Author Topic: Medal Awards  (Read 19077 times)

Offline Happerry

• Leading Rate
Re: Medal Awards
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 12:51:26 AM »
I don't think anyone has suggested a 'First Contact' condition yet, for Medals given to those who first make contact with a (new) alien race.  Potentially with separate versions for space faring, not space faring, and by the goddess what are those (unknown menace) first contacts.

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »
I don't think anyone has suggested a 'First Contact' condition yet, for Medals given to those who first make contact with a (new) alien race.  Potentially with separate versions for space faring, not space faring, and by the goddess what are those (unknown menace) first contacts.

This sounds easy, but is actually not straightforward due to the way the code is setup. The function that identifies the contact is a new race is several levels down in the code from the detection function and the original detecting object (ship, missile, pop, etc.) isn't carried down through the code. I'll see what I can do.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »
Here is a screenshot of the medal ribbons available so far. These are all US-based medals, although some are awarded by other nations to US personnel, and the names are the original ones. I found a site with clean graphics of the ribbons, with every one the same size, rather than a photo of a cloth ribbon or the more common graphics that have horizontal lines across. Now i need to find something similar for other nations, or do some modifications to the image files as I did with the only non-US medal ribbon - the VC.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, TMaekler

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
Here is the Commander window with the new Ribbon format. There is space for 44 ribbons in total on an 11 x 4 grid. I've also added a button to hide the medals space to provide more room for the search function if required. Medals are displayed in descending order of medal promotion score

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, Doren, JacenHan

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
Below is the current list of measurements that are being tracked for automatic medal assignment. A medal condition includes both the measurement and the amount (which could be 1), so you can create different medals for different amounts of the same measurement.

Measurements are best suited to tracking instant events, such as destroying a ship or completing a survey. More extensive events, such as successfully defending a planet over potentially months of game time or taking part in a major fleet engagement over several days, are not straightforward to track with measurements. These type of major events, covering large areas of space or lengths of time, should be covered by the mass award of campaign medals.

Hostile Ships Destroyed
Military Shipping Destroyed in Tons
Commercial Shipping Destroyed in Tons
Successful Boarding Combat
Hostile Missiles Destroyed
Armour Damage Taken
Internal Damage Taken
Ground Forces Destroyed in Tons
Combat Drop - Transport
Combat Drop - Formation
Ship Destruction Survived
Star Systems Explored
Habitable Worlds Discovered
Ruins Discovered
Installations Recovered
Bodies With Minerals Discovered
Jump Points Discovered
Research Points Generated
Research Projects Completed
Length Of Service in Years

I'll continue to add to the list over time.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »
I think the combination of auto-awarding simple things - such that player might easily forget - combined with the ability to mass-award manual medals - for campaigns and such - will be sufficient for most purposes.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
Successfully completing a ground combat campaign at least can be easily defined.  'No more enemy ground forces on the body.' I think you do the same thing with Successful Boarding Combat.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the attacker/defender who got defeated but has ships in orbit might then level the planet in a tantrum, but eh. That sometimes happens.

Offline Willberty

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »
Haven't seen this suggestion yet (but I may have missed it)
 - Medal awarded after n science points researched
Would be nice that your scientists get more medals as they research more and more techs.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
Haven't seen this suggestion yet (but I may have missed it)
 - Medal awarded after n science points researched
Would be nice that your scientists get more medals as they research more and more techs.

Yes, it is in the list above as Research Points.

Offline bugkill

• Leading Rate
  • b
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 03:54:37 PM »
Great work so far on the medals and ribbons.    What I did for Aurora was provide qualified pilots with real life obsolete pilot wings and called them "Naval Space Aviation Badge".    I also took the Commando tab and another obsolete badge which I named "Assault Operations Badge" and gave it to qualified officers of the ground forces.    I think giving skill badges would be cool as well.    Check attachments for examples.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:59:35 PM by bugkill »

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »
Great work so far on the medals and ribbons.   What I did for Aurora was provide qualified pilots with real life obsolete pilot wings and called them "Naval Space Aviation Badge".   I also took the Commando tab and another obsolete badge which I named "Assault Operations Badge" and gave it to qualified officers of the ground forces.   I think giving skill badges would be cool as well.   They look like this:

If anyone wants to supply ribbon images or badges I am happy to include them. They should be 100x30 pixels. All the current ones are PNG format.

Offline bugkill

• Leading Rate
  • b
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10435. msg115111#msg115111 date=1561496212
Quote from: bugkill link=topic=10435. msg115110#msg115110 date=1561496077
Great work so far on the medals and ribbons.    What I did for Aurora was provide qualified pilots with real life obsolete pilot wings and called them "Naval Space Aviation Badge".    I also took the Commando tab and another obsolete badge which I named "Assault Operations Badge" and gave it to qualified officers of the ground forces.    I think giving skill badges would be cool as well.    They look like this:

If anyone wants to supply ribbon images or badges I am happy to include them.  They should be 100x30 pixels.  All the current ones are PNG format.

What's the best way to get them to you? PM doesn't offer attachments.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
So-o-o. . .  Does someone other than Steve want to whip up a quick program for turning the flags from Aurora's Flags folder into properly-sized award ribbons?  A simple stretch-and-squish might work for something like the French tricolour, but the Scottish saltire may turn jagged, and the Canadian maple leaf would be distorted.

It would at least be a start, giving us many to work with, and the harder ones (Brazil, for example) could be left to be done by hand.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2019, 03:24:35 AM »
So far I have the 300-ish US medals ribbons from the post earlier and I have since added about a dozen from the UK.

Offline Kelewan

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2019, 05:49:40 AM »
How are medals for non commanding officers handled?

I would like an option to award special medals to to them for tasks related to their station,
e.g. to the Science Officer for survey or tactical for killing enemy missiles and ships

At the moment it is just the ship commander. I am open to suggestions about how other officers should benefit. A couple of options:

Option 1) It would be possible to have officer-type-specific conditions, such as Science Officer on Ship that Discovers 10 jump Points, or Tactical Officer on Ship that Destroys 100,000 tons of Shipping, etc.

Option 2) Junior officers receive a partial benefit for each measurement, based on the type of measurement (so Tactical Officer receives half credit for destroyed tonnage or Science Officer gets half credit for survey achievement, etc.).

Other suggestions welcome.

The first option is more flexible as the second. But you have already designed the system to create multiple conditions with different values, why not also add an selection for officer type.