Author Topic: Automated training  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Stryker (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Automated training
« on: April 28, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
I love the idea of training my ships.  But as it stands, it is a lot of micro.  My current training schedule is about 8 percent per cycle.  This means I will have to move them 26 times.  13 in and 13 out.  Now keep in mind that this is one training cycle for one group of ships.
What I recommend is the following:

1: The player places his ships in a training admin.

2: The engine looks at the deployment time, and trains the ships for that long.

3: At the end of the deployment time, training ends, and the ships in the training admin are given orders to refuel, resupply and overhaul.

4: Once the overhaul is complete, the ships resume training.

5: The current training complete warning pauses the game, so the player can remove the ships from training.

This would significantly reduce the micro of training ships.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:34:56 PM by Stryker »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Automated training
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:51:40 PM »
I love the idea of training my ships.  But as it stands, it is a lot of micro.  My current training schedule is about 8 percent per cycle.  This means I will have to move them 26 times.  13 in and 13 out.  Now keep in mind that this is one training cycle for one group of ships.

3: At the end of the deployment time, training ends, and the ships in the training admin are given orders to refuel, resupply and overhaul.

5: The current training complete warning pauses the game, so the player can remove the ships from training.

I don't remember because I still train manually only from time to time, but wouldnt the condition exceded deployment trigger the refuel resupply and overhaul if set up?

Even if the fleet is under the training admin.

Offline Stryker (OP)

• S
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 04:03:30 PM »

I don't remember because I still train manually only from time to time, but wouldnt the condition exceded deployment trigger the refuel resupply and overhaul if set up?

If under a training admin, fleets won't resupply, refuel, or overhaul.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »

I don't remember because I still train manually only from time to time, but wouldn't the condition exceded deployment trigger the refuel resupply and overhaul if set up?

My guess is that it should be treated as a bug then, as there is virtually no reason for the fleet to bypass conditional orders.

Online xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »

I don't remember because I still train manually only from time to time, but wouldn't the condition exceded deployment trigger the refuel resupply and overhaul if set up?

My guess is that it should be treated as a bug then, as there is virtually no reason for the fleet to bypass conditional orders.

- Yeah, I agree with this assessment. The idea that Training Commands cannot allow ships under their command to refuel, resupply, refit or overhaul is just plain odd. If anything, they should have MORE reason to do so than other commands and increase the amount of repair, refuel, resupply and overhaul they do.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »

This is false.
Fleets in a training admin can do anything except overhaul.
If you give a fleet in a training admin an order to overhaul, you will get an event telling you that the fleet won't benefit from training (and it also won't benefit from the overhaul order, although the event does not tell you that).

Offline Stryker (OP)

• S
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 08:49:40 PM »

This is false.
Fleets in a training admin can do anything except overhaul.
If you give a fleet in a training admin an order to overhaul, you will get an event telling you that the fleet won't benefit from training (and it also won't benefit from the overhaul order, although the event does not tell you that).

So you still have to move it in and out of the training admin, which is why automated training would be great.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 07:21:18 AM »
Well, we do have automated training. Ships gain both crew grade and fleet training as long as their commanders have crew training skill. The training admin command just speeds up that process at the cost of increased wear & tear to the ships. Thus, the cost of sped-up training is more micro for the player because it's an advantage. Just like a hundred missile fighters is more advantageous than ten missile ships but requires a lot more micro. But again, you don't HAVE to do that micro - you can win battles with ten missile ships and your ships will eventually get to maximum crew grade and fleet training even if they never serve under a training admin-command.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 04:00:29 PM »

Personally I think the micro is only an issue if training ships with short deployment or maintenance times such as fighters. In that case training them inside a carrier resolves the problem.
I'm impressed that you know how much training you can get out of a training cycle, I'd never thought to calculate it.

The problem with the suggestion is that the training admin command prevents ships from overhauling, so ships can't be given a valid overhaul command.
One possible solution would be to change the admin command from Training to General when the fleet needs to stop training.
However I imagine there would be quite a few edge cases, like layered training commands, multiple fleets within the command and so on, all of which would need logic to sort out what happens.

Offline Stryker (OP)

• S
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 06:08:03 PM »
Removing the fleets inability to overhaul would make fleet training more enjoyable.  There is simply no need for the micro. Having to move them in and out all of the time adds nothing to gameplay.