Author Topic: Absorption Shields  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Xaoc (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • X
Absorption Shields
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:35:42 AM »
I noticed that the star swarm aliens are using these kind of shields and since I'm just about to blow one of their motherships out of the sky, I'm wondering what the difference between Absorption Shields and Standard Shields? Which is better? Can they be used together? What do the stats mean for Absorption Shields? Any Info is appreciated.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Absorption Shields
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »
AFAIK Star Swarm uses normal shields

Offline Xaoc (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »
Quote from: "Andrew"

No, I'm 100% sure they do use absorption shields(also), since I'm currently looking at my Event Updates window clearly reading Star Swarm ships radiating energy from their Absorption Shields. Though I'm in a bit of a confusion as to which ships are the motherships. The small ~800 ton are the swarm, but what are the 60k and 6k ton ships?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Quote from: "Xaoc"
Quote from: "Andrew"

No, I'm 100% sure they do use absorption shields(also), since I'm currently looking at my Event Updates window clearly reading Star Swarm ships radiating energy from their Absorption Shields. Though I'm in a bit of a confusion as to which ships are the motherships. The small ~800 ton are the swarm, but what are the 60k and 6k ton ships?
Only read this if you want to know about the Swarm [spoiler:2sj4rqoc]The 60K target is the Mother and can carry 20 soldiers internally.  The 6K are unarmed workers who some sort of mining activity[/spoiler:2sj4rqoc]
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:56:22 PM »
[spoiler:2mf13jtr]The star swarm use regular shields. Only the Invaders use absorption shields.[/spoiler:2mf13jtr]. If you are getting messages about star swarm radiating that sounds like a bug.

Steve

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:16:06 AM »
[spoiler:2bbcjyvi]I just finished fighting the Star Swarm, and the Mother just had normal shields. STRONG shields, but normal. My first salvo knocked her shields down from 600 to 200. I think absorption shields just absorb the damage.  :D[/spoiler:2bbcjyvi]

Offline Xaoc (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:27:27 AM »
Thanks, but my original question remains unanswered still...  :D[/quote]

Huh? And normal shields don't?  :?

Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
If you are getting messages about star swarm radiating that sounds like a bug.

Now that you mention it. From the 6 [spoiler:3nc3wlux]workers[/spoiler:3nc3wlux] I destroyed only 1(the one designated 001) had absorption shields and only 1 swarmling had absorption shields as well. The [spoiler:3nc3wlux]mothership[/spoiler:3nc3wlux] had normal shields indeed. [spoiler:3nc3wlux]The 600 points of shields proved too much for my frontier patrol fleet, so I had to turn tail and abandon that particular uninhabited system, although I destroyed a lot of their ships and suffered no casualties. Seems like long range missile frigates with powerful engines are the right cure for swarm infestations. Sadly the LR missiles didn't have enough firepower to destroy the MS's shields before the swarm came too close.[/spoiler:3nc3wlux]