Author Topic: v1.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 13403 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v1.50 Bugs Thread
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »
Please post bugs in this thread for v1.5 (out shortly)

Please check the Known Issues post before posting so see if the problem has already been identified. 'Me too' posts for unresolved bugs are fine as it shows they are affecting more than one person. Any extra information you can provide in 'me too' posts is very welcome.

When you post, please post as much information as possible, including the function number, the complete error text, the window affected, what you were doing at the time, if this was a conventional start and if this was a random stars game. Also if the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off. If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well.

Offline Wieseltrupp

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
Re: v1.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »
Orbital Habitats dont get counted towards the Population max except on the homeworld

I created a testgame with orbitals on a moon, dwarf planet and an asteroid, combinations with space port, cargo stations and the like do not make a difference

Windows
Fresh Install 1.0, Update to 1.4
Already existed in an 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3 install

since noone reportet anything like this in the bug report thread i post this here and test it on 1.5 again

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 12:40:00 PM »
Didn't get to post in the 1.  4 thread. 

Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10715.  msg123201#msg123201 date=1586962053
Quote from: Elouda link=topic=10715.  msg123056#msg123056 date=1586942059
The 'Load Previous' and 'Second Stage' dropdown boxes in the Missile Design page are linked, meaning when you try to select a missile to use as a second stage it loads the values of that missile, overwriting everything else. 

Reproduced but haven't figured it out yet :)

This bug is second only to Compressed fuel storage in annoyance value.   I removed the code behind it and even deleted the box and replaced with a brand new one with a new name.   Same problem :)  I'll come back to this later. 
Going to have to do some speculation here, but this may help. 

Assumption:
You are passing the same list / array object to both dropdowns.   Or are setting both lists from the same source (Ex:
Code: [Select]
var a = SomeQueryResultFromDb.ToList(); var b = SomeQueryResultFromDb.ToList();)
This results in both lists effectively being the same thing (i.  e.   pointers to same memory location of actual primitives.  )
The dropdown UI elements set some variable in the list of objects to true to indicate which one is selected.   Since both (inadvertently) point to the same list, they both share the same 'select'. 

Solution (If assumptions are true):
Do a deep copy of the list before assigning it to the second dropdown. 
Code: [Select]
var a = SomeQueryResultFromDb.ToList(); var b = SomeQueryResultFromDb.Select(existingDesign => new MissileDesign(existingDesign.Id, existingDesign.Name)).ToList();

Unrelated minor (non-fatal) UI bugs:
In the Ground Forces window, in the Unit Class Design tab, if you click the first entry (The headers) of the list, you get error #2608 and #1838 "Object reference not set to instance of object.  " in both cases. 

Note: This is from the 1.  3 version, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it.   (Also very minor, so only really reporting it for keeping track.  )
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:48:42 PM by UberWaffe »

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »
Steve, I'm continuing from the 1.4 thread since it got locked. This was our exchange:

Quote from: Me
    I have the following issue:

I'm adding an army through SM, I've created a brigade with four battalions and two artillery batteries. Now, as far as I know, formations under the same parent formation can support each other, and indeed, one infantry battalion, when dragged on top of another, gives support, however, I want the artillery batteries to support the infantry battalions, but whenever I drag them over to add suport, they are added as a sub-formation of the battalion. In practice, the artillery battery gets attached to the infantry battalion.

Quote from: Steve
Is the artillery battery attached to the same parent formation when you drag it over the infantry formation?

The answer is yes.

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
Posted in V1.40, but still exists in V1.50 (just tested):

In the Industry tab, if you queue several things (Queue C1, Queue C2, Queue C3...), and then you remove one item, you can't move items up or down on the queue if they would go "over" the removed item. So if you remove C5, then you can't move up in priority C6, or down in priority C4.

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
Oh. I was posting a bug report with DB file (loading too long) for 1.4 when the thread was locked. I'll post it here in case it may be useful somehow. Otherwise, don't mind me.

Off-Topic: show
1) When assigning target (in range) and then assigning it to the fleet (Naval Organization window / Ship Combat tab), I keep getting Function #2737 Object reference error, very consistently.

"Open Fire Fleet" also gives the same error.

Attaching DB file. Select "TF 1 Lightning" fleet and target nearby enemies with gunnery FCS.

2) "Assign to Sub Fleet" FCS targeting order goes into nearby sub-fleet, that is another fleet with the same class ships under the same higher level sub-fleet formation (ie Same Destroyer Squadron, but different Destroyer Division). Or, maybe, it just goes to the whole fleet, I'm not sure.

DB file (1.4).
In the same DB, you can see sub-fleets DesDiv 1 and DesDiv 2 under DesRon 1 sub-fleet. Giving "Assign to Sub Fleet" orders to one division gives it to the ships in the other division.

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
Not a bug per se, but it would be real nice if the create game function asked if we really wanted to call the new game we are creating the default name if we click "Create' before changing it...

3 times out of 4 so far I remembered about a 10th of a second after clicking create... doh!

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »
Very minor "Select System Name" bug:  I started a new game in Sol, went to System View, clicked "Select Name" to try out the new button, then I clicked "Cancel" instead of choosing a name.

This erased Sol's name, which is the bug I'm reporting. However, I manually renamed the system back to "Sol". Then I tried to reproduce the "Select Name" + "Cancel" bug again, but it didn't happen again. The system stayed named Sol.

Also, thanks for adding this button!  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:54:55 PM by Ancalagon »

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
Minor typo: I was curious and went through the buttons along the top of the map with Windows narrator running. The auto turns button says "OAtmated Turns". I'm guessing there's a typo?

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
Orbital Habitats dont get counted towards the Population max except on the homeworld

I created a testgame with orbitals on a moon, dwarf planet and an asteroid, combinations with space port, cargo stations and the like do not make a difference

Windows
Fresh Install 1.0, Update to 1.4
Already existed in an 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3 install

since noone reportet anything like this in the bug report thread i post this here and test it on 1.5 again
You need to have population on the planet for orbital habitations to count for population limit. Did any of these have any population in them?

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »
The missile design form doesn't refresh after completing research on a missile design. You have to close the window and then open again to see it.

Need to add a "refresh" button to all forms so we can force a refresh without having to close and open again. This would save a lot of window moving as having to click on the system display buttons to ge tthe form back puts everything else behind that form.

Also, the "Load previous" and "second Stage" drop downs are still linked...  <noted above in time lag posting...>
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:10:31 PM by Randy »

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
This "works" in 1.5 to

Might just be "don't do that, stupid" thing, but I managed to completely lock the game.

1. Created 2 Admin command under a third one
2. Moved one of the new ones in under the other.
3. Realized I'd arranged them in the wrong order, so I tried to move the upper one in under the lower one with drag and drop.
4. Profit
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
Only been able to produce this once so far, but when creating a new game, after the player race creation has been done and the game is loading up the new start if I click on any other window than Aurora it seems possible trigger a 'Out of Memory' error immediately on bringing window focus away from Aurora.

New game settings were:

Real Stars.
1500 maximum stars.
4 NPRs
1 Player Race.
50LY NPR minimum, 150LY NPR maximum.

System settings
Ryzen 3700x.
16GB DDR3 @ 3600Mhz
Game Running off of my secondary HDD, not my OS SSD.

If it matters at all, I tend to leave my computer running for days at a time if I am off from work, so the machine has been running all week across probably around 16-20 different instances of playing Aurora across this week.

It looked like the game managed to create the new game after the out of memory error, though I started a new game to be safe which loaded fine with no error.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:09:06 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
Is it just me, or does the default game in the 1.50 database not have any systems? The main map window is blank, and I get this same error when trying to open any window:

Function #155: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »
Is it just me, or does the default game in the 1.50 database not have any systems? The main map window is blank, and I get this same error when trying to open any window:

Function #155: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Default Federated game loaded fine for me. Might want to delete your database and .exe and copy across the 1.5 ones again. Sounds like a corrupted DB somehow.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement