Author Topic: Starport Class Orbital Habitat  (Read 1916 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Starport Class Orbital Habitat
« on: May 12, 2021, 05:56:20 AM »
Starport Orbital Habitat:
Code: [Select]
Starport Class Orbital Habitat      2,605,993 tons       1,160 Crew       3,449.3 BP       TCS 52,120    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 185      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 0    Max Repair 2000 MSP
Habitation Capacity 1,000,000   
Starpilot    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Recreational Facilities

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes
This design is classed as a Recreational Ship for auto-assignment purpose

--- Designed as a fluff station, this one here represents a cut down version of the one I use. My version is pretty useless for anything outside RP, and is highly inefficient. This one here is presented for the sake of one use case: Spaceport Outposts. Namely, a Spaceport plopped down on a planet, using this class of Orbital Habitat to staff it. I like to put these down as forward R&R outposts on airless hell holes that cannot support enough pop to give shore leave. Typically I'll put down a little infrastructure as well, so it builds up over time and possibly contribute some trade. I'll often place down ordinance and / or fuel at these outposts in times of war, converting them into makeshift FOBs or staging points. Very much a bitch to tug... :(

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: Starport Class Orbital Habitat
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »
I like it.
It is a rather expensive solution, but suitable if a forward base cannot be established in the desired area by ordinary means.

Useful in a system with absolutely no decent hab options.

Also useful perhaps as a central port, orbiting a planet that is snuggled up close to its sun, practically boiling in space.
Even if cheaper hab options are available in the system, maybe the logistical advantage gained by a central port justifies the extra cost of doing it this way.

At this size and cost, I'd be adding bells and whistles for trivial cost and weight--as a final step when designing very large ships or stations, I look at what useful bits I can add for no more than ~1% of the cost and weight of the functional design.
For this behemoth, I'd have 26kt and 34BP to play with.
Obviously the BP is the limiting factor in this case. It would be hard (impossible?) to add 26kt of useful things before spending 34BP.

A refuelling system costs 10.
Another 10 gets you 500kL fuel storage.
And a couple basic 50t scanners perhaps?  A thermal costs 5, an active costs 10.

Slap all that on there, and you now have an emergency fuel supply (should something happen to your more significant fuel logistics) and a tiny bit of additional situational awareness.
The tiny extra expense is justifiable, to me, as risk-mitigation. But it's also fun for RP purposes...adds a little verisimilitude to these big beasts.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »
I think it would be great if you could get more than one tug to tractor something. So you could just get three or four smaller tugs to move that rather than building a truely huge tug specially for that.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:49:16 PM »
I think it would be great if you could get more than one tug to tractor something. So you could just get three or four smaller tugs to move that rather than building a truely huge tug specially for that.

Likewise it would be great to have each tractor beam on a ship tractor one ship so conversely you can make the one tug to tug them all.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
You could cut the rec module; it already supports enough pop to count as a recreation location.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »
You could cut the rec module; it already supports enough pop to count as a recreation location.

Yes but that assumes that you have transported all 1M pop to the location. The rec module makes sure that you don't have to wait for the population. That in no way invalidates your point though, as once the population is there, the rec module becomes redundant.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »

Yes but that assumes that you have transported all 1M pop to the location. The rec module makes sure that you don't have to wait for the population. That in no way invalidates your point though, as once the population is there, the rec module becomes redundant.

A population only needs 10k pop to count as a rec location. So, the rec module becomes redundant well before the entire 1M pop arrives.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »

A population only needs 10k pop to count as a rec location. So, the rec module becomes redundant well before the entire 1M pop arrives.

I swear I read this somewhere on the C# changelogs that it was 1M for colony rec locations. I think your citing a VB6 thing.

Edit - Nevermind we're both wrong (from the C# changelogs):
A recreational location is any ship with a recreational module or any population of at least 50,000 people.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:44:21 AM by Droll »

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus