Author Topic: (v0.5.16) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer  (Read 40142 times)

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: (v0.2.1) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 11:33:40 PM »
New update v0.2.1 is out, ship optimizer is now useable.

Ship archive is still working in progress.

The following users thanked this post: baller deluxe

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
Very cool, wow I can make fast ships with decent range I didn't know of before.

Offline JandyRids

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • J
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
Is this an executable JAR? I have Java installed, but it doesn't seem to want to run. 

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
Is this an executable JAR? I have Java installed, but it doesn't seem to want to run.
Yes, it is executable.
If you run the following in the command line in the folder it resides in, does it print anything?
Code: [Select]
java -jar A4xCalc.jar

Offline JandyRids

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • J
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »
Quote from: Iceranger link=topic=10999.  msg129207#msg129207 date=1588186783
Quote from: JandyRids link=topic=10999.  msg129202#msg129202 date=1588185569
Yes, it is executable.   
If you run the following in the command line in the folder it resides in, does it print anything?
Code: [Select]
java -jar A4xCalc.jar

Just realised I had opened it up with the wrong file association initially and then it became corrupted.  It's fine now.  Thanks for your help and for creating this immensely useful tool.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:10:06 PM by JandyRids »

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: (v0.2.2) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »
New update v0.2.2 is out. Now ship archive can be used same way as the missile archive.

Offline noodles590

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
Re: (v0.2.2) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 02:20:23 AM »
Thanks Iceranger! This utility has been super helpful.   Keep up the good work

The following users thanked this post: baller deluxe, Iceranger

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: (v0.2.3) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
v0.2.3 released. Fixed a minor bug and tweaked the armor equation again. The armor equation should be exact if the exact size is close to the acutal tonnage.

Offline Feeble

• Petty Officer
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 02:48:27 AM »
Are you working on adding in a box to put in deployment time and factor in crew added by the engine? The effect of crew size is rather large.

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
Are you working on adding in a box to put in deployment time and factor in crew added by the engine? The effect of crew size is rather large.
Yes, it is possible to do that as I have figured out crew quarter size calculation before. However, as you mentioned, I can only calculate the crew amount needed for engines (and JD and cloaking if chosen), but not for any additional payload put onto the ship.

The following users thanked this post: baller deluxe, Feeble

Offline Feeble

• Petty Officer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 05:36:38 AM »
Yes, it is possible to do that as I have figured out crew quarter size calculation before. However, as you mentioned, I can only calculate the crew amount needed for engines (and JD and cloaking if chosen), but not for any additional payload put onto the ship.

Good to hear. Right now I'm using the doc below to work around the limitation but it would be nice to have both in the same place:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16DG53Utwp9bpw7ZBeqe2alXz_x9r7SUdSj9FFqtH6mM/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 08:57:16 AM »

Good to hear. Right now I'm using the doc below to work around the limitation but it would be nice to have both in the same place:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16DG53Utwp9bpw7ZBeqe2alXz_x9r7SUdSj9FFqtH6mM/edit?usp=sharing
Yes, it is possible to create something like that, or even better, having a table of components you would like to add, have you input the cost and crew numbers of each component. It is even possible to calculate the engineering space needed to fulfill the MSP and deployment time needed. However, I feel at that point, we are essentially rebuilding the component design and class design window in the game. Instead of reinventing the wheel, the new prototyping feature added in C# is a much more accurate and convenient tool to plan a ship.

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:18 AM »
Thanks for this utility, very helpful.   Is there any chance you can get it to read the Aurora. db file (specifying it in a file selection) to read the background techs?

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
Thanks for this utility, very helpful.   Is there any chance you can get it to read the Aurora. db file (specifying it in a file selection) to read the background techs?

That is definitely possible. Although with the number of techs relevant to what it does, right now I just hardcode those techs and update them if they ever change. What additional feature do you have in mind if it does read background techs from DB?

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »
I just don't want to fill it in every time I open the tool.   Or does it remember what I put in last time?  How does it handle if I have multiple games going, can I switch between them?