Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 265998 times)

Offline Inglonias (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • I
C# Suggestions
« on: April 12, 2020, 08:09:39 AM »
I can't believe this is a problem. Auto turns is SO fast that at game start, it's unusable and I waste precious time. Can we do one of these things?

1. Measure wall clock time on the turn and if it takes less than, say 0.1 seconds IRL, have the game just delay for a bit if auto turns is enabled
2. Maximum number of auto turns box, similar to the minimum increments in VB6
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 05:01:51 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline RagnarVaren

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
Re: We've come so far - Auto turns are TOO FAST
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 08:11:17 AM »
I would prefer the second option personally

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: We've come so far - Auto turns are TOO FAST
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
Thats a feature I've always wanted aurora to have. In fact, what I want is max increments of the time you have selected, increments lower than that arent counted. Bassically if i select 5 day auto turns and have max 10 selected it will auto turn untill passing 50 days then stop, irregardless of how many smaller increments it hits
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Doren, Alsadius, JuergenSchT

Offline razanon

• Petty Officer
  • r
Screen Resolution
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
First of all, need to thank you Steve for that game. many years creating an empire, and living experiences no other game can bring.

i have new game, but old problems :)

as a lot people have, my screen resolution is 1366X768.

is there any way to change it? we need to use the 3rd party programs always recommend people?

thx in advance!

The following users thanked this post: aks2161989

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Screen Resolution
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
First of all, need to thank you Steve for that game. many years creating an empire, and living experiences no other game can bring.

is there any way to change it? we need to use the 3rd party programs always recommend people?

thx in advance!

These days we're a lot better off than twenty years ago when Aurora first overran 768 height monitors.  You can HDMI into a televison, or BlueTooth, or shoutcast, or AppleTv, etc.

Otherwise. . .  well, C# on .NET is supposed to be easier to resize windows than Visual Basic, so maybe?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:07:04 AM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: razanon

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

thx in advance!

According to Steam stats, only about 10% of people have resolutions below 1440x900, so that is why I chose that resolution. I don't plan to add a smaller resolution, but there are lots of options for cheap external monitors or using TV, etc.

The following users thanked this post: razanon, punchkid

Offline razanon

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
yeah sure guys, never wanted to add you more jobs!

i have a computer attached to the TV, so theres no problem to play normally, only wanted to know if im outside with my old laptop. :)

only wanted to know if theres any way to change it easily :)

Offline Energyz

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10641.    msg121077#msg121077 date=1586705036

According to Steam stats, only about 10% of people have resolutions below 1440x900, so that is why I chose that resolution.     I don't plan to add a smaller resolution, but there are lots of options for cheap external monitors or using TV, etc.   

I guess not a lot of people are gaming with laptops (cause you want a big screen, and a good graphic card), but the most common resolution is 1366x768.     According to  https://www. rapidtables. com/web/dev/screen-resolution-statistics. html Of course this table is for web development, but I guess still representative of what people want to use to play aurora if you remove smartphones and such
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:38:18 AM by Energyz »

The following users thanked this post: GeaXle, aks2161989

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Remove confirmation popup for research Create Project
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »
Since create project just assigns the researcher and labs and those projects can be cancelled with no ill effects I do not see much reason to show "are you sure" confirmation popup.
Since there's nothing being possible lost this confirmation is just one additional click to create a project

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, SpikeTheHobbitMage, Alsadius, JuergenSchT, Paul Shakur

Offline razanon

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »
well im using this computer only to design things, or playing games like Aurora 4x, Balrum RPG, Dwarf Fortress, War in the pacific... if i want to play any "elite Dangerous" ones, i have my pc :) but when im out and i have my laptop its good to have any games like that.

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Add a save line to Event Log on save
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
Would be nice to be able to check when you last saved if you are like me and tend to forget if I saved or not and want something to be able to look at and confirm instead of clicking save again

Line should have time of the save in the message

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 12:02:57 PM »
Having the ability to resize the windows to larger than your current window size would probably work. You would have to shuffle the screens around but it would be a good stopgap. I feel like some buttons are just out of sight. Very frustrating.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:08:12 PM by swarm_sadist »

The following users thanked this post: aks2161989

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Add queue to ground unit construction
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 12:35:49 PM »
Ground units construction is annoying if you're making a complicated Order of Battle as small units are built really fast and require the player to constantly come back to order the next unit(s) to be built.

A queue, similar to industrial production, would be a good improvement here. That way I can have complicated OOBs built automatically.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Restore next research notice in event log
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
In the VB6 event log, when a scientist completed a project and there was another queued up for them, the event log told us so. In C#, this is no longer the case. If possible, it would be nice to have it back.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, Doren, mike2R, JuergenSchT, Cosinus, Tunsku

Offline Jobran180

• Leading Rate
  • J
Re: Add a save line to Event Log on save
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 12:45:41 PM »
as a stopgap you can just look at the "Date Modified" of your AuroraDB. db in the main Folder

The following users thanked this post: Doren