Author Topic: Приветствую, камрады  (Read 5172 times)

Offline serger (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Приветствую, камрады
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:42:21 PM »
Chto-to poshlo ne tak - kirillica v tele posta ne postitsya. Nadeyus', Eric naydet prostoe reshenie.

test line:
????
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:46:23 AM by serger »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Приветствую, камрады
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 05:03:58 AM »
Google translate not really helping, but I think you meant there is no Cyrillic text in the body of the message, even though there is in the header.

I tried and it came out as question marks and emoticons.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline serger (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 05:49:57 AM »
Google translate not really helping, but I think you meant there is no Cyrillic text in the body of the message, even though there is in the header.

Yep!

Google translate cannot deal with "translit" (russian words, writen with latin alphabet transliteration).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 09:25:48 AM »
I had to learn a little Russian for work a few years ago, although lost almost all of it now. Grammar is pretty horrific :)

Speaking of languages...

I had a Mandarin teacher here on the Isle of Man for a while. A very difficult language. It's tonal, with the meaning of a word changing based on how you pitch your voice. You can have a flat tone, a downward tone, an upward tone or a U-shaped tone where you pitch down and then back up. There are also rules about changing the tone based on adjacent words, so you can't have three U-shaped tones in a row for example - the middle becomes flat. A classic example is the word ma, which can mean mother, horse, scold or hemp depending on the inflection. Mandarin has no pitch-up for a question, as is done in many European languages, so you have to ignore your natural inflection instinct in questions or it changes the meaning of the word. I only lightly dabbled in Mandarin, but still a fascinating language. I wouldn't mind going back to it at some point.

In the last couple of years, I have picked up a little Hebrew, because it is spoken quite a lot in the office, although that hasn't been a problem recently :). That is relatively straightforward to learn - probably on a par with Italian or Spanish - apart from some of the pronunciation.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:42:42 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline serger (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 04:58:54 AM »
By the way, I have tried just now to put translit on google translate - and it works quite fine!
The last time I have tried - it was long ago, though - there was a mess.

As for Mandarin - I had a textbook only, but it was fascinating indeed! Isolating grammar, tonal syllables, complicated system of measure words and so on, conservative cross-cultural hieroglyphics, exotic things all around!

Offline serger (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 03:30:39 AM »
Как единственный активный держатель этого раздела форума, я должен уведомить о следующем:

В связи с полномасштабным вторжением вооруженных сил России в мою страну, сопровождающемся поддержкой и одобрением этой "специальной операции" со стороны подавляющего большинства населения России и русскоязычного игрового сообщества, я не имею больше моральных сил поддерживать русскоязычный раздел форума. Интернациональное товарищество, на сохранение и укрепление которого я надеялся, разрушено непоправимо, и я не вижу смысла оставаться на этих руинах.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero, xenoscepter, Geeptoon, gpt3