Author Topic: Real-World Next-Gen Tech Suggestions  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Ehndras (OP)

• Voidwalker
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
Real-World Next-Gen Tech Suggestions
« on: May 06, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
When Aurora came out, these were pie in the sky. Nowadays they're reality. Cmon, let me mount energy weapons on my ground troops :P

Status Confirmed for unclassified public domain systems in development, testing, or active use; Rumored for anything I can't cite and substantiate with unclassified data.

As an American I can't speak much for other nations' development, but feel free to comment and contribute! (Keep it unclassified and spare us the headache.)

---

[Confirmed] As of 2014, the AN/SEQ-3 Laser Weapon System or XN-1 LaWS mounted directed-energy system was capable of successfully disabling both unarmored vehicles and aerial drones.

In 2017 we began development of a second-generation system for anti-missile interdiction.

2014 test:

---

[Confirmed - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_energy_projectile // https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21225892 ) The Pulsed Energy Projectile (PEP) anti-riot / anti-personnel system had a range of 2km. Laser ablation induced plasma pulse wave. Effects range between pain, paralysis, and death. [Disbanded thanks to Whiny A-hole civilians Against futuristic Knicknacks (WAACK) aka the general public]

---

[Confirmed - Development by SAAB: https://saab.com/land/ground-based-air-defence/air-defence-missile-systems/mshorad ] Maneuver-Short-Range Air Defense (MSHORAD) Remote Weapon Systems (RWS)

Ex: Stryker Armored Vehicle mounted autonomous directed-energy weapon, as referenced by the linked SAAB MSHORAD publication.

---

</Reserved for future material>

NO classified US-based defense systems or relevant technology. Any such references will be deleted. Non-US systems are fair game, for the most part.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:41:27 AM by Ehndras »
"Boop!" goes the thermonuclear missile salvo

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
Re: Real-World Next-Gen Tech Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 05:33:32 AM »
Since your beam weapon tech contributes to Ground units strength, one would image you already do have things like that with TN era tech

Racial Weapon Strength is based on the highest tech level (TL) among Laser Focal Size, Railgun Type, Meson Focal Size, Particle Beam Strength and Carronade Calibre.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline Ehndras (OP)

• Voidwalker
  • E
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
Since your beam weapon tech contributes to Ground units strength, one would image you already do have things like that with TN era tech

Racial Weapon Strength is based on the highest tech level (TL) among Laser Focal Size, Railgun Type, Meson Focal Size, Particle Beam Strength and Carronade Calibre.

True! Isn't that really  just for STO's though?

Would be great if at least static emplacements could use miniaturized variants of energy turrets like how missiles use engine tech or CIWS are independent designs. It would add a lot more depth to some otherwise boring unit possibilities, and make it less of a "find-the-meta" and more dynamic like space combat.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:56:06 AM »
Tech level od your space weapons affects all weapon types used by ground units.

The thing is only specified ground unit weapons are autocannons. The rest is not specified. So your infantry Personal Weapon can be some kind of gauss rifle or laser carabine or whateverm, depends on your role play. Game only states that it does x damage has x penetration and shoot x shots.

Offline Ehndras (OP)

• Voidwalker
  • E
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 04:19:26 AM »
Understood. Makes sense. Maybe some day we'll have greater customization options.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:37:51 AM »
Understood. Makes sense. Maybe some day we'll have greater customization options.

What sort of greater customization options are you looking for?

I'm curious, because if you compare to VB6, the customization options have already been VASTLY improved. I'm not saying it can't be improved still, but it has already improved immensely compared to what we were used to. If you are looking for more specified customization, then I'd probably argue against that. I think that one of the strengths of Aurora is that it gives you the basic mechanics and allows you to define how they are represented in the game.

For one of my coming games infantry with light personal weapons will be defined as Plasma Hounds - a genetically modified breed fielded in large numbers. Medium vehicle with double anti-vehicle modules could most definitely be infantry equipped with powered exoskeleton armor mounted with laser cannons. Ultra-heavy vehicle with crew anti-personnel could be an alien monster that tears through infantry, has a harder time against armored units, but is hard to kill.

Offline Ehndras (OP)

• Voidwalker
  • E
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 05:00:18 AM »
Interesting! Hoping for an AAR down the road, can't wait to read your unique take on Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »

What sort of greater customization options are you looking for?

I'm curious, because if you compare to VB6, the customization options have already been VASTLY improved. I'm not saying it can't be improved still, but it has already improved immensely compared to what we were used to. If you are looking for more specified customization, then I'd probably argue against that. I think that one of the strengths of Aurora is that it gives you the basic mechanics and allows you to define how they are represented in the game.

For one of my coming games infantry with light personal weapons will be defined as Plasma Hounds - a genetically modified breed fielded in large numbers. Medium vehicle with double anti-vehicle modules could most definitely be infantry equipped with powered exoskeleton armor mounted with laser cannons. Ultra-heavy vehicle with crew anti-personnel could be an alien monster that tears through infantry, has a harder time against armored units, but is hard to kill.

I second keeping ground combat at approximately the current level of abstraction. It is important, I think, not to over-specialize in this area.

To quantify this statement further consider the following example: using the current ground combat system one can design a 1000 man strong, sword armed, Roman-esque legion, or alternatively, a 10 man strong, plasma rifle armed, Aliens-esque mech platoon. To me, that is a gloriously successful system.

I could see an argument made for adapting the ship design interface to ground combat unit design, but that to me seems to be a substantial undertaking and I doubt we will see it in our lifetimes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:11:53 PM by liveware »
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 01:53:16 AM »
I'd like to see some automation options that would reduce the amount of crew needed for the ship to function. The tech could result in AI technology that drastically reduces the need for crew and makes the ship run more efficiently but there is a remote chance it could go rouge...

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:13:35 AM »
I'd like to see some automation options that would reduce the amount of crew needed for the ship to function. The tech could result in AI technology that drastically reduces the need for crew and makes the ship run more efficiently but there is a remote chance it could go rouge...
Only if there is a new race that can hijack AI and turn your ships against you  ;D - so you have to keep your old Galactica class Battlestar...

The following users thanked this post: alex_g

Offline Frank Jager

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »
Only if there is a new race that can hijack AI and turn your ships against you  ;D - so you have to keep your old Galactica class Battlestar...

This.... This would be badass

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler