Author Topic: AuroraMod 1.12.x-final - Custom colors, fonts, scale, resizing, auto-save, etc  (Read 25296 times)

Offline Bluebreaker

• Chief Petty Officer
  • B
I think we need to pressure Steve to incorporate some of the features from the mod...  personally I really need the color part of this mod as I find Steve's original colors to be really bad for my eyes.
Or to not need to change regional settings.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
For me I mostly enjoyed the ability to change the icons on the top, the alternate icons used in that mod were really nice and clean.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
I think we need to pressure Steve to incorporate some of the features from the mod...  personally I really need the color part of this mod as I find Steve's original colors to be really bad for my eyes.

The same problem with color scheme - I have to pay with quite severe headashe for every try to play long enough - though cannot agree with "pressure" part.
It's a hobby project, we have no right to press on.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
For me I mostly enjoyed the ability to change the icons on the top, the alternate icons used in that mod were really nice and clean.

- Have you tried asking the author of the mod if you can pick up where they left off and carry on in their stead? I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to share their code with you.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D

- Have you tried asking the author of the mod if you can pick up where they left off and carry on in their stead? I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to share their code with you.

If you scroll earlier on in this thread I'm pretty sure the author gave anyone permission to continue updates to the mod. I personally would love to update the mod myself, my problem is that of time due to nearing the exam season of my masters degree. If any of you want to continue auroramod, make sure you ask Steve for his blessing and do not change the scope of the mod.

My advice would be to download and decompile/deobfuscate both 1.13 and 1.12 auroramod and just try to port over the UI changes but understand that you will spend a good amount of time with a profiler tracking variables to understand what the variable names are for.

But please, if you intend to do this ask Steve first.

Edit: I could not find the author explicitly giving permission after reviewing the thread but for some reason I remember something to that effect being said. However I do now that there isn't some github with auroramod out there because that is essentially sharing deobfuscated aurora code, which I'm pretty sure is a big no no.

Edit 2: It was on the 1.11 version thread:
Quote from: twice2double link=http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11568.msg141660#msg141660
You'd have to take it up with Steve. I would love nothing more than to open source the work I have so far and let the community manage it, but that would go against my original agreement with Steve.
Admittedly I am losing interest/steam. Work and a house purchase/move is keeping me busy.

I recently formatted my rig so I'll have to setup my dev environment again. I'll try to have 1.12 out by the end of the weekend.

So it really all depends on your dealings with Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:20:35 PM by Droll »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline twice2double (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
To provide a bit of closure:

I officially no longer control AuroraMod. I voluntarily sent the entire code base + change history (along with de-obfuscation/decompilation instructions) to Steve and deleted all my copies of it.
I don't think it's inconceivable that he would pass it on to someone else to take over development, but you'd have to take it up with him.

As I had mentioned recently - keeping up with the obfuscated changes ended up being too time consuming and bug-prone.
I had 0 reverse engineering experience when I started so I've learned a lot along the way.
If I could do it again I would take a different approach which would be more robust to obfuscated changes throughout releases (actually I probably wouldn't do it at all unless there was a way of open-sourcing the work without ruffling feathers).

All-in-all I'd consider AuroraMod a success - not only has it helped more people play Aurora, but it also took some pressure off Steve with regards to UI requests. He's also told me he may look into incorporate some of those changes in the main game.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Droll, serger, Cinnius, King-Salomon, Warer, Sunmannus, skoormit, IronRagnar

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
All-in-all I'd consider AuroraMod a success - not only has it helped more people play Aurora, but it also took some pressure off Steve with regards to UI requests. He's also told me he may look into incorporate some of those changes in the main game.

This is honestly all anyone can ask for, thanks for making auroramod.

The following users thanked this post: kenlon, Warer

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E

I agree that this game could really do with some Quality-of-Life improvements (such as colour and font settings that allow more of us to play), however unfortunately it's been incredibly hard to get any traction on this - Steve was so anti-mod when C# first came out that he threatened on multiple occasions to just not publish the game at all and keep it to himself. It's the reason the subreddit, forum, and Discord had complete bans on even talking about mods for a while.

That said, it'd obviously fine for Steve to do this - it's his game and he isn't even paid for it. He can do whatever he wants.

So perhaps the dialog that originally allowed modding to happen can be re-opened, and some avenue to allow modding could be introduced? I'll put my money where my mouth is and can offer to actually do some of this - like many other people here I have some background in software development - if that's at all helpful. I just want to be able to play the game again, to be honest.

Offline DawnMachine

• Petty Officer
  • D
AuroraMod noooo :'( :'(  I can't imagine Aurora 4x without this mod.  Thanks for your work.  I will wait for better times.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
AuroraMod noooo :'( :'(  I can't imagine Aurora 4x without this mod.  Thanks for your work.  I will wait for better times.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12552.0

Better times might not be as distant as it may seem

Offline Breadabix

• Petty Officer
  • B
Is this going to be updated to 1.13? Ive just come back to Aurora and would love to use this :)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Is this going to be updated to 1.13? Ive just come back to Aurora and would love to use this :)

You ought to read my post above yours. This version is no longer being updated hence the "final" in the post title.

Offline Breadabix

• Petty Officer
  • B

You ought to read my post above yours. This version is no longer being updated hence the "final" in the post title.

But the link you sent is to a deprecated mod/theme, and T2DTheme doesnt have the features this does and its been nearly a year since you commented... Unless T2D is going to be developed to have resizing, custom themes etc it isnt a replacement for this.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D

But the link you sent is to a deprecated mod/theme, and T2DTheme doesnt have the features this does and its been nearly a year since you commented... Unless T2D is going to be developed to have resizing, custom themes etc it isnt a replacement for this.

You are correct that the T2DTheme doesn't have complete feature parity. However it is the only thing that is actually updated for 1.13 so unfortunately its the best I can give you.

However, you can with minimal editing do resizing and some custom color stuff so its not quite as bare as you make it out to be, just needs more work than the 1.12 version. I still use it with 1.13 to this day and have been able to do all things I needed it to do. In my case I use the SolarisTheme.

Edit: Here is SolarisTheme http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12568.0
Consider looking under the "Approved Mods" section of the forums for more, you might prefer Deep Blue.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:14:47 PM by Droll »

Offline ReviewDude01

• Petty Officer
  • R
This mod is essential. It is not only colors. This allow to play on lower resolution and also adds awesome hotkeys for example at scrap component UI allowing to skip lot of clicking.