Author Topic: Generalize "Senior C.O." Option  (Read 3596 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Generalize "Senior C.O." Option
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 01:40:02 PM »
What if the flag bridge functioned as it does now, but affected all ships in the system rather than just the parent fleet?

Whait a minute. Will it be stacking? If yes, it's awfull - tens of flag bridges will give combat fleet furious summary bonuses. If no, it's problematic - which flag bridges will give bonuses, which will not in the same system?

Presently if there are multiple flag bridges in a fleet (not uncommon to occur) the highest-ranking, then most-senior officer is chosen I believe. Same system should apply if multiple flags are in a system.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »
Well, getting the reaction bonus across the system is a step to the right direction so getting at least that would be grand.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 04:55:07 AM »
Presently if there are multiple flag bridges in a fleet (not uncommon to occur) the highest-ranking, then most-senior officer is chosen I believe. Same system should apply if multiple flags are in a system.

I don't like it. It's natural for the fleet/squad, not for some locus.
However, I must admit, it's mechanically simple, have some anchors in natural lore parts of Aurora, and, maybe, will free from some micro burden, especially if there will be simple way to see which officer is currently senior flag officer in this system / for this fleet.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 05:05:31 AM »
How about full reaction bonus in the fleet and half reaction bonus in the system?

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42, dsedrez

Offline dsedrez

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 06:06:56 AM »
How about full reaction bonus in the fleet and half reaction bonus in the system?

I'd ask though what would happen if I had two fleets with two flag officers: would both bonuses apply so each fleet gets full bonus from its officer and half from the other? What about a third fleet, what bonus would it get? Just seeing the complications :)

The natural answer would be that the bonus from the highest ranking/most senior officer would apply, but would it stack with the bonus of the other flag officer? I'd suggest that in this case only the highest bonus would apply (either the fleet's own flag officer's full bonus or the half from the other...)

I don't like it. It's natural for the fleet/squad, not for some locus.
However, I must admit, it's mechanically simple, have some anchors in natural lore parts of Aurora, and, maybe, will free from some micro burden, especially if there will be simple way to see which officer is currently senior flag officer in this system / for this fleet.

I agree: it would be confusing unless there's an easy way to see whose is the highest ranking flag officer in the system.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 08:53:29 AM »

I think it has a benefit of inheriting the worse part of both alternatives: it's not simple anymore, an it's still unnatural.

Offline KriegsMeister

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 09:53:32 AM »
What about being able to assign a ship(s) with flag bridge directly to a Naval Admin Command? Said ship would normally be kept at port or patrolling the local system and the NAC bonuses are applied normally to all other commands/ships below it.   

If said ship leaves the system, the NAC bonus leaves with it, applying still only to those ships under its command.    While the home system of the NAC loses the the bonuses while "The Flag is away", but the officer is still technically assigned the post so it doesn't get vacated and autopromoted into.   

Flag bridges and officers in a regular old fleet would still function as they do currently.    So you have your Commodore/Rear Admiral commanding individual squadrons while Vice Admiral So-n-So in the SS Big Bad and Scary overseeing the 1st expeditionary fleet command and on occasion goes on patrol when multiple squadrons are needed.   

Edit: thinking about it, might want to also reduce the admin bonus while away from the home system.   So that 1, encouraged to keep the officer in home port to get the full bonus and not just exploit it with just a single homeworld housing the entire Naval structure.   And 2.   Makes thematic sense, since the flag/ admin Commander wouldn't have their full staff and support network on board as opposed to being ashore
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:39:17 PM by KriegsMeister »

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke, LiquidGold2, LuuBluum