Author Topic: United Nations of Earth  (Read 1783 times)

Offline ranger044 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
United Nations of Earth
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:29:16 AM »
I've started up a new playthrough using a similar setup as before. Life got hectic last year and I wasn't able to play for about 6 months. I've learned some new things about the game and fixed some issues with my previous setup. First report will be coming in the next few days (hopefully).

If any admins read this, feel free to delete my old post in the General Fiction. I won't be continuing it.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, Albacore

Offline ranger044 (OP)

• r
Re: United Nations of Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 11:34:37 AM »
United Nations of Earth, 2130ce

Prologue

The Late 21st Century to the Modern Era

Humanity crested 8 billion population by the early 2030s, after a short decrease in fertility rates at the end of the 2020s. Estimates at the time warned that we were fast approaching the carrying capacity of Earth, with the most conservative figures showing that we had already passed the point of no return. Whether they were right or not does not matter. In 2044, with humanity now reaching 9 billion, a series of droughts and disasters worked their way across the globe. In the short term there was little change, but as the years went on more and more nations felt the strain of lessened food supplies and security. The two most populous countries, China and India, were hit nearly as hard as the poverty stricken importer countries. Mass migrations and instability reigned supreme through the 2050s. Collapse of infrastructure only served to worsen the problem as organized relief efforts were nigh impossible to mount. By 2065 the global population had been reduced to a mere 5 billion, with the threat of world resource conflicts ever present.

What started as a flashpoint conflict in Greece and Turkey quickly escalated into a major global conflict. In August of 2067 the President of Russia, Lazar Kuzmin, was assassinated during a peace conference held in Sofia. At the time blame was placed on a US backed Greek nationalist. Later investigations held in 2074 concluded that the assassin was neither US backed nor Greek. World tension demanded action and conflict escalated. Fortunately for humanity, the allure of nuclear hellfire was resisted. Unfortunately for humanity, the five year conflict claimed the lives of close to 800 million people and led to further instability. The 2080s were heralded as the Great Reconstruction of the global economy and first steps towards saving humanity. A census held in 2080 estimated the population of humanity to have been reduced to only 3 billion, less than half of what had been alive two generations prior and the lowest numbers since the Cold War Era a century before.

Reconstruction was slow, but ultimately successful. At the turn of the century the population had stabilized and maps were more or less recognizable. A few countries had ceased to exist, some had found their niche, most had been able to endure through the worst of modern history. In 2105 an effort to reinstate the United Nations under a more centralized body came to fruition. Articles of confederation were drafted bringing the United Nations as it had been back into existence with the intent of being replaced by a stronger governing body. Modeled after a blend of the constitutions of the United States and the Russian Federation, with certain homages to the democracy of ancient Athens, the Articles of the United Nations of Earth were adopted in 2108, effective 2010. The first elected Archon was Stanisław Mrozek, a 57 year old Polish national whose mother had been a key actor in ending the Resource Wars and was himself pivotal in crafting the new Articles. Mrozek led the Assembly for the first ten years of its existence, with all subsequent Archons limited to five-year terms with the eligibility of reelection.

A discovery in December of 2129 would change the destiny of humanity...

The following users thanked this post: Black, BAGrimm, Warer, nuclearslurpee

Offline ranger044 (OP)

• r
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
Starting Conditions

Year: 2130
0 NPR races - Will be using a random percentage chance manually upon entering systems more than 4 jumps from Earth. If a success is had and no suitable body is present I will manually create a colony with infrastructure instead of a homeworld. This will be tedious but I feel it can simulate fist contact effectively, I will manually create jump points back to their homeworld based on further rng to further simulate an actual empire. In my "normal" games I have only ever made first contact with a NPR at their homeworld. This doesn't make much sense as this is also where most of my games end because they are so much more advanced than me - how is it that I made it all the way to your home system undetected if you can nuke Earth from damn well near Neptune with no issue?
Difficulty - 100
Research speed - 25
Terraforming speed - 25 - As a RP restriction I am not allowed to drop off infrastructure on any planets until I have terraformed it enough to bring colony cost down to at least 2.00 (meaning any extreme factors have been dealt with) and atm is deviating by no more than -0.75 - +2.00. The idea behind this is that infrastructure is SUPER cheap to build but I think the infrastructure cost of colonies doesn't quite make up the gap of differing atmospheres and environments. Mars, sitting at only 1% Earth atm, has an infrastructure per million equal to somewhere with nearly twice the atm of Earth. That doesn't make much sense to me as the different pressures would require far different materials changing the cost of development. Forcing myself to terraform at least a little first from space seems more realistic than just dropping one size fits all domes off on random planets.
Survey - 50
Ruin chance - 20
Political Bonus enabled - RP reasons.
No Invaders - I want a challenge and some extra realism, but I'm not a masochist dammit.
Real Star Systems.

Race Settings:

Conventional Empire - (Some techs will be SM in, like conventional composite armour - we already use composites in real life and this is a pre-TN tech)
Density 1.1
Growth 1.0
Research 1.0
Production 0.25

Stats - Based on a series of rng rolls and checks. (I know most of these don't actually effect my race but I like them for RP purposes).
Det. 52
Dip. 61
Exp. 49
Mil. 55
Trd. 44
Tra. +1
Xen. 58

population: 4000 (might tweak growth as we go, until we have populated colonies growth really shouldn't exceed 2.5% on Earth).
0 Shipyards - I will SM in 1 naval and 2 commercial.
16 research facilities - it gave me 66 by default and I divided by 4
1600 ConInd - same as above
5 Maint
1 Naval
3 Ground
1 DST

Hope you all enjoy!

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, Warer, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 02:35:17 PM »
Always great fun to see a new AAR go up on the board!

Interesting plan with the manual NPR generation. I feel like it might get tedious having to create an entire alien empire every time you roll a new race, but if you're playing fairly slowly after the initial early TN tech rush stages it shouldn't be too much of a drag. I do personally like the feeling of generating the first NPR or two on system discovery, mainly if you do that fairly early before you're managed to build a major tech lead they will have something of a RP and BP advantage over you due to how the starting spawn is handled. Probably not the best idea in a conventional start, though...

With 4b pop I'd expect things to move fairly quickly usually, but you're not starting with a lot of facilities so that will be interesting. Hopefully the slow research doesn't drag you down too hard with so few labs!

The following users thanked this post: Warer