Author Topic: Modification to Sector Commands?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Modification to Sector Commands?
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Just a thought.

Shall the Sector Command require population to work?

Basically is a bit unrealistic that 8 Sector Commands could handle all the system within 4 jumps just with one Admin. I mean the amount of paperwork to handle should be insane.

Other things to consider: Rather than require more Sector Commands to increase the radius (The range of the Sector increases at an exponentially decreasing rate) why don't cap the number of Commands so that more commands are required? At the end of the day, nobody can oversee a whole Galaxy. Also, this could fix the workaround implemented to avoid exploit for example:

Sector Governors give one-quarter of their bonuses, (like mining or factory production), to all colonies in the sector.
Wouldn't be required. With a maximum of 4 Commands you could have the following to simulate the lost of efficiency within size:
100% bonus for 1 sector command radius 0
75% bonus for 2 sector commands radius 1
50% bonus for 3 sector commands radius 2
25% bonus for 4 sector commands radius 3

Otherwise, you could have the following to avoid single sector commands spawn exploit:
25% bonus for 1 sector command radius 0
50% bonus for 2 sector commands radius 1
75% bonus for 3 sector commands radius 2
100% bonus for 4 sector commands radius 3

The range of the Sector increases at an exponentially decreasing rate.
Wouldn't be required as limit will be a fixed set (4 or 5 or 10 depending on Steve's thoughts and test)

As discussed the need for population and maybe increase base BP required for construction could also balance exploiting the number of single sector commands.

any thoughts?

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
Re: Modification to Sector Commands?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
I'm unsure what exploit you refer to.

Also, 100% in the same system is far too high a bonus. Getting your best leader to boost your whole home system, not just your home planet, at max? That's pretty huge.

That said, population use seems reasonable enough.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
I would only be in favor of a small population usage. 50k people per sector command do not sound a bad idea.
I'm against changin how the bonuses work though

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
I'm unsure what exploit you refer to.

You could just plop in sector commands with the first example and get 100% bonus which is a lot so it was intended to discourage that tactic.

I agree that 100% is a lot however that was only an example. You could do 5-10-15-20 or 2-4-8-10...anyway I hope you understand.

I would only be in favor of a small population usage. 50k people per sector command do not sound a bad idea.
I'm against changin how the bonuses work though

Yes I do agree in fact the main post purpose was mostly the need of population as I believe is a bit unrealistic. Even more than 50K pop will actually justify the need of administrative compounds with Financial centers, sector commands and eventually academies.

I just wanted to know if this could have been seen as valuable or just a meh.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:18:23 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 01:07:40 AM »
I think the question of whether any building must have a population requirement should come down to game balance.

We need reasons to move colonists off our homeworld. Now, true, many reasons already exist. But buildings population requirements are one of those. The higher the pop requirement, the greater the incentive to move population to faroff places.

If Sector Commands have no pop requirements, they can be slapped down on any exposed piece of rock. That allows them on to be hidden or placed in systems with no viable colonies. This forms more the idea of a self-contained command post for the sector. Like a government bunker or something.

If they have pop requirements, the functions become more colony-centric. High population planets become more valuable as potential capitals to host these facilities. Now they are more like parliament or the Pentagon, requiring a large population to support them. This provides impetus to form little nexuses of government rule on populated planets throughout your empire.

When planets had no pop limits, the first option made more sense. You can dump enough infrastructure on any barren rock to run the Sector Command, so why force players to jump through the hoop? Now that there are maximum populations and most asteroids may struggle to be able to house sufficient population to run a Sector Command, perhaps the second may add more dynamic gameplay, encourage more desired behaviour and make more sense.
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 04:46:03 AM »
I do think some population would make sense. Not a high one, but running a SECTOR should require a certain number of pupolation. Else we may just as well say that automation is 100%, and that no ship or structure need pop because robots do everything. Since it is apparent to me that this is not the point of the game, I'd really say that a sector command requires a notable amount of people to run. 50k seems reasonable.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 08:46:57 AM »
I do think some population would make sense. Not a high one, but running a SECTOR should require a certain number of pupolation. Else we may just as well say that automation is 100%, and that no ship or structure need pop because robots do everything. Since it is apparent to me that this is not the point of the game, I'd really say that a sector command requires a notable amount of people to run. 50k seems reasonable.

Just like ground training facilities, the lore isn't so much that Sector Commands are run by robots but that they already include their population (since its all government employees) and everything they need to live and it is therefore abstracted away for simplicity sake as it doesn't add much to the game. Really pretty much like the thing is a self-contained bunker.

Yes there is TECHNICALLY the consideration that this "population" is created out of nothing since the population of the planet you build them on does not decrease by an equal amount, but the amounts arent really relevant so it doesn't really matter and is not worth tracking. At least, that is if memory serves was the story.

As I said, with population limits on planets this might no longer be true. The population in question might be relevant when you are working with a small sector capital with only a maximum population of a hundred million or less (of which only a fraction are available as labour).
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »
I do think a sector command should require a fairly large colony, personally.  You cant just put 50 guys in a bunker somewhere and then imagine that is performing major governmental services for an area of space consisting of multiple inhabited planets and possibly hundreds of billions of humans.  I'd be fine with building one out of the way but it should probably require a fair degree of infrastructure to do so.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 01:25:21 AM »
I thnk a far better solution is that sector commands not grant bonuses to any colony/system with more population than the colony/system where the command is located.

Because I can imagine "50 guys in a bunker somewhere. . . performing major governmental services for an area of space consisting of multiple inhabited planets" so long as those planets are sparsely inhabited.  Maybe that's because I used to live in a "city" that was the governmental hub for a million square kilometres.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:59 AM »
I thnk a far better solution is that sector commands not grant bonuses to any colony/system with more population than the colony/system where the command is located.

Because I can imagine "50 guys in a bunker somewhere. . . performing major governmental services for an area of space consisting of multiple inhabited planets" so long as those planets are sparsely inhabited.  Maybe that's because I used to live in a "city" that was the governmental hub for a million square kilometres.

That sounds a more interesting approach... but unfortunately it also strikes me as harder to program, and the resulting code seems likely to have more crannies for bugs and be less efficient (however negligible the speed hit may seem in the new codebase).

Preview edit: Which is to say, it's a new mechanic rather than an existing one being applied to another installation. So that's a very steep hurdle to overcome in persuading Steve to put it in.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 05:07:39 AM »
I don't see that it would be any more difficult a mechanic than 'unrest reduces production' or 'worker shortage reduces prodution.'  Especially if instead of a simple on/off for sector commands at small(er) populations, the mechanic becomes propotionately-reduced function.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
I... don't see how it would make sense.  I can somehow see how a sector command should be on a decently inhabited place... But that's it.

Surely a sector command on a 100 million colony has enough infrastructure to properly coordinate even a 1 billion planet. Anyway, it seems an arbitrary limitation to me. I can agree that it should use some population, but that's it.

And 50k people doing nothing else but coordinating... and supported by mechanization... are already a lot in fact.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 02:48:20 AM »
I think I can be happy with 50k.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 03:22:56 AM »
By way of comparison, the Pentagon employs about 30k people directly.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 10:32:10 AM »
However, Sector Commands don't do military administration. They do civilian administration in C# Aurora, and keep in mind that the USA's own government employs some 200 000 people in Washington DC. Military administration in C# is done by Naval Headquarters instead.

Not all of the people in Washington employed by the USA government will be top level bureaucrats and their staff or other key government personnel, but a large number of them will be. I'd find it entirely reasonable that a Sector Command administrating a population of potentially billions on just one planet would require some 50 000 people as support staff for the assigned Sector Administrator.