Author Topic: Adjusting submenu display sizes.  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Adjusting submenu display sizes.
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »
My monitor is set for it's max of 1920x1080 resolution. The main screen displays just fine. However if I open any submenu, the window that opens is ever so slightly 'larger' than 1080, which causes the bottom menu bar to be for all intents inaccessible. Maximizing the submenu to full screen does nothing to help, same problem, it is too long. Clicking and dragging the menu is futile, as the window is too tall regardless.

Is there some setting I have missed somewhere to address this? Is this game perhaps meant to be exclusively played on 1440P monitors or larger? I used to be able to play a few years back with the VB version. Right now I am utterly unable to play.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Adjusting submenu display sizes.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 12:55:50 PM »
I play on 1920x1080 with no problems.

Check if your Windows OS settings are set to increase the size of objects on the screen. It seems common for Windows to try and resize the screen to 125% or 150% if it thinks your screen is too small, and this will affect Aurora negatively I believe.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
Yea, that did it. My screen was set to 125% text. Now everything is much harder to read for my old eyes, but at least it is all accessible.

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 04:33:59 PM »
Hello, i just started to play C# and i found the following "issue" in the Research tab, see attached file.
As you can see the Completion Date is not displayed correctly.
The same issue is happening into the tabs of Shipyards; Shipyard Tasks; GU Training.

The Windows setting is on the "smaller" 100% for the font size, the screen resolution is 1440 x 900 as recommended.

What can i do?? i know in principle is not a big issue, but is really annoying and bothering me.
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »
Change your windows date display setting to a shorter date format.

The following users thanked this post: zirman

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »
Change your windows date display setting to a shorter date format.

Why does aurora use the long date format? Cuz windows 10 has both short and long formats and aurora forces me to change the long one to short which is a bit annoying.

Is it an OS compatibility thing?

Online db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
Why does aurora use the long date format? Cuz windows 10 has both short and long formats and aurora forces me to change the long one to short which is a bit annoying.

Is it an OS compatibility thing?

The author is in Britian, and the long date format in the en_GB locale is shorter than the long date format we use in the en_US locale; it doesn’t include the day name.

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:47 AM »
The author is in Britian, and the long date format in the en_GB locale is shorter than the long date format we use in the en_US locale; it doesn’t include the day name.

it'd be super easy to format datetimes to any arbitrary format to store in the DB or to display. same for the decimal separator issue. who knows why Steve doesn't do this. :'(

Online db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »

it'd be super easy to format datetimes to any arbitrary format to store in the DB or to display. same for the decimal separator issue. who knows why Steve doesn't do this. :'(

Luckily they’re stored in the database in a locale–neutral way, which reduces the amount of problems people have.

I think that Steve has ended up in a local minimum. The implementation he’s got is good enough for his use–case, and working on it requires temporarily breaking things, or even just the tedium of finding every place that prints a date and changing it to use a different date format. Since that work has a cost but no benefit to Steve, it doesn’t get done. I even offered to do the tedious work for him once, but sadly he turned me down.