Author Topic: Tug Speed Formula?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Tug Speed Formula?
« on: May 18, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
What is the formula for tug speed in C#?

I found one that uses HS for the old game, (Speed = Engine Power / Hull Size *(1000)) but I don't think that applies for C# where HS isn't a thing any more and tons are used instead. 

Can you put multiple tugs in a fleet and have them all pull a station to combine their EP?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:52:00 PM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Arcanestomper

• Petty Officer
  • A
Re: Tug Speed Formula?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
There's been no change to HS in C#. It's just 1 HS is 50 tons. If you want to use tons in your speed formula instead, then just multiply by 50,000 instead of 1,000.

The following users thanked this post: Borealis4x

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 06:50:42 AM »
Apologies for adding to this thread but I really need some help as I cannot for the life of me work out how to use the formula to see if a Tug I design will pull an Installation.

eg - i have a Tug, ( 1 tractor beam ) 14446 tons at present with 10 engines ( total power 1562.5 )

I have designed a non-engined  Terraformer at present 77301 tons and a non-engined Orbital Mining Platform ( 13 Modules )  weight at present 67382 tons .

How can I work out in the Tug will  tractor the items to where I want them to go.  Any help would be much appreciated.

DavidR

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:57:23 AM »
Apologies for adding to this thread but I really need some help as I cannot for the life of me work out how to use the formula to see if a Tug I design will pull an Installation.

eg - i have a Tug, ( 1 tractor beam ) 14446 tons at present with 10 engines ( total power 1562.5 )

I have designed a non-engined  Terraformer at present 77301 tons and a non-engined Orbital Mining Platform ( 13 Modules )  weight at present 67382 tons .

How can I work out in the Tug will  tractor the items to where I want them to go.  Any help would be much appreciated.

DavidR

To be clear, the tug will tug anything. The question is: at what speed?

The simple method:
The weight of the target ship--how many multiples of the weight of the tug is it?
Add one to that number.
Now divide the base speed of the tug by that.
That's how fast the tug will go while tugging the target ship.

For example, your tug has a speed of ~5400 km/s.
The terraformer is 77.3kT, which is about 5.4 times the tug (14.4kT).
5.4 + 1 = 6.4
5400 % 6.4 = 843.75.
Therefore the tug will tow the terrarformer at ~843.75 km/s.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:59:26 AM by skoormit »

The following users thanked this post: davidr, AfricanWarrior

Offline Arcanestomper

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:30:29 AM »
If you want a quick and dirty method then add the modules of your station to your proposed tug design. That will give you the approximate speed. It'll be a bit slower because of additional crew quarters and stuff on the station, but the important modules add most of the weight.

The following users thanked this post: davidr

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 03:35:54 PM »
To clear it up, because it isn't explicitly given in this thread:

Speed in km/s = 50000 * [Total Engine Power]/[Ship Size in Tons].

For tugs plus towed stuff:

Speed in km/s= 50000 * [Total Tug Engine Power]/[(Tug Tonnage)+(Towed Tonnage)].

Towing stations doesn't need to be fast. But be advised that you need a certain speed to reach certain celestial objects. Planets have their own speed, and your vehicle needs to be able to overtake them to reach them. Mercury has an orbital speed of 50km/s for example, Earth has 30km/s.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »

Speed in km/s= 50000 * [Total Tug Engine Power]/[(Tug Tonnage)+(Towed Tonnage)].

Towing stations doesn't need to be fast. But be advised that you need a certain speed to reach certain celestial objects. Planets have their own speed, and your vehicle needs to be able to overtake them to reach them. Mercury has an orbital speed of 50km/s for example, Earth has 30km/s.
Strictly speaking if you don't mind doing some trig then you can calculate an intercept by hand and set a waypoint, but that way tends to get tedious rather quickly.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 04:36:05 PM »
Can you tow a station with multiple tugs to combine engine power?

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »
Unfortunately no

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
Not currently.  Multi-tug had some severe bugs, so it has been disabled for the time being.  Edit: ninjas.  ninjas everywhere.

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »

Strictly speaking if you don't mind doing some trig then you can calculate an intercept by hand and set a waypoint, but that way tends to get tedious rather quickly.

If I'm faced with that situation, I just put a waypoint on the planets current position and go park on the orbital path, the planet will come to me soon enough, they might be a little overdue, but they'll arrive even if the planet orbits faster than they move.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage