Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 124760 times)

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #375 on: November 27, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
Nice, now i don't have to manually include hull numbers in the ships names when i build them :D

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #376 on: November 27, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »
What would happen with new Hull Number feature, when I'll capture a ship of the hull type I already have some ships? Will she keep her original number or recieve new number as if she was recently built by my shipyards?

Interesting question. Currently, the original number will be kept unless you change it manually. I guess it would make sense to auto-update it though.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #377 on: November 27, 2021, 03:07:04 PM »
I’ll be that guy and ask the question but will we see 2.0 during the holiday season?  It is completely 100% cool if not - Lord knows I have plenty of other gaming options piling up and as always with this project, we get it when we get it.  But I do have an awesome idea for a new C# game and the new 2.0 features are too attractive for me to invest the setup time in the idea for a 1.13 game.  Apologies if question is an annoyance. 

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #378 on: November 28, 2021, 06:46:01 AM »
I’ll be that guy and ask the question but will we see 2.0 during the holiday season?  It is completely 100% cool if not - Lord knows I have plenty of other gaming options piling up and as always with this project, we get it when we get it.  But I do have an awesome idea for a new C# game and the new 2.0 features are too attractive for me to invest the setup time in the idea for a 1.13 game.  Apologies if question is an annoyance.

I don't know. There are still a couple of unresolved bugs I can't track down. One involves the creation of trojan asteroids that appear in a close-packed straight line away from the primary, yet at some point, usually after a few weeks, they fix themselves and work correctly. I'm also going to start a new campaign shortly. The existing one has been fun but not very challenging and I want to test a few new additions. Plus I am playing a few other games at the moment.

My guess would be after Xmas, but I might suddenly get a burst of enthusiasm :)

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, serger, pwhk, Lornalt, Gabrote42, dsedrez, vesisko

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #379 on: November 28, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
Plus I am playing a few other games at the moment.
Offtopic, but are you giving HighFleet a try? Has a good Aurora feel to it.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #380 on: November 28, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
Plus I am playing a few other games at the moment.
Offtopic, but are you giving HighFleet a try? Has a good Aurora feel to it.

Its on my Steam wishlist but I haven't tried it yet. I've been playing Battlesector and Valheim and I recently fired up Witcher 3, as I never really got into it when it came out. I've also just started Horizon Zero Dawn.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #381 on: November 29, 2021, 07:06:08 AM »
With the new option to "collect" minerals in a space station, it would really be nice if we could fully automate mineral transfer by allowing stations to have a mass driver module that can throw mineral packages through stabilised worm holes to a space station or planet in the next system.  ;D

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #382 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »
With the new option to "collect" minerals in a space station, it would really be nice if we could fully automate mineral transfer by allowing stations to have a mass driver module that can throw mineral packages through stabilised worm holes to a space station or planet in the next system.  ;D
Or at least from and/or to stations inside a system, so a small jump tramp can be set to transshipment duty (carrying minerals between stations in and out of the JP) without bothering with fuel, changing path lenghths because of orbital motions, restricted points etc.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #383 on: November 29, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
Hull Numbers

v2.0 adds hull numbers for each ship. These are appended to the hull designation for each ship for display and reporting purposes. For example, the sixteenth destroyer built by a race will be designated as DD-16.

This designation is not affected by class. If the last destroyer of the Tribal class is DD-25, the first ship of the subsequent class with the same hull type will be DD-26.

An option on the Miscellaneous sub-tab of the Ship Overview tab on the Naval Organization window allows you to specify a hull number for a ship, as long as that hull number is not already in use. If you specify a number higher than any existing hull number for that hull type, new ships with the same hull type will increment hull numbers from that point onwards.

An option on the 'Ships in Class' tab of the Ship Class window allows you to reset the hull numbers of all ships with the same hull type. This is done in order of original creation.

There is a display flag on the Tactical Map display options to disable the display of hull numbers for a given race. The difference in display is simply DDG-51 Arleigh Burke vs DDG Arleigh Burke. This display flag applies to all uses of the hull number throughout the game - not just on the tactical map.

There is a display flag on the Miscellaneous tab of the Ship Class window that allows you to toggle hull number display for a specific class. For example, you may not want hull numbers for fighters. The hull numbers are still created for this class, but are not displayed if the toggle is off.

Probably should be in the suggestions, but it would be nice if you could set a range for a ship class. I.E., the Constitution class starts with 1700.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #384 on: November 29, 2021, 02:08:42 PM »
I just realised this will mean I can have a half a dozen versions of eg freighters and have a nice continuous numbering system for them.

Can we use the hull number as the ship name like the current name+number option?

The following users thanked this post: Droll, dsedrez

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #385 on: November 30, 2021, 04:57:50 AM »
I just realised this will mean I can have a half a dozen versions of eg freighters and have a nice continuous numbering system for them.

Can we use the hull number as the ship name like the current name+number option?

I could probably add something that suppresses the ship name for display purposes, so you only see FT-1, FT-2, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Scout1, TMaekler, Droll, Migi, dsedrez, ISN

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #386 on: November 30, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
Just to clarify, if the first search is unsuccessful and the second search doesn't find an officer with the relevant bonus, does the position stay open?
Will a commander with no relevant bonus be selected due to their political bonus as part of either search?

One other thing, does disabling the political bonus in game settings mean it isn't considered for existing officers, or does it only stop new officers from aquiring the bonus when they spawn graduate?

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #387 on: November 30, 2021, 03:55:01 PM »
Finally: On-Demand Promotions  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, papent

Offline LuuBluum

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • L
« Reply #388 on: November 30, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »
How does this on-demand promotion system work with admin commands if there are gaps? Let's say the highest rank I can drum up from my fleet is a commodore, but my lowest-rank admin command that's currently vacant wants a vice admiral. Would it simply never be filled until a commodore is promoted (manually, or automatically if some other position were created for them) to rear admiral?

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #389 on: November 30, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
How does this on-demand promotion system work with admin commands if there are gaps? Let's say the highest rank I can drum up from my fleet is a commodore, but my lowest-rank admin command that's currently vacant wants a vice admiral. Would it simply never be filled until a commodore is promoted (manually, or automatically if some other position were created for them) to rear admiral?

The situation you're describing can only happen if the player has manually set the lowest-rank admin commands to a rank that is more than one higher than the highest rank ship posts on existing ships.

Which prompts a counter-question: Are you actually worried about this, or are you wondering if this new system is fool-proof?