Author Topic: Federation Campaign Comments Thread  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Federation Campaign Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2023, 07:47:21 AM »
Use your imagination!

Never! *shakes fist*

...well, I suppose...

More seriously, this did remind me in the old Star Fleet Battles some races' ship designs had what was called a phaser-G, a gatling-style phaser that fired four weak short ranged phaser shots.  Effective against missiles and fighters of course, but also surprisingly good at knife-fighting passes against larger ships too.  Not that they would be as good point defense weapons in this game as the reskinned railgun arrays.

Further speculating, if you wanted to emulate Klingon-type disruptors you could maybe use plasma carronades or particle beams.  And yes, the old VB6 SPOILER weapon would have been just perfect for the Romulans!  ;D  But I don't think those are coming back, probably too much hassle to code just for a single unique weapon.

Hope there's more soon!

They are railguns and their first name was 'Gatling Phaser', before I changed it to Point Defence Phaser. I thought the former didn't sound very Starfleet :)

Photon cannons in shambles.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2023, 03:01:37 PM »
Use your imagination!

Never! *shakes fist*

...well, I suppose...

More seriously, this did remind me in the old Star Fleet Battles some races' ship designs had what was called a phaser-G, a gatling-style phaser that fired four weak short ranged phaser shots.  Effective against missiles and fighters of course, but also surprisingly good at knife-fighting passes against larger ships too.  Not that they would be as good point defense weapons in this game as the reskinned railgun arrays.

Further speculating, if you wanted to emulate Klingon-type disruptors you could maybe use plasma carronades or particle beams.  And yes, the old VB6 SPOILER weapon would have been just perfect for the Romulans!  ;D  But I don't think those are coming back, probably too much hassle to code just for a single unique weapon.

Hope there's more soon!

They are railguns and their first name was 'Gatling Phaser', before I changed it to Point Defence Phaser. I thought the former didn't sound very Starfleet :)

If I remember correctly, Starfleet Battles featured gatling phasers.  The Feds got them in later eras. 

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »

If I remember correctly, Starfleet Battles featured gatling phasers.  The Feds got them in later eras.

Yes, that's where I got the idea for the original name.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2023, 06:39:12 PM »
A fairly short update, not surprising if the goal is to hurry up and start playing with the aliens.

I'd say the Council is making a serious mistake in pressing for a foothold in Luyten's Star. Even if it is a nice jump nexus, it will be a while until the Federation has a need or practical ability to exploit systems which are 25-30 billion km away, round trip. Meanwhile, aggravating the cough cough 61 Cygni aliens accomplishes nothing but risking war and there is no guarantee here that such a war can be ended by anything less than total defeat of one side, particularly if the shooting starts before communications are established.

Better to hold at Meridian and patrol Psi Herculis I think. With any luck we would make friends and Meridian could become a thriving trading planet.  ;D  Though even becoming a fortress world is probably better than the 'real' Meridian...

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2023, 09:31:26 AM »
After a quick trip to the Star Trek Wiki, I can't say I've ever heard of the Tellarites, but they sound peaceful enough - well, assuming there wasn't a Federation stronghold going up right outside their front door.

I have to agree that the Federation Council seems rather more aggressive than I'd expect - Steve, you sure you're not still roleplaying the Imperium of Man?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2023, 10:00:46 AM »
Maybe the Federation was secretly infiltrated by Terran Empire agents from mirror universe.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, BigBacon, nuclearslurpee

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
After a quick trip to the Star Trek Wiki, I can't say I've ever heard of the Tellarites, but they sound peaceful enough - well, assuming there wasn't a Federation stronghold going up right outside their front door.

The Tellarites were one of the four founding members of the Federation, along with the Vulcans and Andorians. They were in the original series, Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek Discovery, two of the movies (IV and VI), Picard and all three animated series (original, Lower Decks and Prodigy), although their appearance changes quite a bit between different series. They tend to be stubborn, argumentative and impatient.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tellarite

I have to agree that the Federation Council seems rather more aggressive than I'd expect - Steve, you sure you're not still roleplaying the Imperium of Man?

The Federation Council is economically aggressive, rather than militarily, which is something for which a lot of other races criticize the Federation.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 10:30:09 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: BigBacon

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2023, 11:22:20 AM »
I'm probably not going to continue this campaign now, but I will leave it up for the ship designs, etc. I played about seven years and it allowed me to test the v2.4.0 changes, but never seemed to really take off.

The following users thanked this post: BigBacon, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2023, 11:41:20 AM »
I'm probably not going to continue this campaign now, but I will leave it up for the ship designs, etc. I played about seven years and it allowed me to test the v2.4.0 changes, but never seemed to really take off.

I suspected that would be an issue with the great dispersion of the NPRs. Perhaps even more so with the increased size of the Real Stars database.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »

I suspected that would be an issue with the great dispersion of the NPRs. Perhaps even more so with the increased size of the Real Stars database.

I met a second NPR and the Raiders, but the second NPR (Andorians) was peaceful and the first one (Tellarites) was easily beaten back into its home system, so I had several years of just building up colonies but no real challenge or threat. It happens quite often that I just lose the enthusiasm for a campaign and move on. I will likely come back to this though, as I have done quite a lot of background work. Maybe I'll go and try something unusual - like WH40K? :)

The following users thanked this post: lumporr

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2023, 11:47:53 AM »

I met a second NPR and the Raiders, but the second NPR (Andorians) was peaceful and the first one (Tellarites) was easily beaten back into its home system, so I had several years of just building up colonies but no real challenge or threat. It happens quite often that I just lose the enthusiasm for a campaign and move on. I will likely come back to this though, as I have done quite a lot of background work. Maybe I'll go and try something unusual - like WH40K? :)

My personal feeling is that 2.4 is in a great place to commit to a long multiple-player-race campaign, which is my plan over the holidays. I'm not saying you should do such a thing, but I'm not not saying you should do such a thing.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Xkill

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2023, 04:00:17 PM »

My personal feeling is that 2.4 is in a great place to commit to a long multiple-player-race campaign, which is my plan over the holidays. I'm not saying you should do such a thing, but I'm not not saying you should do such a thing.  ;)

I quite agree!  Thanks to Steve for releasing 2.4!  I've been bouncing around ideas for a new campaign, and this sounds like a good place to start. 

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley, BigBacon

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2023, 04:23:27 PM »
I wasn't expecting 2.4 today, best Christmas gift ever, thank you Steve!

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley, Xkill, BigBacon, StarshipCactus

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2023, 12:04:49 PM »
Yeah I was greeted by the (in my perception) early release of 2.4.0, but it is cool to see you do a Star Trek AAR. I'm a huge Enterprise nerd so I did a United Earth / UESPA start for mine and based ships off the early warp delta designs eventually leading up to Enterprise. Was pretty neat, but also stagnated. I have a hard time roleplaying peaceful nations early on since I need to find pretense to make weapons, so I just added a pirate player faction with some rules for them, but the new raider stuff seems neat for that as well.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2023, 02:26:16 PM »
I have a hard time roleplaying peaceful nations early on since I need to find pretense to make weapons, so I just added a pirate player faction with some rules for them, but the new raider stuff seems neat for that as well.

I think it's not too hard to justify weapons, after all, "if you want peace prepare for war" is a common and arguably correct saying. IMHO, the harder part of playing peacefully is that NPR diplomacy is very limited, even if you find relatively peaceful NPRs there is no way to get them to recognize or negotiate borders, for instance, besides claiming a system and hoping they will accept the claim. Pretty much any more complex treaty is right out, nor can there be some coordination of fleets between allies.

With multiple player races this is all a moot point, of course, but I do dream of a more complex NPR diplomacy system someday...

The following users thanked this post: Black, captainwolfer