Author Topic: Aurora Comics and Memes  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Aurora Comics and Memes
« on: October 13, 2021, 12:57:08 PM »
Hello,
so a long time ago, 6 or 7 years I guess, I once uploaded an Aurora themed comic in a meme thread here to joke a bit about classical Aurora beginner mistakes. Since I have finally come around to test out the new C# version in recent times, I thought it would be nice to celebrate the advances by continuing the comic like it was promised there yet long not delivered.

First I should upload the old one again:
Off-Topic: show

Now the continuation:

(yes, that is indeed the correct damage number here ;) . I used them once to simulate Wh40k Nova cannons because of this)
Feel free to use the thread for whatever jokester purposes after this.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Aurora Comics and Memes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
Hahaha...
So, let me get this straight - Spoilers invaders, I assume? got to the Sol system, and started wreaking havoc (A terraforming base near Jupiter... So, the Not-the-player tried to terraform Jupiter?)
Not-the-player responded by sending his/her 62.000 ton size... whatever type ship, to fight them off.
Had several size 3 missile launchers, but no missiles... No magazines either.
Engineering screen makes me think that Not-the-player forgot to add enough MSP storages and/or engineering stations.
CIWS prolonged the ship's existance...
The ship flew a bit back and forth...
Finally, that spinal mount with a huge damage... It backfired somehow? I guess it exploded due to lack of MSP.
And of course, captain survived because 'story character' checkbox.

So... did I miss anything?

The following users thanked this post: Ektor

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 02:59:14 PM »
So, let me get this straight - Spoilers got to the Sol system, and started wreaking havoc (A terraforming base near Jupiter... So, the Not-the-player tried to terraform Jupiter?)
No, not really, I basically adapted the plot of the famous series Battleship Yamato to fit Aurora rules. It goes more like this:
- The Sol invaders (called Gamilas) are just an NPR, albeit much more advanced thanks to living near another alien race who achieved TL12.
- The terraforming base is an orbital (...a huge/continental one), and just like in the series, it is parked there in preparation to terraform Earth for the Gamilas, which btw. is already a dead wasteland from bombardment at the start of the show.
- Not-the-player is just a thin alias that the player uses in hopes of disguising his beginner mistakes to the dismayed captain. ;D
- 62kt is the accurate size of the Yamato Battleship
Had several size 3 missile launchers, but no missiles... No magazines either.
No powerplant and badly tuned Beam-FCs as well. ...Until the C# refactor that is.
Finally, that spinal mount with a huge damage... It backfired somehow?
No, it worked. ..I feel like explaining jokes. Advanced lasers in Aurora are deceptive, because when you get them, their first 2 tech levels list 0 damage. However, it picks up quickly after this, especially when their caliber is enhanced by the spinal weapon multiplier, leading to the most surprisingly devastating weapon in the game.

So the Aurora Battleship, after all these design issues, this cavalcade of weapon failures, -a lot of 0 damage guns if you will-, it was the actual 0 damage gun that instead did the literal opposite, -doing the highest damage possible- and oblierating not only the target ship but also the whole base behind it.
The captain feels like upside down world after the ordeal. Who can blame him?

(btw. I find Hawking Radiation to be superb explanation for what makes the laser-light production so "advanced" here. Of course to get some usable micro black-holes, you'd need a larger gun to even get the motor started, but once it starts...)

I highly recommend the series to Aurora fans, because the tech feels much like Aurora in most regards. The ship designs shown there (except for Yamato itself - too water naval) are often candidate for what I imagine my ships look like. You can find it on 9anime.to under the name "Star Blazers: Battleship Yamato 2199" currently.

Edit: reordering for clarity
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:48:18 PM by Vandermeer »

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42, Blogaugis

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 06:02:52 PM »
*base gone noises

;D ;D ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 06:45:35 PM »
More!  ;D

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 07:47:06 PM »
"One could think they can't C#"

OK that is a good line  ;D

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 01:47:46 AM »
More!  ;D
I would but it is too much work.
Perhaps other shorts, hmm

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »
Ah. Thanks for all the explanations.

No powerplant and badly tuned Beam-FCs as well. ...Until the C# refactor that is.
Actually, I remember there was a missile fire control component in Aurora VB6 - it was called ICBM launch control, or something like that, and had a... very limited range.
No TN mineral costs though.
No, it worked. ..I feel like explaining jokes. Advanced lasers in Aurora are deceptive, because when you get them, their first 2 tech levels list 0 damage. However, it picks up quickly after this, especially when their caliber is enhanced by the spinal weapon multiplier, leading to the most surprisingly devastating weapon in the game.

So the Aurora Battleship, after all these design issues, this cavalcade of weapon failures, -a lot of 0 damage guns if you will-, it was the actual 0 damage gun that instead did the literal opposite, -doing the highest damage possible- and oblierating not only the target ship but also the whole base behind it.
The captain feels like upside down world after the ordeal. Who can blame him?

(btw. I find Hawking Radiation to be superb explanation for what makes the laser-light production so "advanced" here. Of course to get some usable micro black-holes, you'd need a larger gun to even get the motor started, but once it starts...)

I highly recommend the series to Aurora fans, because the tech feels much like Aurora in most regards. The ship designs shown there (except for Yamato itself - too water naval) are often candidate for what I imagine my ships look like. You can find it on 9anime.to under the name "Star Blazers: Battleship Yamato 2199" currently.

Edit: reordering for clarity
But, if this event turned the captain's view all 180 degrees...
Why is he insulting everyone? Shouldn't he be more like...
I have no idea how we did this, but it somehow worked. We destroyed them all.

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 03:13:49 PM »
Ok, you all have to admit, at some point in your Aurora career you have MADE these mistakes;

1) Ship armed to the teeth with railguns/lasers/mesons/microwaves and a 63m k/m scan range..... and no beam fire control....
2) Ship armed up with the teeth with missiles and no magazine/no fire control.
3) Beam armed ship with no power plants....
4) Latest and greatest ion engine missile armed ship.... with 1st gen nuclear missiles cause you forgot to change the loadout....
5) Your latest and greatest Star Destroyer gets turned into a very expensive target drone cause the one missile that got through does shock damage and clobbers the SINGLE fire control system.... :)
6) Your zippy super fast frigate for system patrols launches, and the crew has to stare out the portholes to find anything, cause you forgot the sensors....

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, Vasious, Warer, Gabrote42

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 09:11:53 AM »
But, if this event turned the captain's view all 180 degrees...
Why is he insulting everyone? Shouldn't he be more like...
I have no idea how we did this, but it somehow worked. We destroyed them all.
Well, the human psyche offers a range of possibilities to every situation. Some may find it in themselves to be calm like a Buddha even when mosquitos bite while someone shakes their shoulder and demands attention every 2 minutes, interrupting every attempt to concentrate. On the other side I know a vile choleric women who starts cursing and hitting doors and chairs, her eyes searching the surrounding for someone to scapegoat when she herself was responsible for stubbing her toe on them.
You may not feel it too believable, and of course he could have just been relieved if he were the type. I think though it is well within reasonable personality ranges to be upset like this when your whole training let to such a disaster deployment, and it only being saved by the most irrational option.

6) Your zippy super fast frigate for system patrols launches, and the crew has to stare out the portholes to find anything, cause you forgot the sensors....
;D I remember back in my very first game, I refused to watch any tutorials or seek online help, because I wanted to experience this newfound gem-game raw. ...So I did. Upon finding there were both active and passive sensors, I was like "wait, so active sensors mean they can see me too? Hell no!, I am going all passive!"
Long story short, 60kt battlecruiser in first system Alpha Centauri encountered aliens, was useless, aliens flew over to Sol, and bombardment caused an endless stream of bug messages, ending in total defeat. (..or maybe it was a Starship Trooper bug invasion?)

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 01:27:21 PM »
Ok, you all have to admit, at some point in your Aurora career you have MADE these mistakes;

1) Ship armed to the teeth with railguns/lasers/mesons/microwaves and a 63m k/m scan range..... and no beam fire control....
2) Ship armed up with the teeth with missiles and no magazine/no fire control.
3) Beam armed ship with no power plants....
4) Latest and greatest ion engine missile armed ship.... with 1st gen nuclear missiles cause you forgot to change the loadout....
5) Your latest and greatest Star Destroyer gets turned into a very expensive target drone cause the one missile that got through does shock damage and clobbers the SINGLE fire control system.... :)
7) Forgot to add more fuel, so you get to Mars and can't get any further or back home.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
This may be old news around here, and you may even know more than me about this, but have you realized there are Aurora 4x fans spread in all fields of natural science enthusiasts?;D:

Article here

The following users thanked this post: serger, Warer, Gabrote42, Sebmono

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 07:45:25 AM »
A comic from badspacecomics.com called "The Suit":

(not really an Aurora comic, but might hit some related nerve for some.
Also horror warning)

//edit: added the horror warning
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:18:14 PM by Vandermeer »

The following users thanked this post: Black, Warer

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 01:47:17 PM »
A comic from badspacecomics.com called "The Suit":

(not really an Aurora comic, but might hit some related nerve for some)

I guess this deserves... Horror warning.

Heh, so, do You folks think that these kind of suits are what the army have, since they are immune to radiation?

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 06:00:08 AM »
This is apparently an old video that I never knew existed until today. Not really Aurora, but definitely for all Aurora players clicking through 5-day intervals on Decembers.

The following users thanked this post: Castinar, El Pip, Mayne, Gabrote42, lumporr