Author Topic: Trade Update and the reasons why I need it  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Trade Update and the reasons why I need it
« on: May 12, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »
Hi,

I know it has probably highlighted and discussed other times but I am recollecting all in this thread.

I would like the opportunity to reintroduce the ability for Races to receive foreign aid. While in VB6 this was limited to wealth, would be great to extend it on the following:

wealth
minerals
fuel
maintenance supplies
techs
components in the stockpile

The reason is that while it is great to have some games against the AI, I still find that the best time I have playing the game is when I decide to take control and RP the whole situation. For instance, in my latest game, I am controlling 4 races in the same system on different planets. RNG God gave a race an insane amount of Sorium and the only other important source would be from only 1 gas giant. Enough said that with all races starting conventional and 25% research speed, fuel is indeed a very important commodity as the prospective of jumping out of the system are far far away. There are obviously other small mechanics that I faced on other games and that could have increased the number of options and generally fun without necessarily tampering with the DB (which is always a gamble anyway).

In my mind, Player controlled races could be more "alive" if allowed to trade more important items rather than goods. With SM you can force the max relationship pretty much controlling the whole diplomacy, making possible trading embargos, small cold wars, etc. The same amount of freedom would be a huge tool. In this meaning, the possibility of trading ships again in 1.14 is extremely welcome.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Re: Trade Update and the reasons why I need it
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »
Trading wealth, fuel, minerals and maintenance supplies via the DB is fairly easy if you share the same planet. The other things are more complex, so a UI based option would be pretty cool.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 11:02:16 PM »
While this is listed as a trade update, I would also appreciate such an update as a means of easily managing reparations in a multi-player race game. Coupled with the ship transfer functionality upcoming in 1.14, IIRC, this would be a good way to emulate complex peace treaties between player races. The NPRs of course remain only suitable for wars of extermination but that is what it is.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, StarshipCactus

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:07:22 AM »
unfortunately we have ourselves somewhat to blame, considering diplomacy was being developed as the last thing before C# release and it was somewhat rushed according to steve to meet the release date that came, and since then it hasnt seen any further developments, I would love to see more from it personally but from what I saw of the changelogs and steves own words its one of the harder parts of the game to develop right.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
...but from what I saw of the changelogs and steves own words its one of the harder parts of the game to develop right.

That makes sense as diplomacy is really strongly linked with how the AI works, which is always a pain to get right. It also explains why the AI is "behind" in so many ways as there are many features that they wont use.

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 05:13:02 PM »
...but from what I saw of the changelogs and steves own words its one of the harder parts of the game to develop right.

That makes sense as diplomacy is really strongly linked with how the AI works, which is always a pain to get right. It also explains why the AI is "behind" in so many ways as there are many features that they wont use.

While I would generally agree with the status of the AI, the trade options and diplomacy between player races don't require any logic and besides strings of code to handle the transfers, all is needed is a UI.

Eventually, I don't think that allow AIs to access such tools is a good idea anyway and I actually believe that provided with these tools one could close an eye on the current AI flaws and keep playing with more options at his/her disposal.

While this is listed as a trade update, I would also appreciate such an update as a means of easily managing reparations in a multi-player race game. Coupled with the ship transfer functionality upcoming in 1.14, IIRC, this would be a good way to emulate complex peace treaties between player races. The NPRs of course remain only suitable for wars of extermination but that is what it is.

Yes, that was my point as well. Do not have the opportunity to handle these things is a bit of a pain especially when you go the extra length to create and make your race alive. A race that has superior Lasers could trade for Better missiles without the need to actually research all the techs but will be limited to that one only supply. A trade-based empire could seize all fuel sources with the goal not to exterminate all other races but to force them to trade.

Trading wealth, fuel, minerals and maintenance supplies via the DB is fairly easy if you share the same planet. The other things are more complex, so a UI based option would be pretty cool.

I am aware these things are still possible with the DB edit, it's just an enormous pain.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:15:39 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 06:11:14 PM »
I am aware these things are still possible with the DB edit, it's just an enormous pain.

As a wise man once said:
Pain is weakness leaving the body!

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
I like this idea. I play with invader on and is had, I was thinking about making a game were a control multiple race and the work together for there survival. One of the point in that game was to have one race specialize in one thing, one of the being industry. This would help, that race would be able to trade supply and mineral for there protection.