurring in an average of 4-5 created systems, up to a maximum in my testing of 12 - I assume this is due to a large number of systems being created and discarded behind the scenes to find viable habitable targets.

Triggered it once. It seems to be caused by the third component of a star system not having a parent star, although struggling to figure out why. I am going to try to trigger it again, but with a breakpoint earlier in the code so I can check parent star assignment.

The following users thanked this post: Ragnarsson

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2023, 04:17:04 AM »
Fixed now. There was a combination of circumstances where a third star was generated but the parent was not recorded, resulting in a bug when the subsequent orbit calculation could not find anything to orbit around.

I just ran a long sequence of Generate Habitable with no problems.